ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 01:57 PM   #724
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

442-2
Hasbro- Transformers Fall of Cybertron: Sideswipe

As teased (or rather threatened) in review 432, I wanted to review and give some thoughts to each episode of the new Netflix Transformers War for Cybertron trilogy. The first season is out on Netflix right now and at only 6 episodes, it’s not a huge investment of time that I think is worth your time.
Now before I start with the episode reviews I thought I’d start with some initial thoughts as there is a lot to unpack with this new series. 1. It has been a long time since there has been an appealing Transformer TV series available to me. This absolutely meant for an older crowd and a return, or rather a step up, from the stuff we have seen in the past. I suppose that is why it is branded as a Netflix “Anime” given that cartoons are apparently not for adults… 2. The story is derivative of EVERY SINGLE OTHER TRANSFORMERS SERIES that you are familiar with. Not unlike seeing Peter Parker bit for the hundredth time, this is a very familiar story that will not knock your socks off. They do take some liberties with elements of the story or characters, with mixed results, and hopefully this will mark the end of this overdone storyline. 3. The CGI animation looks as good as anything produced these days, however I don’t love that the character model designs look exactly like their toy counterparts. I’m not asking for Michael Bay level nonsense, but the animators should have some artistic licence to make some basic changes to the designs that would improve the look of the character. 4. The VA is ok for the most part, but hearing a different voice for Prime threw me off. Not asking for Cullen again, but sounds like the actor is doing a Cullen impression.

More EP reviews to come!

Pros: Sideswipe is overall a decent deluxe class figure with a cool Cybertronian vehicle design, easy, yet satisfying transformation and a well-articulated robot mode. Also he comes with a straight up bananas looking massive gun.

Cons: Sadly these figures feel a bit cheap and are very simplistic as compared to the other deluxe figures of the time. Additionally, outside of color and head sculpt; there is nothing that really homages G1 Sideswipe that could include a shoulder cannon or even jetpack. At least there is a gigantic gun that he can’t effectively hold!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping