ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 AM   #21
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: Macross Toy Reviews

Bandai's VF100's 1/100 scale VF-25 Messiah Valkyries. In clockwise order: Alto, Ozma Lee and Michael.

These are valkyries from the Macross Frontier TV show. They're in the smaller 1/100 scale, and they are parts formers. Fair warning: when I say parts former, I don't mean you swap out a few bits and pieces. Unlike the Hi-Metal line, these parts formers completely embrace the concept of it, meaning nearly every single piece is swapped out. The point of this was to eliminate any unsightly hinges and to keep it as anime accurate as possible.

0.jpg0.1.jpg

These are basically repaints of each other, but there are some original parts, like the head sculpts:

1.1.jpg1.2.jpg1.3.jpg

Like I said. Parts former. There is only one solid main piece, and the rest you have to basically disassemble completely. If you're looking for a transforming toy, you will be sorely disappointed. It's like putting together a model, then taking it apart and putting it back together, and doing it all over again.

4.jpg

Gerwalk mode: Easily the weakest of the modes, but then, maybe it's because I don't particularly care for the gerwalk mode of any valk in general.

5.jpg6.jpg

Fighter mode: Like the Battroid mode, this mode is very anime accurate. I think these are the best looking valk designs since the original VF-1s. Michael's valkyrie comes with an extra set of spare wings, which have the speakers attached to them. This is so you can replicate the scene in the show where Ranka sings for the Zentradi soldiers and her voice is amplified through the speaker system.

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

Michael has a different gun also, his sniper gun, which comes in little pieces. The regular Messiah guns also come in two versions (non-transformed and transformed). This seems a bit silly to me, since I feel they could have easily thrown in a transforming gun, but then, it wouldn't be a full on parts former. There are some QC issues, like the gun on the right, where you can see it is warped.

19.jpg20.jpg

Pros: Very anime accurate, looks great. Despite the fragile nature, it is quite posable and while it doesn't have the pick up and play feel of a regular toy, you can still sort of play with it. If that makes any sense. Honestly, these should just sit on your shelf as they will be doing on mine. These also look awesome with the Konig Monster, which is reviewed right after this.

Cons: It's a pain in the ass to transform, and it is fragile. I dropped one from one foot up, and it landed on the landing gear and broke one of the wheels. Lots of pieces. I mean... lots. What kills me about this is everything is in place to have a near perfect transformation valk. Bandai just didn't want to do it, but if they had, I shudder to think what price they would have charged.

Honestly, I cannot recommend this unless 1) you're desperate for an anime accurate Messiah, 2) you can find this for $20 or less. Originally these things sold for well over $50 each, which is outrageous for basically a frail model. I got mine for 65% off from the HLJ sale, and you can find these now on Ebay for around the $20 price.

Last edited by pud333; 01-28-2011 at 05:13 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping