Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #50
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

Why would Hasbro change now?

Think about it. They get to charge a higher price per unit, cut out the middle man (retailers) and not have left over stock that needs to be clearanced out at below cost, or have to store stock in a warehouse for years. Or deal with a retail partner screwing them last minute (Amazon and the TF Coneheads). Plus they get the money up front and can sit on it while manufacturing the items over the course of a year. Sure they may not sell as many units as they do at retail, but the higher price offsets some of that loss.

The reality is we aren't going back to the old retail ways for these types of releases if Hasbro has any say in the matter. Even their Titans (Transformers) are going up and closing in on $200US with the next one. And that is a wide retail release.

I agree that they are cannibalizing their Haslabs by doing so many at once. I know if they had done them back to back like Galactus and Victory Saber I would have gone in on the Rancor and Skystriker. (The Proton Pack does nothing for me)

However with them all being done at the same time I have to choose, so I am going with the Skystriker.

As for the Skystriker, remember that the most recent release was being clearanced for $20 at Walmart. So, again, why bother if you are Hasbro or Walmart? This way Hasbro can produce it for a bigger profit while limiting risk. It also works to ensure if fans want it, they have to pony up the full amount. If you don't see the value, which is understandable, then you don't have to get it. Also note that the most recent release of the TVC Slave One (oops sorry Boba Fett's ship) was $150US (at retail) and it came with just a stand and Han Solo in Carbonite. That is a, roughly, equivalent item to the Skystriker. So at least Hasbro is putting on the show of this being a bigger value with all the extras.

In the end the reality is that prices keep going up, and Hasbro is going for as much as they can. Comparing to previous prices is great to help with perceived value, but constantly saying something only cost $XX before isn't going to change the price of the current items. The only thing that would change Hasbro's behaviour is a hit to their bottom line that would be directly attributable to their prices/practices. Right now with each successive Haslab getting 20,000+ backers I don't see that happening.
canprime is online now   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping