ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Metroplex79
Little Guy with Firepower
Question Why does Mattel not want articulation on their toys?

***This is not a history lesson, I'm just hoping someone understands why this strategy for their toys, and explains it to me***

OK, here we go...

I can understand early action figures like "He Man" back in the early 80s didn't have lots of articulation, just the basic head turn, shoulders, and leg joints.

Late 80s Playmates' "TMNT" line had the same plus the elbow swival. Also Kenner's mid-80s "Super Powers" line figures had knee joints.

Then in the early 90s Kenner had the same formula on action figures as they did in the 70s with the Star Wars line. The Batman and Superman Animated series still had basic head turn, shoulders, and hip/waist joints.

By the early 2000s, Mattel's "Justice League" figures were still the same type of figures. But when "Superman Returns" figures came, there were (shock!) elbow and knee joints.

But when the "Green Lantern" movie figures came, there's no elbow and knee joints, but the shoulders and torso can now rotate. Wow. But I do have to give props to Mattel for the extra stuff and large accessory the figure comes with. Some of the contructs were huge, and the rings are great for kids.

Comparing Mattel's superhero figures compared to Hasbro, there's a big difference.

Looking at Hasbro's Star Wars many figures since the late 90s; plus the fairly recent "Marvel Universe" figures, has incorporated some interesting ways for articulation. Although in my opinion some figures were hindered by too much articulation.

Does anyone know why Mattel's action figures lack at least the elbow, knee, and ankle joints? I don't care if the figure doesn't have elbow swival, wrist swival, knee swival, or the torso to have odd poses. Why are they made to be stiff, barely posable statues?

***Sorry if this sounded like a rant***

I've traded with and/or sold stuff to these people, and these people was so kind to say so:
Cybertron.ca feedback thread

...buyers stop by here:
Cybertron.ca BST thread
(last update: Aug 19/13 @ 11:00am EST, removed SOLD items)
Metroplex79 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping