ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 06-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #1291
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

782-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Snake Supreme Cobra Commander

It’s been a while since the unfounded “controversy” of the availability of a “hooded” Cobra Commander in the Classified line, but I thought I would share some thoughts about it. If you are not aware, there was a tweet or answer from one of the designers of the Super 7 Sunbow G.I. Joe series that said (and I am paraphrasing) the hooded version of Cobra Commander was not on the table as part of this release. No other detail was provided or follow up from Hasbro was given, but many people speculated this was to distance the characters from other racist images of hood wearing folks. Overall, I could not give a crap; I don’t care in the slightest. Hasbro owns G.I. Joe and can do whatever they please with their characters. It is up to me as a consumer if I wasn’t to support that decision, or not. That said, what bothers me the most is the rampant speculation that followed and led to the typical discourse and division that happens with this type of stuff. All of a sudden Hasbro was a woke company that would not be getting any money from the purists that grew up with Cobra Commander wearing a hood and would never recover from such a slight to their childhood. I mean sure, it is entirely possible that Hasbro didn’t want the Hood for social issues, but perhaps they just don’t like that particular version of him and want to move past it. Hell, I’m glad the helmet version won out; I hated the look of that hood.

Pros: Snake Supreme Cobra Commander is a nice upgrade from the original release, but I’m still on the fence as to whether it is worth the extra money. As far as I can tell, the mold is the same, but has a much better paint job. He has a different belt and a holster that can hold his classic looking sidearm and similar sword and also comes with 2 new items including a golden orb and cobra head sceptre. Lastly, the biggest upgrade is the addition of the cloth cape that looks pretty amazing.

Cons: Your mileage will vary on if it is worth the extra money, but If I’m being honest it kind of rocks: I have no issues.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping