ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure Collections Spotlight

Old 05-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
cloud
Master of the Universe
Disney Store excl Marvel Select Captain America (Movie ver.)

This figure is a rather interesting exclusive. It wasn't release at the same time with the regular version but rather first being available at Marvel store online on May 19th and then release in Disney Stores and Disneystore.com on the 27th.

The figure itself is referred as the "battle damaged" version but as you can see there's not much damage to Cap but rather dirt up. Brown paint has been applied to have that dirt up look. It's not that much of a difference to the regular release IMO.

What sells this exclusive version is that it comes with a Steve Rogers head. The sculpt itself is very generic and in no way resembles Chris Evans. I found it very curious that neither Diamond nor Hasbro release of Captain America's unmasked head resembles the Chris Evans. Instead both version of the head sculpt looks rather generic and does not resembles the Steve Rogers in the movie nor any comic art.

Another exclusive of this version is that it comes with a battle damage shield while the regular release has the red and white shield. From what I heard from Marvel, the blue shield is actually Cap's shield wrapped in some stealth wrap to dull the shield so that Captain America won't have a bright red shield to attract attention while he's under his stealth missions.(Which explains why he switched from his Avengers costume to this new Stealth suit). You can see the protective layer of the shield is being scratched off revealing the red shield underneath.

Part of how Marvel Select differs from Marvel Legends is that the MS figures usually come with a display base. Captain America comes with one that suppose to be part of the SHIELD building or headquarters.

That's why the SHIELD logo is sculpted on the ground. But honestly the base doesn't really do much for me. It's nice to have it but it really is just 2 pieces of plastic. I've seen better. The MS Bucky has a much better base with a shattered window and crates.

If you plan on buying this figure I suggest that you take extra care with the wrist joints. Mine broke while I was trying to move it.

But the broken wrist gave me an opportunity to do this.

I chopped off the front of the arm and put in a magnet and did the same with the back. The figure torso uses a ball joint which made it easy to drill holes in mid torso.

I forgot to take a pic of the shield before I mod it. The shield has 2 plastic straps for the figure to hold the shield but it makes it impossible to place the shield at the back of the figure.

I originally planned to place a piece of metal on the shield but it didn't work out that way. The magnets installed inside the figure got weaker because there's plastic interfering so I end up needing to place another magnet on the shield. The metal plate would have been less noticeable...

Last edited by cloud; 05-31-2014 at 02:37 AM.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote