ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 01-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
jourdo
Red Shirt
jourdo's Ebay Auctions
DC Universe Classics

I imagine this will be a fairly empty thread... seeing as these seem to be non-existant in Canada, but where are you guys at with collecting these?

I'm pretty much up to date with Wave 1 through 3, including SDCC Lobo. I skipped a couple of the variants as I just didn't really need them. Although I did miss the original Firestorm, who I hope to catch in the later wave release.

Now that these are becoming increasingly hard to find north of the border, I'm becoming less of a completionist and only focusing on the characters I really want (Shazam, Flash, etc.).

What are your thoughts on the line?
jourdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
pud333
Master of the Universe
Re: DC Universe Classics

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the scale. I don't really like my humanoid figures to be over 4" scale, but I do like a lot of the sculpts. The quality certainly is there. But I find some of the seams where the joints are connected sort of stick out and kind of distract from the mold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Now that these are becoming increasingly hard to find north of the border, I'm becoming less of a completionist and only focusing on the characters I really want (Shazam, Flash, etc.).
Due to space and money, I find in general I have had to focus in and only buy toys I really want. Gone are the days when I'd buy something just because.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
4lott
Master of the Universe

pud33, I know what you mean. I no longer have the space or extra income for impulse buys. While these figs are available at some LCS and Canadian on line retailers I'll only pick them up if I can get them at mass market stores simply for no other reason than I want to know I can return it hassle free if it breaks in my hand. The torso on the last fig I bought, Batman Beyond, split in two right out of the pack. The manager at my LCS refunded me the $$ and we joked about it being a mini build a figure. He said he's not touching this line again until the QC improves.
4lott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
jourdo
Red Shirt
jourdo's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lott View Post
The torso on the last fig I bought, Batman Beyond, split in two right out of the pack.
I read about all of the issues of Batman Beyond snapping at the waist, and I have barely touched mine as a result. The waist is super tight and I figure one good twist and it is done.

Does anyone know for sure about the status of these at mass retail? Walmart was the only place I ever saw them and that was WAY back in the Wave 1 days.

Has this officially become an online only line for Canadians?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
lars573
Clone trooper

Quote:
pud33, I know what you mean. I no longer have the space or extra income for impulse buys. While these figs are available at some LCS and Canadian on line retailers I'll only pick them up if I can get them at mass market stores simply for no other reason than I want to know I can return it hassle free if it breaks in my hand. The torso on the last fig I bought, Batman Beyond, split in two right out of the pack. The manager at my LCS refunded me the $$ and we joked about it being a mini build a figure. He said he's not touching this line again until the QC improves.
I just wish I knew if any of the comic shops here carried the line.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
While these figs are available at some LCS and Canadian on line retailers I'll only pick them up if I can get them at mass market stores simply for no other reason than I want to know I can return it hassle free if it breaks in my hand.
That is one of the really good things about mass retailers. So long as you have a receipt, you can pretty much return anything. However, I still try to support the local shops as much as I can, but it's getting harder and harder to do so as money gets tight and prices keep rising. For example, one comic shop was charging $16.99 for 25th Joes and $14.99 for DCIH. I know they have to mark up, and I don't mind paying more to support local shops, but that kind of markup is way too high for me to afford (and personally, I kinda find it a bit offensive, to tell you the truth. However, it's not my business, so whatever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdo View Post
Has this officially become an online only line for Canadians?
I believe so. Unless Mattel has some major distribution plans to announce, I think we're stuck with online or comic shops. I find that Canada tends to get the shaft with some lines. DC for instance (I see Marvel products everywhere). Unless there is a big movie behind the products (eg: Dark Knight), DC toys are pretty much non existent or relegated to a tiny section of the store. But even with toy lines like 25th Joes, we don't get every wave that the US does. I don't know if it's a problem of availability, or of retailers just not ordering every wave, but it can get frustrating.

Last edited by pud333; 01-27-2009 at 01:42 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
lars573
Clone trooper

I think you'll find it's the retailers. Hasbro and Mattel can only sell what stores are willing to sell. Wal-Mart dropped DCUC. Which was the one Canadian retailer that carried the line. So it's either comic shops or online.
lars573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
jourdo
Red Shirt
jourdo's Ebay Auctions

Does anyone have any contact information for Mattel to ask them about this? I checked their customer service site and could not find any email info. God forbid I actually have to take pen to paper.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:10 PM   #9
Cyber-Kun
Super Friend
Send a message via MSN to Cyber-Kun Send a message via Skype™ to Cyber-Kun

I only have one figure, wave 1's Etrigan, that I found in Wal-Mart when wave one hit retail. Back then there were quite a few figs and I thought "Hey, maybe there will be a lot of stock for this line"
Oh, how naive I was...
I've never seen any further waves since.
Cyber-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #10
-KG-
Gotham Knight

I have 3: Batman, Penguin, and Harley Quinn. I would love to grab a bunch more, but I'm not going out of my way for them. If it was a mass retail Canadian release I would grab a bunch more. Also if they're staring me in the face in a comic book shop at a reasonable price I'll buy 'em too. That's if the paint is good...
-KG- is offline   Reply With Quote