ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 11:53 AM   #63
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-002
Hasbro- Transformers Titans Return: Chromedome

Looking back at cartoons and toy lines of the 80’s after all I these years it's now very apparent that the special characters that we hold so dear were likely the result of a split second choice from an intern who was coming close to a deadline and had to come up with names pretty quick. Granted, if I had to come up with a series of “head” specific robot names, I would certainly eventually end up with a gem like Chromedome. Thinking about it a bit it is an odd choice especially considering that in the cartoon he was know as Chromedome well before he became a Headmaster. It's kind of like naming your daughter Destiny and surprised that she becomes a stripper.

Name aside, the character is pretty special to me. Way back in Christmas 1989 I received him as a gift and I instantly became a fan for no other reason then that he was mine (funny how that works). I clamored for more media on the character, but given that the cartoon was done after his short appearance in Rebirth I was left with a bit of a void. It was partially filled with a small appearance in a UK Transformers Comic Annual that my brother and I picked up on a trip to England, but the story was more about Chromedome’s Headmaster partner Stylor and constituted more of a short story. Unbeknownst to me until the internet age, Chromedome did play a huge part in the Japanese Headmasters series, too bad the rest of the series is basically unwatchable. As one of my G1 favorites I was super excited to see his addition to Titans Return and felt it almost necessary to check him out as soon as I got him.

On the whole he is everything that I look for in a modern Transformer. True to the original, satisfying to transform and fun to play with. My only gripe is with the overall feel of the new figures with so many gaps that they look somewhat unfinished, but I assume it is par for the course on these new figures. I also love that they kept the feature that the little robot head can act as a driver; I cannot stress how much this increased the playability for me as a kid.

Overall I really enjoy Chromedome. Yes I was going to love him regardless, but I really feel that he is a solid offering. In truth I’m moving away from Transformers as a brand to collect, but certainly happy to finally have him in my collection.

Pros: Great representation of a personal fav Gen 1 character, great transformation, has a little driver!

Cons: New manufacturing process makes plastic section seam unfinished.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping