ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion

View Single Post
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #320
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

170-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Robin

Two Robin’s in and we still do not have the original Batman from the Animated Series; such and odd choice by DC Collectibles. I mean, I know he’s coming down the pike and I certainly do not mind another Robin Figure, but really, Still?

The Animated Series “Timm-Verse” Is interesting to me as while it seemed like they were treating the subject matter with a good amount of reverence and respect, they really shied away from the Jason Todd Robin arc and skipped right to Tim Drake. I can understand given that it was basically a cartoon series aimed and kids developed to sell toys, but it's not like they didn’t take on some pretty heavy topics at times. If I had my way it would have been a two parter, with Batman feeling guilty about Dick moving on and trying to make it right with another ward, but only to have the Joker killing him off to end the series with Batman questioning whether or not he should continue his crusade for justice (a la The Dark KnighT). Then, theoretically, they could have explained that the New Adventures of Batman was set a year or two after those events thereby giving a reason as to why it looks different. Hell, I could even see this as another Direct to video DC animated movie and would totally be down to rite it (call me Mr Timm! I promise it would be better than Batman and Harley!)

Pros: I have alway been a big fan of Tim Drake in the comics, but I never really thought he was too sussed out in the “Timm-verse” where he was treated more like Robin 2.0. However, I will say that in the New Adventures, Tim acted more like Robin (wise cracking and full of energy then Dick’s Robin did in the Animated Series. To add to the confusion, Dick’s Robin suit was more reminiscent to the Tim Drake costume from the comic (which is why I liked it) and Tim’s Costume was more like the Jason’s Robin costume from later versions of the Jason Todd Story arc. I suppose this is a long way of saying that I like the costume on this version of Robin and the sculpt does well to capture the look of a younger, less serious Tim Drake.

Cons: Not sure what the general opinion is on this with the fandom, but I enjoy how all the “Robin” characters are similar yet different. Not only are their costumes and personalities different, but their go-to weapon is unique and I when I think of Tim Drake Robin, I think extendable Bo staff. So, while I cannot recall the specific episode that this figure was modeled after, I don’t think that Tim ever was given one in the series, which is a bit of a shame. I also don’t love relatively larger head that he has in relation to his body. I feel as though it is cartoon accurate, but a stylized choice that I didn’t really love between the 2 series.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote

» Action Figure Shopping