ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #161
usernameprime
Cobra Commander
Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

i dunno... I mean you have many man-childs with shelves lined up with hundreds of figures. I myself got a pre-order for 16 army builders today with another 12+ pre-orders on other figures for 2022. That's 28+ figures ordered/payed for already for the following year. I have a hard time seeing kids/toddlers receiving that sort of buying power from the parents.
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:26 PM   #162
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesperino View Post
I think this is partly due to horrible timing. Money is tight for most of us around this time of year. People are buying Xmas gifts and things. They could have held off till the new year to try these out and perhaps seen higher interest.

They will both probably go through. Last minute buyers galore.

I don?t think hasbro is overly concerned with haslab projects for profits. It?s more of a marketing and promotional stream for super fans. They get their profits from the toys that children buy. Not so much collectors. We are a drop in the bucket for them.
They may be niche products, but Haslabs generate millions of dollars in profit for Hasbro. at $350 USD each, with a minimum order of 9,000 units to start production, that's $3.15 Million net revenue. Had they reached all the stretch goals at 19,000, that would be $6.65 Million.

And they aren't sharing any of that with retailers, either. After the production costs, it's all profit. And stacking three Haslabs at the same time, with funding goals in December just shows they wanted to pad their annual profits for the year. Especially since delivery isn't due until 2023.

So with three concurrent campaigns, they're effectively targetting $15-$20 Million in net revenue for just three items. In fact, on the Rancor, the only stretch goal that would have required new tooling is the bones set, which doesn't even have any articulation. It's just plain plastic. Gamorrean Guard and Salacious Crumb are re-issues, and the Luke Skywalker will be released in a regular wave, regardless of whether the campaign us funded.

It's no wonder all the Black Series collectors are feeling taken advantage of. It's because we are.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #163
wesperino
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post
i dunno... I mean you have many man-childs with shelves lined up with hundreds of figures. I myself got a pre-order for 16 army builders today with another 12+ pre-orders on other figures for 2022. That's 28+ figures ordered/payed for already for the following year. I have a hard time seeing kids/toddlers receiving that sort of buying power from the parents.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...d-Quarter-2021

Hasbro's total gaming category, including all gaming revenue, most notably MAGIC: THE GATHERING and MONOPOLY, which are reported in the Franchise Brands portfolio, totaled $658.6 million for the third quarter 2021, up 21% compared to the respective period in 2020.

Theres more than just action figures. The gaming sector had a huge bump this year with COVID
wesperino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #164
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

yeah but that MTG $ is from adults and board/games is mixed at best. I imagine Pokemon takes the bulk of kids money when concerning trading card games and even then I believe adults are the big spenders on that as well.

For sure there isn't a 10 year old asking for a Monopoly set or some other board game this Christmas but families would purchase for the house hold, especially if the past 2 years was about staying in. Further to this is the fact that these games can be purchased by households without kids as well.

As is you can have custom Monopoly boards made for your brand to sell yourself to your fans. Here's an official Monopoly using a gaming youtuber IP/image to sell to his fans: https://www.pixelempire.com/products...ition?variant=

Not to mention special edition board game sets that sell to adult collectors as well like TF Monopoly. Average family will pass on the TF Monopoly in favour of the regular edition,

Last edited by usernameprime; 12-01-2021 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #165
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
They may be niche products, but Haslabs generate millions of dollars in profit for Hasbro. at $350 USD each, with a minimum order of 9,000 units to start production, that's $3.15 Million net revenue. Had they reached all the stretch goals at 19,000, that would be $6.65 Million.

And they aren't sharing any of that with retailers, either. After the production costs, it's all profit. And stacking three Haslabs at the same time, with funding goals in December just shows they wanted to pad their annual profits for the year. Especially since delivery isn't due until 2023.

So with three concurrent campaigns, they're effectively targetting $15-$20 Million in net revenue for just three items. In fact, on the Rancor, the only stretch goal that would have required new tooling is the bones set, which doesn't even have any articulation. It's just plain plastic. Gamorrean Guard and Salacious Crumb are re-issues, and the Luke Skywalker will be released in a regular wave, regardless of whether the campaign us funded.

It's no wonder all the Black Series collectors are feeling taken advantage of. It's because we are.
Black Series collectors have been getting taken advantage of for a while now. The line as it is is almost entirely repacks, half assed re-uses and store exclusives no one can find. Heck even the retail waves people can't really find now either. I can't tell you the last Time I saw a new black series wave on pegs. I think there are a lot of Black Series fans that hope this flops regardless to teach Hasbro a lesson
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #166
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

i totally wanna see some haslab fails happen, would be hilarious imo. i would feel for the collectors who wanted and lost out but all the same, kekekekekekekek!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #167
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Update:

Skystriker: 5,873 / 10,000 (+40)
Rancor: 4,913 / 9,000 (+160)
Proton Pack: 12,046 / 7,000 (+212)

So the Skystriker was up a bit on it's daily average. It really needs the FOMO now if it has any chance of backing.

The Proton Pack is still movin' and groovin' so no worries.

It looks like Malakili got people's interest. Although not as much as I had thought it would. Still a triple digit increase is a good sign, and I guess we will see a big jump in the final days. Still I am giving a bit of side eye to Hasbro after adding Malakili as a base funding bonus. What kind of profit was there in the Rancor if they can add a wholly new tooled figure to this without a tier unlock? Hhmmm.....
its at 5896 now so it needs to hit around 650 everyday for the next 6.5 days. The Rancor is about the same. Won't look good on Hasbro if two Haslabs fail, so will they just go ahead with them anyway?

And it looks like the SS is a new/modified mold but the same size. They added a bit more detail and the two seater but doesn't seem like a $280 upgrade. Hopefully they at least fixed the problem with the missiles falling off lol.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:59 AM   #168
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Update:

Skystriker: 5,907 / 10,000 (+34)
Rancor: 5,024 / 9,000 (+111)
Proton Pack: 12,256 / 7,000 (+210)

So the Skystriker is just not picking up steam. I don't know if there will be enough FOMO to get it across the line.

The Rancor has definitely picked up, but not as much as I thought it would. I think the FOMO here might kick in to get it across the line, but it is still a wait and see. Definitely not the bump I thought it would get from adding Malakili.

The Proton Pack just keeps moving along. It should hit the third tier sometime next week, and most likely will hit all the tiers, thanks to FOMO, before the end of the funding period.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #169
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

If Hasbro made an IG post saying "No Oola no Moola. With a picture of the meme accompanying it to announcement her as a tier Rancor would be funded for sure. As it is now? I still doubt it
Zeroflamez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #170
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Update:

Skystriker: 5,970 / 10,000 (+63)
Rancor: 5,124 / 9,000 (+100)
Proton Pack: 12,469 / 7,000 (+213)

Proton Pack is still A-Okay.

Skystriker is up a bit, but not looking good still.

Rancor only added 100 backers, definitely not the push expected after Malakili. It may not even pass the Skystriker in total number of backers before the final day. Definitely need that FOMO push now.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote