ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
megashockwave
Red Shirt
Re: Why do you collect Funko POP figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Ok, I confess: I'm a funko addict. Maybe I can shed a bit of light as to why people collect 'em.

First off, and I don't take offence to this by any means but the "why someone collects them when, in most cases, you can get more character accurate figures." is really a mute point...the same could be said for anyone who collects Marvel Legends, or 6" Black Series figure, "why buy ML/BS when you can buy Hot Toys?" for many the simple answer is "I could buy 10 Legends for the same price as a Hot Toys figure"...its a completely different scene on all fronts. For some: its cost, for others its quantity, or even display space. I buy a lot of legends, a lot of black series and have a few hot toys figures and other higher end figures and statues BUT i also collect Pops, and blind box figures. I'm all over the map and at some point need to say "I'm done with ____ and I'm not buying anymore of them".

As for Pops! ; I think they are pretty cool and its not very often that you can mash so many characters from an unlimited supply of properties and have them all fit in together without looking out of place. They are also fairly cheap considering the going rate for "toys". My GF is actually into them too, so it kind of gives us something to collect together. It's actually quite amazing that you can instantly recognize many pop culture characters when they are almost all sculpted to look alike...i guess they have character? I'm sure the bubble with burst at some point (a la beanie babies), but the resale value can be HUGE. I figure its only a matter of time before we start liquidating many of our Pops (and various other funko products) and only really keep the ones we are very fond of. We don't buy to flip, but its fun tracking your collection and seeing what many are selling for. Heres a link to our collection...its sort of embarassing considering how many we have accumulated over the past few years:

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/m...3HXU74SRNPA38/
Quite a nice collection, but its nothing to be embarrassed or ashamed about. With the sheer number and variety of pops available it is really easy to pick up ones based on your favorite characters, and you can accumulate a fair number without even realizing it. To put it in perspective, check out my collection:

http://www.poppriceguide.com/guide/m...FC21P6GHPSK7Z/
megashockwave is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping