ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe
Re: Price increases in toy collecting: keep buying or will you stop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Errr, on the backside of the packaging for the Studio Series 86 Slag/Slug where it says "Made in Vietnam"?
Errr did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe I don't collect transformers and don't own one to be able to look at the back of the box myself? Idk why the attitude is necessary while answering my question.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 09-16-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:36 PM   #12
Alexander Quinn
Sarcasti-con

Hasbro lost a decent chunk of money from me this year. Their continuous price gouging starting to shake me a few increases ago, but they’ve basically priced themselves out of my interest range. I really can’t justify $33 for a standard 6 inch figure, and absolutely can’t justify $40 for an exclusive or because Hasbro just wants to charge $40 (looking at you, Marvel Legends Infinity Saga figures). The size decrease in Transformers alongside the price increase isn’t helping me there, either. There is still product I’ll pick up, but now only if it’s on sale or through GameStop (Onyx discount ftw!)

Other companies have definitely benefitted from Hasbro’s greed though. I’m still spending about the same as previous years, but now Mattel and McFarlane are getting a chunk of that money. The Masters of the Universe Origin line, Jurassic Park Amber Collection, and DC Multiverse lines have started taking over space on my shelves.
Alexander Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #13
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Yeah this is what normally happens when a company starts to get greedy and full of themselves like Hasbro. The competition slowly starts to take their customers away until only the die hard Hasbro fans remain.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:36 PM   #14
ViktorVonGloom
Red Shirt

I'm more picky. I rather buy a couple of imports instead of inflated domestics.
ViktorVonGloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #15
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVonGloom View Post
I'm more picky. I rather buy a couple of imports instead of inflated domestics.
This is my thought process too. For the price of 2-3 domestics you can buy an import, so really they aren't that much more expensive than domestics at the moment. The only thing that sucks is there are a lot of characters import companies won't touch so you're kind of SOL if you want a more niche figure of a character.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:21 PM   #16
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Errr did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe I don't collect transformers and don't own one to be able to look at the back of the box myself? Idk why the attitude is necessary while answering my question.
Dude, you're being overly sensitive. I wasn't replying with the intent to mock you. I literally would've said the same thing aloud if you had asked me in person. You're "hearing" my reply as if I were making fun of you, which I was not.

Imagine asking your question aloud and I just shrug my shoulders non-chalantly and said what I said, and you'll get that's how it was intended, as a neutral response.
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:53 PM   #17
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
Dude, you're being overly sensitive. I wasn't replying with the intent to mock you. I literally would've said the same thing aloud if you had asked me in person. You're "hearing" my reply as if I were making fun of you, which I was not.

Imagine asking your question aloud and I just shrug my shoulders non-chalantly and said what I said, and you'll get that's how it was intended, as a neutral response.
Fair enough, Wasn't my intentions to stir up anything. It's just easy to misconstrue what someone is trying to convey through written text. I can't read body language or vocal tone through text sadly. No hard feelings.

Last edited by Zeroflamez; 09-16-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #18
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
Because...science ! But obviously he already replied below/above...

On topic...I've been a picky buyer for a very long time...my Transformers collecting has been of late (4 years or so) very limited to only MP Transformers (getting over the top on pricing), 3P Transformers a bit and the 86 line brought me back in a bit...Marvel and Star Wars wise i've never been much of a whole wave collector. I will generally grab what I like which is maybe 1 or 2 figures and IF the chance so happens that I like the BAF figure or the remainders of the wave I can get super cheap I'll bite. It is rare i buy a whole wave unless it was the original Hulkbuster, AOA or something that goes with Deadpool or X-Force then i'm in, but again sometimes I'll know what might shelf warm so I wait on those.

Having EB as my supplier and finally getting over the threshold to an onyx card helps too. I try to keep my spending neutral and that means I will on occasion buy stuff I know is hot maybe 2 or 3 figures more after I help out my friends and resell them to help fund my hobby, because it's a heck of alot easier to justify my hobby to the wife if i'm not going into debt to do it...not that i really have to but you know happy wife happy life. And yes if that makes me scalper whatever lol

I don't see myself stopping right now...but space is becoming an issue so i know a purge is coming...but Hasbro for example is going to a place I may not be able to follow.

Last edited by sixshot1981; 09-16-2021 at 09:48 PM.
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
seancuthbertca
Super Friend

I only got into the modern lines (Transformers and GI Joe pretty much) within the last 2 years. I think it was the G1 reissues before that, that had reignited my passion for it.

But the (in my opinion) ridiculous prices has turned me off just grabbing one because it's cool. That coupled with lack of supply and scalpers always getting first crack at the good stuff

Now if it's not a character I truly love, it gets skipped.

For the GI Joe side of things, I'll grab the Classifieds for ones I truly love. Seeing that 3-3/4 figures at $17, that's a major turn off for me. 35 years ago they were $3.99. Calculating for inflation, they should be just under $10. So say $10.99 would be ok. $17 is highway robbery for lower quality 3-3/4" figures. I'd rather save up and spend the premium for an original ARAH 3-3/4" figure.
seancuthbertca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:00 PM   #20
ssjgoku22
Mutant

It's getting harder to justify mainline for me with these price increases. Marvel Legends is the worst in my opinion because they're charging quite a bit more and you aren't really getting more than you were 5 or more years ago (Iike they're still using the Bucky-Cap mold for crying out loud). I feel like I can completely give up on Legends now (I have what I want and many of the upcoming waves don't interest me).

Transformers has also gone up, but the figures have definitely gotten better (compared to the Prime Wars trilogy figures), so I feel like that's much more justified compared to the same price increases in Legends or Black Series.

I'm also on the fence about Power Rangers too. For one, they are giving you a good amount of accessories, but, on the other hand, every team of Rangers is the same mold (other than the variations for female and sixth rangers as well as villains). Villains have been getting better (like the Tenga Warrior) in terms of quality, but there is also a limit for how high I'd want to pay for them. The Tenga was a really good figure for $32 (what I paid on Amazon), but the upcoming Finster for $40 seems steep. These aren't import figures in any sense whatsoever (the qc and somewhat gummy plastic speaks to that) and here we are, where prices are looking to get close to that level. The LC figures have been really good, but, can I see myself spending $40 for a ranger in the future? I don't think so.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 09-17-2021 at 03:07 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote