ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #78
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

2-009
Disney Vinylmation- Marvel: Red Skull

New Vinylmation can only mean one thing: A trip to a Disney Park! In this case it was a semi unplanned trip to Disneyland in California. I call it “semi-unplanned” because the real plan was to have a quick sunshine getaway to Palm Springs, but was cut short due to some unseasonably bad weather in the area. Having nothing to do for the day, we jumped in our rental car and headed west to the Happiest Place on Earth.

For those who don’t know what Vinylmations are, they are basically little vinyl figures, molded into a Mickey Mouse shape, that feature themed artwork and are sold in blind packs at the Disney Parks. They are released in series and each series has a theme. The themes can range from park specific designs, urban artistic designs and licenced characters like Marvel and Star Wars. They were marketed as collectible and tradable given the blind package gimmick, but I never really loved that aspect of it. Over the years I have amassed a small collection as I make it a point to purchase at least one everytime I go a Disney Park, which incidentally is quite a bit. Here’s hoping that I’ll be able to get my favorite souvenir for years to come, but I’m not so sure as it seems as though the popularity of these are fading somewhat and new series is getting more difficult to find.

My kids and I also have a bit of a tradition that we have for every new Vinylmation purchase. Because they are blind boxed, I have one of my kids choose one from the series that I would like. After I purchase it I’ll usually tell them which figure I would be happiest to have (based on all the options as shown on the box) and which I would be disappointed with. They will then open it and give me the good or bad news of which one I received and funny enough it's usually a decent figure. This particular time, the task fell on my Daughter’s shoulders as my son was not with us for the trip and she picked exceptionally well. Red Skull here is what is referred to as a “chaser” figure and is apparently one of the more rare ones. This was pretty cool as I never picked a chaser figure before and it is certainly unique give the fact that is the only villain of this series and basically the Marvel Universe equivalent to Hitler painted on a Mickey Mouse figure.

Pros: A reminder of my fun day at Disney and a rare figure to boot!

Cons: None.

Edit: Sorry for the grainy ass pictures.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping