Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
wedge1021
Mutant
Re: Toys"R"Us Has Record Losses in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkamanraiden View Post
I've noticed over the last couple of years that they have started to fall back on bad inventory habits. They had some major issues about 10 years ago where they would sit on inventory for months (and years) and would not clearance it. I remember a display of SW Phantom Menace merchandise that sat for almost 6 years untouched.
My local TRU has had about a dozen Yarna figures from the Star Wars Legacy Collection from 2008. That's 6 years, and it took them about 4 years to drop them to "clearance" at $6.98. Big surprise, they still didn't move. A couple months ago they finally dropped them to about $3 each. Either someone came and bought them all because they were sick of looking at them for so long, or the store just dropped them altogether. Think of all the newer action figures that could have filled those 3 pegs over and over again in that time. About 6 or 7 different line looks have come and gone in the time that those sat there.

Having boat loads of the utter garbage that toy manufacturers are putting out these days has not helped TRU either. Hasbro is a major perpetrator here. Aisles full of Angry Birds, cheap 5 POA Star Wars and Marvel figures, either over-simplified or overly-complicated Transformers, and over-shipped toys of "popular" characters have proven difficult for even the most aggressive retailers to sell off. Meanwhile it has often been tough for us collectors to find the higher-quality, higher-priced items we crave so much (TF Masterpieces, Marvel Legends, 6" Black Series, etc, etc).

Last edited by wedge1021; 03-28-2014 at 02:14 PM.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping