ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 11-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #751
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

460-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Series: Wolverine

Wolverine a girl? Heck yeah. In the comics, Logan (the OG Wolverine) was killed and his “daughter” (via cloning) took over the mantle of Wolverine. That is my rudimentary understanding anyways, but it seems reasonable right? In any case i like the idea of a woman Wolverine and given the success of the LOGAN movie, I feel a lot of fans would agree.

Pros: It’s hard to imagine a time before the 6” figures that we all know and seem to love, but there is a subset of collectors that yearn for more releases in this size class. I get it given the reduced price point, relative small shelf footprint, decent pose-ability and nice sculpting.

Cons: Ok, not even going to bury the lead. For all it’s pros, I really hate that I spend $3 on Wolverine. It’s not that I hate the character, quite the opposite really, but she was such a disappointment out of the package. The molded hair limits any neck articulation, she doesn’t have her clawed feet and the hip joints have such limited movement that a non-ball joint would have allowed for more range of movement.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:36 PM   #752
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

461-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Disney Classics: Minnie Mouse.

I’m continuing my quest to watch and review the entire Disney Animation collection to date. See reviews 429-2, 434-2 & 456-2 for previous entries.

Fantasia
Release Date: 1940

There is no other way to say it: Fantasia is a masterpiece. And while it is far from my favorite Disney movie, it is an amazing piece of pop culture that I feel any Disney fan should appreciate. Sure, there is no dialogue, outside of the MC who is introducing the various scenes and musical accompaniments, but this is really just a full length feature film that pairs beautiful animation with music in a way that is both magica and surreal resulting in an amazing visual and aural experience for those who sit down to watch. And while there are limited characters per-se, there are a number of very well known segments that are as synonymous with any of Disney's most well known characters. two that come to mind is Chernabog (devil looking guy) from the Night on Bald Mountain” segment which was still used at the Disney California Adventure World of Colour segment and of course Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey who had a loose movie adaptation made, thousands of merch items, many other theme park appearances and is a personal favorite of mine.
Overall, if you are not a fan of classical music or rather enjoy a more typical story structure you’ll probably want to pass on Fantasmic, but given that it is available on Disney plus you can watch one or two segments at a time, or have it on in the background when you are doing something else.

Pros: I know that I say this all the time, but it’s a damn shame that Disney Infinity was cancelled. Yes, it had a good run that included a lot of characters, but the potential was amazing. That said, I’m glad that another one of the FAB 5 was able to be produced. Minnie is sculpted well in her trademark red polkadot dress, matching bow and yellow shows; overall a great little figure for all the Minnie fans out there.

Cons: Most of the Infinity figures have been really great poses that are easy to photograph, but I could not seem to find her eyes in my photos and she just ends up looking angry. Outside of that, as with all Disney infinity figures, she’s a static figure from a cancelled video game.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #753
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

462-2
Mcfarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Harley Quinn.

Continuing my quest to re-watch all the DC Animated features to date and give some thoughts regarding 3 key touchpoints: Animation Style, Voice Acting & Story. These are really just rough notes as I watched the movie and might not make a whole lot of sense unless you have recently watched it. See 290-2, 303-2, 318-2, 331-2, 344-2, 358-2, 369-2, 371-2, 385-2, 399-2, 414-2, 426-2, 441-2 & 453-2 for my previous instalments.

The Dark Knight Returns Part 1: 2012

Animation Style: For anyone familiar with the trade paperback that this is based off, the style of animation is very similar, yet more simplistic for more fluid movement. It loses some of the detail of the various panels, but still works for this medium. That said, I feel that a production company like Rankin/Bass (of Animated Hobbit fame) could have really nailed the overall look of this story.

Voice Acting: This movie is filled with a massive cast, probably double the amount of any other DC animated feature to date and they are all really fantastic: Peter Weller (Robocop himself) plays an older and stoic Bruce Wayne/Batman, Ariel Winter (Modern Family and various current tabloids) does well as the new Robin and Michael Emercon (Evil, Lost and Person of Interest) provides yet another version of Joker. Some familiar favorites show up including Rob Paulsen (Wacko from Animaniacs and Raphael from the OG TMNT cartoon) and Tara Strong (from everything). Lastly in interesting credits: Bruce Timm, who is the architect of the DC animated universe has a on-the-nose cameo as Batman’s Dad and finally Michael Jackson, not that MJ, but someone who acted in the UK in the 60s/70s/80s and had like 3 roles in the period between 90’s and his last role of Alfred Pennyworth in this movie. I mean, good for him for working and his Alfred is great, but what is the story here? It’s also his last role and he is still alive.

Story: It’s been a while since I last read The Dark Knight Returns, but I feel this is a fairly true re-telling of the book. Granted there are some notable differences, including a lot of missing internal dialogue easily present in the book, but it makes up for it in action. For those not familiar, The Dark Knight Returns is a bit of a “what-if” type scenario in which Bruce gives up the bat mantel after Jason was killed by the Joker. After 10 years of retirement his desire for adrenaline and lust for justice get the better of him and he returns to help the city that he swore to protect. There are so many iconic scenes that jump right from the page, but I really love the second fight scene with the Mutant Leader: it’s just so amazing and better than anything I've seen in the live action movies…

Pros: How is it that every new DC line releases a Harley Quinn before so many other better DC characters? I suppose Mcfarlane was trying to cash in on the recent Birds of Prey movie, or maybe even leverage the really great Harley Quinn cartoon, but maybe update the figure to that new look? Not that I hate the Black and Red jesters costume, but we have already seen it in from a number of different lines, when is enough, enough? At any rate, the sculpt is somewhat unique for McFarlane as each of the other releases are based on a specific version from movies, cartoons or comics, but Harley looks to just be a classic version not tied to anything. And that is not meant to be a complaint as I sort of hope that each DC character gets an eventual classic look. Articulation is typical for Mcfarlane and great for a female character and she comes with 2 character specific accessories and a stand.

Cons: Outside of the previously mentioned issues with the overuse of the character, I do have a bit of an issue with the standard joints as they are a bit bulbous and ruin the overall look of the figure.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #754
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

463-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations 30 Years: Hoist.

So starts the Generations series that was packaged with the generic Orion Pax sticker rather than an appropriate character specific printed one. For a collector who opens his toys it was not a big deal, but I would imagine a MISB purest would have been super annoyed. If I recall correctly, these figures in the states were released with IDW comics, but due to Canadian language laws we just got a sticker of a Jr. High Optimus.

Pros: Overall Hoist is… fine. I suppose a decent update for all those “Hoist heads” out there with a decent sculpt in both modes, a simple transformation and a good amount of articulation for posing. I will say that these Generation figures feel way more solid than the lot that succeeded them

Cons: The joints are a bit loose and the back cannon does not clear his head. Does he just hit himself on the back of the head when launching a rocket? Also the weapon, if you can call it that, was assembled incorrectly making the hook useless in vehicle mode. I was able to fix it, but even in gun mode it can’t point straight.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:19 PM   #755
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #756
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR7gZ9JTvgc
Rogue & Pyro Marvel Legends 2-Pack
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #757
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

464-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Luke Skywalker and Wampa.

Well this is one that I have been looking forward to for a long time. So long that I can’t even recall where I got it from. That said, I think it was some online retailer as I do not remember seeing this guy, or the Han on Tauntaun anywhere. In any case I love that these were produced and so early on in the line too boot; makes you wonder if they are not ready for a re-release. Maybe they can do a sub line with re-releases of this, the Tantan, the Dewback (which I did not get due to size), those things that the gungan’s ride on land, the things that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Padme fight in the coliseum, those Space horses from EP9 and finally that crazy sounding lizard that Obi-Wan rides on in EP 3: so many possibilities!

Pros: Luke- I’ve always liked this version of Luke Skywalker and I can likely chalk it up to a) Empire being my favorite Star Wars movies and b) me growing up in Canada where I could really get behind a decent looking winter outfit. Overall, Luke has a nice detailed sculpt, a decent head sculpt, fairly standard Black Series articulation and a blaster/holster and familiar
blue lightsaber. I will also say that I like how Luke was packaged as a fun nod to the film.

Wampa- I really like what they did with the Wampa and is very similar to the Chewbacca figure. Basically molded fur over a number of different ball joints that gives the appearance of fur while not sacrificing posability. It is also kind of fun that they gave him a removable arm to simulate arm cutting off action.

Cons: Luke- Minor issue that he has no wrist articulation. This was taken away due to the swivel cut at his glove, but it’s a bit of a bummer.
Wampa- Some people may like the removable arm, but I’m not one of them. Effectively sacrificed a ball joint and poseability for a gimmick. My Wampa’s arm has a tendency to fall off too.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #758
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 11-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #759
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

465-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Ghost Rider

Jeez, lever it to me to open the only 2 Ghost Rider Marvel legends for the past 6 years within 30 reviews of each other; ah well, not like it really matters though, it was GH or probably another Iron Man, Captain America or Spider-man. I wonder what everyone’s take on the 2000’s Nick Cage movies is now. I remember seeing it, and like many superhero movies from that time (Daredevil, Fantastic Four and the Ang Lee Hulk) it kind of fell flat. That said, perhaps it deserves a rewatch, I mean, I have to give them credit for making a Ghost RIder movie before an Iron Man movie, so there may be some redeeming qualities right?

Pros: Much like the Ghost Rider rider figure, the sculpt is the real winner on this guy and almost makes up for the fact that he comes with no extra heads, fists or accessories… almost. I suppose the next best thing about this figure is that it comes with the 2nd last BAF Rhino pieces and I was able to get him at WalMart for retail price.

Cons: Aforementioned lack of accessories is a big issue, so much so I had to add my own chains. Outside of that the joints had a gummy feel to them making me wonder how long they will last.

Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM   #760
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

466-2
Hasbro- Transformers Combiner Wars: Groove.

I’m really torn on Groove’s inclusion on the Combiner Wars Protectobot team. On one hand, as a traditionalist, Groove should have been a full fledged appendage much like his G1 Counterpart of the same name. But on the other had, I’ve never been a traditionalist, am open to new ideas (including a 6th member that acts as armour), appreciate that they designed a new character and mold to the team (Rook) and this that it is ridiculous to suggest that a police cruiser would be able to size shaft to match a Ambulance or Helicopter is a bit stupid. I suppose for the purists out there, a new version was created, but I never bothered as these guys were not my favs from the cartoon.

Pros: I may be in the minority here, but I like that Groove was not a traditional appendage and appreciate the extra armour. Outside of that, I have always been a fan of a pocket sized Transformer as it was easier to take to a restaurant as a kid. The bike wins the best mode for the figure with design similarities to Akira’s red cycle, but the robot mode is decently possible which is still a win in my book for a figure this size.

Cons: As mentioned the Robot mode is a bit of a lanky mess, but nothing compared to the “third mode” as, as noted on the instruction, does not transformer or attach the way they say it is supposed to on the instructions. As long as I continue to collect, I will never understand how there could be an issue from the design, instructions to the real product...do they not have an intern to figure this out?