ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon
Re: Star Wars Bandai Kit Thread

Bandai 1/12 custom painted. C-3P0 is absolutely phenomenal. CHROME!!!! Makes my Revo 3P0 look like a KO.

Behold the chrome-a-licious parts!

One of the most satisfying aspects to this set are the abdominal wiring. I couldn't dare use the decals provided. Just a simple run a some gloss red and blue (royal blue/white mix), grey (black and white mix) and flat aluminum and black paint on the wires and it just looks so alive. The layering effect gives it a three dimensional look and feel.

The eyes I painted with Tamiya Gold Leaf and then used a black sharpie to mark the pupils. I tried to bad a bit of paint there but it kept running into the eye socket grooves. Painting it from the back didn't work either. It wasn't dark enough for me.

Other areas I painted with Gold Leaf are the palm detailing and the bicep pistons (for the movable arms) and some of the back panel detailing (when cover removed). Also the four gold wire couplers visible on the front and back of the abdominal area.

The restraining bolt I painted Gun Metal with Flat Aluminum accents. and I added a little white to the comlink.

Note: be very careful when cutting some of the pieces off the mould. A few of the sprues are exposed on the exterior of the parts, which are vac-metal, so if you do not do clean cuts, you will experience some unwanted peeling. If your flush cutters are a little dull, you should consider replacing them.

This set is a great medal ceremony 3P0. I'll have to remove the restraining bolt though. I have another set and I was thinking of adding a faint black wash to the chrome.

Verdict

This kit is honestly a near perfect model. If I had to rate this kit, I'd say it's 9.9 out of 10. THIS is the protocol droid you're looking for...

Here are some comparison and progress pics...

Last edited by MULTIPLEX; 02-27-2016 at 12:08 PM.
MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping