ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Kwl22
Red Shirt
Tough to find

Hello everybody!

So over the last year or so I've been steadily increasing my marvel legends collection. I am based out of Pei and as a result it's not always easy to find certain figures.

I'm noticing however that while some figures are tough to find, others seem really easy. Sometimes even figures that go for more on Amazon and eBay.

I'm wondering if there's anyway to know which figures are more desirable, which ones I should shell out th extra for, and which I could hold off on for a while.

If anyone is looking for a particular figure and not having luck, pm me and I might be able to help.
Kwl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Hoffman
Agent of Shield
Re: Tough to find

Aside from knowing the double-packed figures, you really just need to be in tune with the collecting community. What you read on online forums does tend to reflect broader demand, although there may end up being specific variances.

Even that isn't fool-proof though. There will be figures that hang around forever on discount, but then demand shoots up as soon as they can't be found in stores. Pizza Spidey and Thanos wave Captain America are 2 examples of that.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
SkitchDC
Clonetrooper

You just need to use your good sense my friend. Deadpool and Civil War have a movie out. People also have a hardon for Wolverine and Ironman. So you gotta figure those figures will be popular and then low and behold a month or two later when Deadpool and Black Panther figures hit shelves they are selling out fast. Along with typical staples like wolverine and ironman. Figures youve never heard of or are minor villains will be easier to find on shelves.
SkitchDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Wintermute
Master of the Universe

Hoffman is quite correct.

Another example is the Black Series 6" Anakin Skywalker. I got him for about $25 at a Fan Expo in 2014 and nobody seemed to be clamoring for that figure.

Flash forward to earlier this year and I'm seeing that same figure selling for upwards of $85 - $125 new.

I mean shit, no one even really liked Hayden Christensen as Anakin, so that figure was definitely one that gained a surprisingly high value.

Mind you, it could also be that he ended up being part of a more limited run of figures, when Hasbro really had trouble with their Black Series distribution, but that price is still substantial.
Wintermute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Kwl22
Red Shirt

Thanks guys! I appreciate the reply. I know it's not really a science and to in part chance. I kind of figured go for the main ones and leave the b characters for another day. Grabbed a couple black panthers today!

Oh Hoffman, Is there a way to know who the double packed figure is?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwl22 View Post
Oh Hoffman, Is there a way to know who the double packed figure is?
Check online stores like Canucktibles, Entertainment Earth, BBTS, etc. They all usually have pre-order listings for full wave cases, with a breakdown of each case listed. So you'll be able to tell which figures will be in each case, including any double-packed ones, months ahead of time.

I gave up on buying figures at retail long ago. I got sick and tired of hunting for those few high-demand figures every time, then having to break down and buy them from ebay scalpers. It doesn't help that I typically buy every new figure. Now I pre-order full cases and sell off any extras or undesired figures. I never miss a figure and the price still works out pretty good in the end. That just leaves the odd exclusive figure to track down, but even those aren't too bad to find from somewhere.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:26 PM   #7
Kwl22
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Check online stores like Canucktibles, Entertainment Earth, BBTS, etc. They all usually have pre-order listings for full wave cases, with a breakdown of each case listed. So you'll be able to tell which figures will be in each case, including any double-packed ones, months ahead of time.

I gave up on buying figures at retail long ago. I got sick and tired of hunting for those few high-demand figures every time, then having to break down and buy them from ebay scalpers. It doesn't help that I typically buy every new figure. Now I pre-order full cases and sell off any extras or undesired figures. I never miss a figure and the price still works out pretty good in the end. That just leaves the odd exclusive figure to track down, but even those aren't too bad to find from somewhere.
Thanks! That makes sense to order in bulk. Something I might consider for upcoming waves.