ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #462
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

264-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Reveal the Shield: Autobot Jazz

Rating of worst to best of the Transformers movies continued; see review 208-2, 213-2, 217-2, 223-2, 226-2, 230-2, 234-2, 239-2, 243-2, 246-2, 249-2, 252-2, 257-2 & 260-2 for previous instalments:

Transformers Movie Rating #3: Transformers The Movie

The Ugly:
Under my notes for the “ugly parts” of The Transformers I simply wrote “cliche garbage”. And while that might cast a fairly wide net for an action type movie, I feel that it could be systematic of any Michael Bay picture and it’s just so frustrating to see it present in EVERY Transformers movie. For example, within the first 5 minutes you have American soldiers talking about literally the most American thing in the world that it almost seems comical: “Watching the Red Sox playing at Fenway Park, eating a hotdog a drinking an iced cold Beer” LIke we get it: you are from the USA and you want to pander to the American audience.
Not to be outdone there is also the constant over sexualization of the female lead, which in this case is Megan Fox who plays Mikalia, a HIGH SCHOOL student. We are treated to gratuitous and unnecessary body shots throughout the movie and while this play is nothing new for an action film it is just so unnecessary at this point. Also keep in mind, this is a movie based on an 80’s toy line, designed to sell action figures to boys (and collectors). I can appreciate the Megan Fox is a pretty girl and “of age” at the time, but, as with Tesa from AOE, it is bizarre that a high school sex symbol in the the movie was still ok when it was produced.
Lastly, and probably most importantly, why did they have to kill Jazz? Seriously a total dick move Michael Bay, dick move.

Pros: The timing of these generations figures is a bit hazy for me, but I feel like this was the first updated “generations” style Jazz based on the g1 design, but updates for new collectors. I have always been a massive Jazz fan and regret never being able to have the figure as a kid, so I was really looking forward to this figure. Overall I really like the look of both vehicle and robot mode and feel the did a good job with the G1 Homage. The transformation is easy, but fun and articulation is typical for a modern Transformers. Perhaps the best feature is the 2 little speakers attached to his door that really completes the super cool Jazz persona.

Cons: Despite all pros that I mentioned, this figure is SO frustrating! Perhaps it is just my copy, but the joints are ridiculously loose and it makes posing a real challenge to find something that won't instantly make him instantly do the splits. Additionally the feet transformation is unessecarity stupid and complicated with a spring loaded flap that does nothing and perhaps most agreegious: in robot mode his chest will not tab in place making it look like he is in mid transformation as soon as you pic him up. If I was a kid I would have been really upset, hell, I’m an adult and STILL feel cheated; how was this ok? Thankfully I found a solution to keep him “together” so it’s not all bad, but If I’m being honest, after all these years, Jazz was a major letdown.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping