ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 10-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #1404
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

851-2
NECA- Disney’s Gargoyles: Goliath

It’s pretty clear that I am a fan of all things Disney, but even the biggest critic has to agree that Disney went HARD in the 90’s. So hard in fact that reverberations are still being felt 20+ years later. Yes of course there were the theatrical movies and the growth at the parks, but how else can you explain a relatively obscure series that had nothing but a syndicated cartoon and maybe a comic book, maintaining popularity to the point of a full toy line by NECA all these years later? Answer: Because Disney went hard in the 90’s. If you don’t believe me that’s fine, but do yourself a favor and check out the first 5 eps of Gargoyles on Disney Plus and tell me there wasn’t something very cool going on there. Unfortunately I think the series was cut short, but the long term effects remained: people still love it to this day and the popularity of this NECA series speaks for itself. I just wish these were easier to come by in Canada.

Pros: As a fan of Disney and cool toys I figured that this NECA Goliath was perfect for my collection and for the most part he lives up to the hype. First thing that should be noted is that he is big. Not like a 12 inch figure big, but like imposing for a 6-7 inch size class. This is both good and bad (see Con’s) but given what he is and should be, this makes him very cool and exceptionally imposing. Second thing is that the sculpt is AMAZING and has a ton of detail that was not present in the animation model and can we talk about those wings? Like Mr. Potato Head said in Toy Story: “Whoa, Impressive wingspan!”. Lastly, NECA has done well to include some decent accessories including an alt “angry head”, some fists, a tail, a book and of course… a Jalapeno Pepper. Wait what?

Cons: Sometimes too much of a good thing is not so great, and I think Goliath is right on the cusp. I mean, of 1000ish reviews he has been one of the few that can’t fit into the lightbox. How am I supposed to get him on the shelf, let alone the whole crew? Thankfully his ingenious wing cape is included with his dog(?), but I think it’s bad form to not include it from the jump. Also, his “hair” somewhat limits the overall possibility of the head and makes it seem as though he is looking down all the time. Quick aside, I know that my photos are kind of weak, but they do not do him justice. In hand he really is something else.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping