ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #29
pud333
Master of the Universe
Yamato's 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Custom with GBP armour.

Next up is Yamato's 1/60 scale VF-1J Hikaru custom. The VF-1J toy is the same mold as the VF-1S and VF-1A (see previous reviews), except the head sculpt is different, and it has the iconic paint scheme that represents Hikaru's valkyrie form the Super Dimensional Fortress TV show. Or, if you prefer, Rick Hunter's valkyrie from Robotech, as we've come to know it in North America.

I'm not going to go into detail about the VF-1J, since the mechanics of it is the exact same as the previous VF-1 valkyries, and you can see the obvious differences in the photos. I think the crisp, bleached white with basic red stripes makes the valk look amazing. (I am a sucker for white robots).

The GBP armour is the same one that Hikaru used during the tv show. You basically assemble it onto the valkyrie in battroid mode. There are little pegs to clip onto various parts, such as the legs, arms, torso, hips, backpack, etc. Like nearly every Yamato release, you get a sticker sheet to customize it as much as you want - or as little, if you are a minimalist. Personally, I like to make it look just like the show, with some extra stickers for added detail.

The armour's main gimmick, are the pod doors that open up to reveal an arsenal of missiles, ready to shoot down any enemies. As you can see, there are missiles facing forward, backwards, etc. Also, the boosters on the backpack are individually articulated. Not much, but they do move.

The armour also comes with extra parts to fill in any gaps in the VF-1J. Due to the nature of the transformation, there are inevitably gaps under the arms and behind the head. All you have to do is clip these in and shazzam! No gaps.

What I really appreciate about the armour, is that it doesn't hinder the already amazing articulation of the VF-1J. This is a huge plus, since previous armour incarnations would basically make your toy a giant brick. The MSRP is about $90 on this figure, but well worth it. This is easily the coolest thing I've bought for Macross since the DX Chogokin Koenig Monster. If you're a fan of the TV series, you owe it to yourself to buy one of these to go with your VF-1J. The VF-1J alone without FAST packs is approximately $110.

Last edited by pud333; 10-15-2011 at 11:23 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping