ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #5221
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
I do have to say I find it frustrating separating all those plastic trays for recycling. It really is a lot of plastic and does seem wasteful. Alternatively I should probably just be buying less.
You'll be even more frustrated to learn that your recycling efforts may be completely in vain.

Most if not all recyclable material was being shipped overseas to China for processing, but a couple years ago China stopped taking our junk because it wasn't sorted properly, and was full of other, actual garbage.

It has since been reported that the company taking care of recycling in Montreal switched to shipping everything to India, where it was being burned as cheap (and extremely toxic) fuel in factories, or some such. A real environmental disaster.

I believe a new company has since taken over the contract, but as far as I'm aware, they are still shipping to India, where it's technically illegal to burn recycling, but no one cares.

Also, let's not get into the discussion of how much fuel is used just to ship all that crap to the other side of the world.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:43 PM   #5222
4lott
Master of the Universe

Seems like it’s all optics now.
4lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #5223
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
You'll be even more frustrated to learn that your recycling efforts may be completely in vain.

Most if not all recyclable material was being shipped overseas to China for processing, but a couple years ago China stopped taking our junk because it wasn't sorted properly, and was full of other, actual garbage.

It has since been reported that the company taking care of recycling in Montreal switched to shipping everything to India, where it was being burned as cheap (and extremely toxic) fuel in factories, or some such. A real environmental disaster.

I believe a new company has since taken over the contract, but as far as I'm aware, they are still shipping to India, where it's technically illegal to burn recycling, but no one cares.

Also, let's not get into the discussion of how much fuel is used just to ship all that crap to the other side of the world.
Unintended consequences ugh
Marvellegendsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:09 PM   #5224
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

I'm so glad I stopped collecting Legends before I got knee deep in it. I feel for those that are still in the trenches. I just wish Hasbro would re-issue the comic Jim Lee X-Men but sadly it seems like I'll have to go the Mafex route for it. Although they are more expensive, Hasbro prices are getting closer and closer to Mafex prices so I guess it's not so bad..
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:48 PM   #5225
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
And another thing... I've seen this mentioned elsewhere, but not so much here, is that the blind box packaging effectively kills in-box collecting. So where Hasbro could previously sell two figures to the same customer, one to open, one to keep in box (though I don't quite understand that logic), now there is absolutely no point to in-box collecting. It's just box collecting. Which is dumb.

Oh, and I while Hasbro might be saying outwardly that they are reducing plastic use in their packages for environmental reasons, I think that's 100% marketing BS. Now they don't have to pay for plastic trays or windows, and they don't have to pay for extra steps in manufacturing the boxes, and gluing in the windows. Some people say that printing more art on the boxes will cost more, but definitely not more than all the plastic.

And if they were actually concerned about not putting more plastic into the environment, THEY WOULDN'T BE MAKING TOYS OUT OF PLASTIC!!!!
Thaaaank you! I've been addressing this point in other groups as well; the amount of toxic fumes and particles that get vented out into our atmosphere in the process of making toys makes their reasoning here pretty disingenuous.

They could have just gone the Transformer route and made the window area smaller too, but again, I think they're just trying to put a "green" spin on their greed.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:54 PM   #5226
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I'm so glad I stopped collecting Legends before I got knee deep in it. I feel for those that are still in the trenches. I just wish Hasbro would re-issue the comic Jim Lee X-Men but sadly it seems like I'll have to go the Mafex route for it. Although they are more expensive, Hasbro prices are getting closer and closer to Mafex prices so I guess it's not so bad..
Agreed. While I'm still in the trenches, it's only with one leg in, lol; I only collect Silver and Bronze age characters and am now really just in a waiting game for a few odd more characters. Hasbro's cheapness, their obsession with exclusives have taken nearly all the fun out of this for me.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:20 PM   #5227
VincentVega
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I just need a couple Jim Lee X-Men figures and then I'm good, aside from the odd MCU one. I want and need a Blob but if they release him as a deluxe and not a BAF he's going to be $100 now, isn't he?
VincentVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #5228
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
I just need a couple Jim Lee X-Men figures and then I'm good, aside from the odd MCU one. I want and need a Blob but if they release him as a deluxe and not a BAF he's going to be $100 now, isn't he?
Probably close it $100. I really don't know why Hasbro doesn't just reissue the Jim Lee X-Men and make Blob as the BAF though. It's easy money for them, they will sell well. People like myself who wasn't collecting Legends back in 2019 would buy them and swallow the price increase too. But nope, they don't want that. They'd rather make figures that will peg warm for eternity.
Old 04-22-2022, 10:53 AM   #5229
Enforcer
Dark Knight

I'd say Blob is due in the next few years. With the Brotherhood expanding, he and Avalanche will be on a lot of Top 10 lists.

It's hard to amass the teams you want after only a few years. I've been in it since the beginning (2002) and I have a few incarnations of the Jim Lee team (most characters with multiple versions now, even of great Hasbro releases). I think the only thing I really need is a calm blue Beast head which is rumored for this year.
Enforcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #5230
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I'd say Blob is due in the next few years. With the Brotherhood expanding, he and Avalanche will be on a lot of Top 10 lists.

It's hard to amass the teams you want after only a few years. I've been in it since the beginning (2002) and I have a few incarnations of the Jim Lee team (most characters with multiple versions now, even of great Hasbro releases). I think the only thing I really need is a calm blue Beast head which is rumored for this year.
Yeah, that's a problem. It shouldn't be near impossible to amass a team you want if you got into the line late unless you have deep pockets to buy the figures on aftermarket. That's why I think Hasbro should do reissues every few years of popular teams. Even if it's just a made to order type of thing. It would allow newer collectors to be able to hop on board the Legends train and give them more money in the long run. The current system as it is now just deters new collectors away from the line. I'm not saying that Hasbro should start repacking old figures and giving nothing new for already existing collectors, but they should try to make the line more accessible to noobies. Kind like of what black series does pretty well despite all the other problems that line has. They are re-releasing popular characters pretty often.