ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #347
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

189-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Greedo

Did you know that there was a deleted scene in the the Star Wars Prequels that featured a young Greedo getting into mischief thereby sending him on a path to his eventual doom at the hands of a Han Solo? Even though it wouldn’t have been the worst thing to come out of the prequels, I’m glad that they didn’t include it as it would be extremely unnecessary and a little too on the nose for Star Wars fans. Besides, I don’t think that the fandom could handle another retcon of that character, as having him shot at Han first likely caused a few people to commit harakiri with their toy lightsaber. Not that I blame them, but I kind of get it: Han Solo can not be a killer. He is a rouge, a scoundrel and even a scruffy looking nerf herder (sorry, language!), but ultimately he is a hero and in movies, specifically kids movies, and heroes do not murder people without just cause. Yes it softens the character from what Lucas originally had in mind, but looking back, I do not think that “shooting first” fits with Han’s overall characterisation over the scope of all the 5 movies. That said, I’m wondering if there is any redemption for Han’s edited “softer side” from the scene in Solo with Becket? I won’t spoil it, as you people who skipped it still need to watch it (cause it's a decent film and you are missing out), but to me it somewhat makes up for what the special editions did.

Pros: Really great sculpt that captures the details of his Rodian head nicely, Surprising good articulation with excellent poseability and a cool little holster that he can keep his fast than Han’s draw blaster in.

Cons: Nothing really about the figure itself, but he’s the 5th character in the Black Series line which again seems crazy from a release order point of view. I don’t think I will ever understand what Hasbro was thinking here and given that he was a shelf warmer for many years, perhaps Hasbro / the retailers didn’t either.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping