ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #21
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: GI POC Review: Best Joe Offering Yet!

Got Wave 2 from the good old US of A today. (Well, everyone except Snake Eyes. I took a good look at him in the store and decided against picking up yet another SE that I won't do anything with. There's a much better SE coming in the next wave, which I want badly).

Jungle Viper: Okay, let's start with the one people seem to want the most. He comes with a removable vest, night vision goggles, a giant gun, two pistols, and a bunch of "camouflage blades" that allows them to blend into any environment. I gotta say, the tooling on this figure is excellent (he has the typical Joe articulation, plus the added wrist articulation that SDCC Sgt. Slaughter has), and he looks very menacing. My beef is you just can't do much with him. The blades attach to his back and arms, etc. But he's got so much stuff on him, it's tough to do much else than have him stand there. Very cool looking figure though that can hold everything he comes with.

Recondo: He comes with a solar powered wilderness survival pack, with two trap jaws, two axes, a hat, removable vest, rifle, some sort of tribal mask, and a second assault rifle. Another very cool figure here. Like Snow Job, he can carry everything on him which is always a huge plus! The backpack has a string which you can pull out, and attach a trap jaw to. There's a red button on the back that you can push to have the string get winched back into it! My big problem with Recondo is that he looks like he's looking down all the time. And that is due to the hunched shoulders on the figure. Otherwise, another winner.

The trap jaw is sort of fun:

Zartan: Here's our second shirtless figure in the POC line. He has a hoodie, staff, hawk with blinder, extra head that has removable goggles, a second vest, backpack, machine gun, two machetes that fit into his belt, and a hand gun. Zartan has always been one of my favorites, and I like what they did here. He can carry almost everything on him: the only thing he can't is the second vest. The extra head and gun can be carried inside the backpack.

Zartan in disguise:

Dusty: he comes with a removable helmet, extra masked head, barbed wire (why?), two guns and a ragged cape/shawl. I really dig this figure, especially the second masked head. The cloth piece really does it for me. You don't see too many Joes with that sort of thing. He sort of looks like a figure from Star Wars to me, from some desert planet, but maybe that's just me. I really see no point in the barbed wire. Instead of that, they should have given him a couple knives, IMO.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:26 AM   #22
pud333
Master of the Universe

Finally, Destro. He is awesome. I love the sculpt, I love the paintjob. The attention to detail is great, right down to his frosted chrome head. He comes with a backpack with blaster, two ice axes, goggles, gun, drill and two frosted accessories that replicate the look of frozen parts. The backpack is cool. You can actually draw some water into the front of the blaster, by sticking the tip into some water and pressing the red button on the back. Then you press it again to shoot the water out. Normally I don't go for gimmicks, but this one is pretty cool, and I can see how kids would like it. It's a bummer his axes don't really go anywhere on his backpack when not in use.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
FlightWeaponAlpha
Cobra Trooper
Send a message via Skype™ to FlightWeaponAlpha

These reviews are awesome PUd, thanks for these!!

Now I really can't wait to open the four new figs I got last week from POC and start setting them up to hunt Wolverines!!!

FlightWeaponAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #24
pattycakeman
Cylon Centurion

HAhahaha "Sweet I caught myself a wolverine" i laughed after the first one and i totally didnt expect the second one. Bravo good sir, you started my day out right!

BTW I hate you.. jk really I'm just jealous...

These figures look awesome, I love the look of Zartan, the masked Dusty, well all of them really. I was thinking the Jungle Viper would be by far my favorite figure but after seeing the others I gotta say he may not be once i get these in my hands.

I have to say that mask on Recondo looks both ridiculous and absolutely awesome all at the same time! I cannot wait for these to start showing up around here.

Awesome reviews! Short and simple, yet very informative.
pattycakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM   #25
lars573
Clone trooper

So I'm thinking about buying that "Naked liquid snake" Duke. Maybe Beachhead.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM   #26
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightWeaponAlpha View Post
Now I really can't wait to open the four new figs I got last week from POC and start setting them up to hunt Wolverines!!!

Open 'em dude. They look great in package, but they're even better in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakeman View Post
These figures look awesome, I love the look of Zartan, the masked Dusty, well all of them really. I was thinking the Jungle Viper would be by far my favorite figure but after seeing the others I gotta say he may not be once i get these in my hands.

I have to say that mask on Recondo looks both ridiculous and absolutely awesome all at the same time! I cannot wait for these to start showing up around here.

Awesome reviews! Short and simple, yet very informative.
Thanks man. Short and simple sounds so much better than the truth: bare bones and lazy, haha. The JV is a great figure, but so are the others. Zartan and Dusty really grow on you. JV is the obvious collector want figure, but there are some great jems in this wave. I was surprised how much I liked the Destro water squirting gimmick. It's something I probably would have loved as a kid.

The Recondo mask is hilarious. I laughed the first time I took it out. Reminds me of Jim Carrey's The Mask. I'll probably display him like that all the time. One thing I forgot to mention, I really like Recondo's vest. It's not like the others because it's made of a thinner material, allow for the figure to be less bulky, more like a shirt than a vest. Very cool.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
Tkim87
Agent of Shield

lol'd so hard at the wolverine jokes.
Thanks for the quick review Pud! i'll probably pick up jungle viper and recondo, as they both looks pretty wicked.
Tkim87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #28
Hantei
Master of the Universe

Nice on the Zartan and Dusty, definitely looking forward to getting those two. Recondo looks weird carrying solar panels. LOL, the mask is totally a WTF. Arctic Destro kinda reminds me of Mr. Freeze. Jungle Viper looks pretty cool, just a shame he's a bit limited.

Dang, Snake Eyes that bad huh? His outfit looks kinda cool, but the weapons and gimmick are a bit lame. Might buy one still, just for completeness sakes.

Ahh, looks like another must buy wave, no hesitations this time.
Hantei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantei View Post
Dang, Snake Eyes that bad huh? His outfit looks kinda cool, but the weapons and gimmick are a bit lame. Might buy one still, just for completeness sakes.
I didn't pick up SE at all because of budget restraints. Also, I just didn't really like the look of him. I'm sure he's fine, but knowing there's an awesome SE with new articulation coming in Wave 3, I decided against it. I wasn't a fan of the SE in Wave 1 either. Kind of tired of Hasbro overexposing SE. Maybe I might pick him up if I see him in stores here to keep MOC for, as you say, completeness sakes.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #30
lars573
Clone trooper

I got the new HISS tank. That is a nice vehicle. Totally ludicrous and impossible but at least it looks like it could fight other armoured vehicles. Now Hasbro just needs to release a single carded version of the HISS driver. Now I'm totally getting "Naked Liquid Snake" and Beachhead.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poc gi joe review