ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #341
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!
Re: Hot Toys or other 1/6th goodness that makes our wallets cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
Yeah, I just saw that this morning. I have asked Sideshow for a shipping quote so we'll see. Someone told me Sideshow charged them $65 to ship to Ontario with another $50 paid to customs. If that's the case, that's still cheaper than CMD. Plus, if I'm paying that much, at least I know I wouldn't have problems if I got it with broken parts or whatever. (I've heard some stories). But at least that's an option for me. Thanks.
yeah, Sideshow's after sales customer service is top notch.

The things you should be looking out for on the tumbler:

1) Rubbing on the roof of the vehicle causing a "shine" to it

2) the axles (front or back) have been known to come loose on this new release

3) weak connectors for the spoilers. These break very easy, handle with care

4) I've read that the wheels themselves have some weird chemical reactions when placed on wood surfaces.

good luck dude
Old 12-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #342
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTO15 View Post
yeah, Sideshow's after sales customer service is top notch.

The things you should be looking out for on the tumbler:

1) Rubbing on the roof of the vehicle causing a "shine" to it

2) the axles (front or back) have been known to come loose on this new release

3) weak connectors for the spoilers. These break very easy, handle with care

4) I've read that the wheels themselves have some weird chemical reactions when placed on wood surfaces.

good luck dude
Thanks. I can deal with those problems. As for where, I know I can't leave it on my wood floors, so it will have to sit on a shelf somewhere. Maybe put a cloth down and have it sit on that.

Aaaaaaaaand I just went ahead and ordered. I thought, "Fuck it." lol. I even tried to talk myself out of it, but my girlfriend even said, "Just do it. You'll forever mope about it if you don't."
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #343
JTCh
Toku

pud, for the rubber tires, I'd recommend you use something to prop up the vehicle from the center of the bottom so the weight doesn't sit on the tires alone.

For all my radio controlled vehicles, I have them propped up by something when in storage because the weight of the vehicle (varies from a few lbs to 20+ lbs) makes the contact area of the tire go flat permanently over time. You might end up with a tire that's not round especially for these models that are intended to sit there and not move. I've even had worse case where the tires get fused to the wooden shelf over time.

Maybe just some thin piece of lexan/wood under the bottom so the tires are not touching the ground will do?

Last edited by JTCh; 12-21-2012 at 12:11 PM.
JTCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #344
pud333
Master of the Universe

That's some good advice. I was thinking of using some of the shorter Flexi stands that I normally use for my valkyries. One alone won't carry the weight, but a few of them evenly distributed might work. Or a block of some plastic or wood or whatever right in the center maybe. I already have a flexistand holding my Bat Pod in place, since I'm paranoid that it will topple over, since it is at the top of a shelf by the bed, I and I have a habit of rubbing elbows with the shelf.

I had a strange feeling this morning. I ordered it last night, then I woke up this morning and my first thought was, "Huh. Do I want to keep collecting like this?" Maybe something broke in my brain, haha, but I am now questioning whether I should continue collecting. I've already started cancelling a lot of preorders. Maybe I'll just buy a few high-end pieces next year and not go all out like I have in the past with collecting. I'm already losing my desire for most lines, and I think this may be the straw that broke the camel's back. We'll see I guess, but all of a sudden, I woke up thinking none of this is really that important anymore.

Last edited by pud333; 12-21-2012 at 12:20 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #345
aizen
Red Shirt

Congrats on making the purchase. I liked that your gf even pushed you to buying it. She's definitely a keeper. Not sure how much space you have, but may want to consider an acrylic display for the tumbler long term. From what I've read, it seems to attract a lot of dust.

On collecting, it's probably buyer's remorse. I used to be a huge Transformers whore, but I've since stopped collecting all the CHUGS/animated/etc and focused solely on the high end MPs. Best decision I've made and no regrets.

Unfortunately the same can't be said for Hot Toys. I got into it this year. I planned to just pick up the DX12 and and bow out. I've since PO'd the DX11, Catwoman, Bane, and the DX13. Plastic crack indeed. I'm almost praying that the upcoming Man of Steel figure turns out to be a dud because I'm pretty sure I'll bite on that too.
aizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #346
pud333
Master of the Universe

It's not necessarily buyer's remorse, just a realization that I can't keep spending like this. I already got a tracking number and its expected to come in next Thursday! So excited! I will probably stop buying a lot of toys next year.

For Hot toys, I will probably buy a MoS toy depending on how it looks. And there are a few Valkyries I still want. Like you, I switched to MP Transformers and that's what I will probably continue, but I'm not buying everything. Just picking and choosing.

I have no room for the tumbler, but I'll make it work. Haha.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:37 AM   #347
pud333
Master of the Universe

I just don't know what to say. This beast is beautiful. It is so... freaking... impressive. I love the weight, the finish, the overal production on this amazing toy. In terms of engineering, it's not as impressive as some of my Macross valks, but that's just because it doesn't transform. It does make up for it in sheer size. I thought they did, however, make some poor choices, like for the fins, the little pistons, etc. are so fragile feeling, they really should have been metal pieces. I figure I won't ever touch the fins. One of the little antennas was already off. I almost panicked when I realized something was rattling around but it turned out it just fell off and it was easily glued back in. I also felt inside the cockpit was pretty... plain. Disappointing, but I doubt I'd ever show it off with the cockpit open.

I had one major problem. While I was lucky nothing was broken, and the lights all worked fine, the cockpit was F'd up. One of the pins at the hinges was completely out and just hanging out one side. I was on pins and needles trying to fix it. First I had to pull it out without stressing the plastic, and then I had to push it back in without stressing it since it didn't just slide in easily. Took me a good 30 minutes to fix it without stressing the plastic. Drove me nuts. It was the major hing on the cockpit that allows it to flip up and lock up.

That said, nothing was broken and it was all fixed, so no harm, no foul.

This toy ranks right up there with some of my valkyries, and I could not be happier. Wow.

Edit: To add, it cost me $65 to ship, and another $66 in duties/taxes. Definitely still hurts, but hey, could have been worse.

For scale.

Last edited by pud333; 12-28-2012 at 04:25 AM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #348
aizen
Red Shirt

Wow!! Congrats!

Sucks that the Tumbler has so many QC problems out of the box. Glad that you were able to sort out that cockpit problem. That thing looks soooo impressive.
aizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #349
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizen View Post
Wow!! Congrats!

Sucks that the Tumbler has so many QC problems out of the box. Glad that you were able to sort out that cockpit problem. That thing looks soooo impressive.
Oh, it's so awesome. The qc issues is a bummer. Other people got it worse than I did. When you pay $500, you expect it to be perfect out of the box. That said, I've been collecting high end toys for a while now and I know there are always issues to be found even though the price point is high. My big fear was something breaking or the lights not working. That's why I ultimately went with sideshow. I saw I could get it cheaper from one eBay seller selling it for 430 with free shipping from china, but I knew I'd be out of luck if anything went wrong. Sideshow, from all I've read, has excellent customer service.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #350
CTO15
Avengers Assemble!

Great photos pud and congrats on the tumbler. It's one of my favourite pieces in my collection