ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 01-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #490
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

278-2
Hasbro- Marvel Studios- First 10 Years: Tony Stark & Iron Man MARK 1

Given all the new details that have emerged from SDCC and D23 I thought I might be fun to give some thoughts on all the new announced projects. Check out review 267-2 for details about the new Disney plus shows and 273-2 for thoughts on the Phase 4 MCU Movies.

New Marvel Legends Figures:

Marvel legends have been amazing these past years with a bevy of amazing figures released in the past few years and more on the way. But as with anything else, I’m getting a bit burnt out due to cost and sheer frustration with exclusives and swappers..While I’m not sure what I’ll pick up going forward, I figured that I would simply say if i’m interested with a “buy on site”, buy on sale, or not with a “pass” on each of the reveals with some reasoning. This is not an exhaustive list as I’m probably missing a bunch and if you want to see what these look like check out toyark.com for pictures.

Cosmic Ghost Rider- This will be pricey and I have no connection to the character: Pass

Squirrel Girl w/scooter- I like unique new characters so this is interesting: Buy on sale

Giant Man- Cool packaging buy already have the BAF: Pass

Deadpool and hit monkey- Interesting set and I do not have Hot Monkey: Buy on (big) sale.

Jean Grey, Cyclops and Wolverine: “Love triangle 3-pack”- I’m a fan of all these figures and need that Jean to round out the classic X-Men; plus I already have it pre-ordered so… buy on site

Havok and Polaris- Unlike the love triangle 3-pack I don't really care about these two: Buy on sale.

Strong Guy- Apparently the BAF of an unannounced line so difficult to say. Looks cool though: Buy on sale.

Dani Moonstar (new mutants pack)- It;s an EB Games exclusive so I’ll have to see: Buy on sale.

X-Man- Chaulk with 90’s goodness, how could I resist: Buy on sale.

She Hulk- Not sure if the figure was a prototype, but looked kind of meh: Buy on sale If needed for a BAF

AOE Wolverine- I loves me some unique Wolverines so: Buy on sale.

Classic Vulture- Like the other classic Spider-Man characters I assume this will be a hot seller: Buy on site.

Morph- Such a weird choice: Buy on sale for the BAF.

Shang Chi- No doubt to create some buzz for the movie. If I like the move, buy on site, if not buy on sale. .

Random Spidermen (x2)- Meh- buy on sale for both

Superior Octopus- A unique design: Buy on sale.

White Rabbit- What is this? I dunno as its a unique figure: I guess buy on sale for the BAF.

Alpha Flight Box Set- This is a tough one but the price tag is really steep for a bunch of repaints. I suppose buy on sale.

Overall I look at the future releases and I’m not entirely pumped for what is on the horizon so hopefully they will add some more ‘flavor” to the waves. I will also put this out there that if they do not produce a “SleepWalker” in these next few waves I will be VERY upset; especially since White Rabbit is a thing…

Pros: It’s honestly crazy how I spent money on an action figure that is basically a guy in a suit. Granted, this is no ordinary guy and it’s probably the closest approximation of what an action figure of me would look like (when I wore a suit for work that is), but still, Hasbro sure knows how to get us. That said, it’s a nice looking figure and when talking MCU, there is a good chance that Tony spends more time on screen in a tailored suit over a metal one, so us fans really should have been clamoring for this. Fortunately it's the MARK 1 that really makes this pack worthwhile as I’m almost positive that we have not gotten a version of this in Marvel Legends form, from the MCU that is. I really like the overall sculpt and detail that was put into this figure and appreciate having a figure of the suit that really started it all.

Cons: Sometimes accessories can really help a release and I feel that Hasbro dropped the ball as aside from a flame effect, what you see is what you get. I also feel that the MARK 1 should be about 25% bigger as it’s pretty clear that there is no way Tony could really fit into that suit. I’d love to know if that was a deliberate decision for budget reasons, or if the designer just messed up and they had no choice but to run with it.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping