ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > International Action Figure News > G.I. Joe Toy News

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Evan
Jedi Knight
GI Joe Pursuit of Cobra Arctic Threat Destro Review

Pursuit of Cobra Arctic Threat Destro: I’ve been waiting for this figure for awhile, and now that I finally have one, it’s time to review him.

The Packaging:

I love the Pursuit of Cobra packaging. The layout, the colours – it’s all way better than The Rise of Cobra packaging. It’s new, and still retains the classic “Real American Hero” look. In the pictures below, you’ll also notice that this particular package is for the US release as it only has English, and there’s a sticker on the front promoting Hasbro and Discovery’s TV network, The Hub.

The back of the card has the file card printed on, unlike the inserts we get on the Canadian tri-lingual packaging. He also comes with an insert showing the Pursuit of Cobra figures on one side, and an Arctic Threat scene on the other where a Snow Job figure is facing off against Destro and the Cobra Ice Cutter. Both sides would be a cool poster if it hadn’t been folded six million times to jam it in the package.

The Accessories:

Destro, like many Joe figures, suffers from “Too-Many-Accessories-itis.” Now really, you can never have too many accessories, but I prefer the figure to be able to hold them all whether they clip in the back pack or belt – just give me somewhere to put them.

Destro comes with a drill, goggles, two pick axes, a handgun, a backpack/water gun, and two…pieces of snow…?

The goggles don’t seem to quite fit over his eyes. They rest on his forehead just fine. I’ve tried to force them all the way down, but I’m afraid of breaking them. Honestly, I don’t think they are designed to fit over his eyes which is disappointing, but they still look cool resting on his shiny, snowy noggin.

I like to clip the snow on to his arm or leg to use as armour, or maybe he’s just been walking around in a blizzard for a really long time. It also makes a nice hat. Yes, Destro finally has hair! The snow can also clip on to enemy Joes to freeze them in place, or be placed around the drill to look like Destro’s drilling into the snow.

The back pack actually shoots water! If I ever take this figure to the arctic, I will be able to instantly freeze enemy Joes! Mwahaha! There’s a tiny hole in the back of Destro’s larger gun that you need to force the hose from the backpack into. I found it tricky to get in, but managed. Once assembled, stick the gun end in water, and hit the pump/button on the backpack to suck up some water. Point it at Destro’s enemies, and press again to shoot. It fires remarkably well.

The Figure:

The figure itself is great. I love Destro’s shiny face speckled with snow. It really makes him worthy of the “Arctic Threat” name, and Hasbro did a great job of making it look like he’s been out in the snow, as opposed to if they had just painted his entire head solid white.

I may still be used to the 80’s G.I. Joes here, but the plastic is much softer than what I am used to. I’m afraid of bending his wrists right off when trying to jam his weapons into his hand (some weapons fit perfectly, others you have to fight with), but I suppose that’s preferable to just snapping his hands off. I have a few figures from back in the day who are missing their thumbs.

Destro’s arms can turn up and down at his shoulders, while his elbows are a little more flexible being able to turn left to right as well as up and down. His wrists are also able to swivel. He can twist mid-torso instead of at his waste which lets him also lean forward ever so slightly. Like most Joes, he seems capable of doing the splits, but his winter coat prevents him from going all the way. His coat is a softer plastic allowing for more flexibility which transfers to posability (is posability a word?) for the figure. Destro also wears knee pads - which makes perfect sense for exploring the Arctic tundra – and is able to bend his legs both above and below the knee pads to create some cool running poses. And finally, his ankles can swivel left to right, but not up and down.

Final Thoughts:

This is a great figure and may be my new favourite Destro (I’ve always been partial to the 80's Iron Grenadier one). There’s not much to dislike about this figure. I mean is “too many accessories” really a complaint? Just give me a place to put them Hasbro! And the softer plastic should result in less broken thumbs – my own included!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ArcticDestro.jpg (32.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ArcticDestroFront.jpg (91.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg ArcticDestroBack.jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: GI Joe Pursuit of Cobra Arctic Threat Destro Review

Nice review, looks like a cool design.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Evan
Jedi Knight

Thanks for the feedback!

And yes, I like this one a lot. He currently resides beside my computer monitor.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

I notice the button on the backpack, but had no idea what it was. It's neat that it is a water gun. The snow pieces are just wierd. Same with the ice auger. Not gonna complain about getting too much tho. Not too big on the green eyes, but a decent figure for sure.

Thanks for the reveiw.
________
Vaporizer Wiki

Last edited by racerguy76; 05-15-2011 at 02:32 AM.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #5
racerguy76
Agent of Shield

I pulled mine over his eyes. It did feel like they were on the verge of snapping, but I think it's more of a rubber and it's just stretching.

________
Genetically Modified Food

Last edited by racerguy76; 05-15-2011 at 02:32 AM.
racerguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:01 PM   #6
pud333
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
The goggles don’t seem to quite fit over his eyes. They rest on his forehead just fine. I’ve tried to force them all the way down, but I’m afraid of breaking them.

The back pack actually shoots water!
I may still be used to the 80’s G.I. Joes here, but the plastic is much softer than what I am used to.

I mean is “too many accessories” really a complaint? Just give me a place to put them Hasbro! And the softer plastic should result in less broken thumbs – my own included!
The goggles fit over the eyes. It's just pretty tight the first time you do it. I had the same problem with my 25th anniversary Snow Job. Do it once, and it's not a problem afterwards. That's how I like to display my Destro.

I love that the backpack shoots water. It's designed to look like a collector toy, with no silly neon bits, an the button is done so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Very nice playable feature that I'm sure young kids will like.

Yeah, I was put off guard when I first handled one of the 25th anniversary Joes and the plastic was soft. But as you pointed out, it prevents broken thumbs, which I absolutely hated. My onely quibble with those rubbery hands is that sometimes the fingers are molded too open, so it's hard to hold anything in it.

With regards to accessories, I definitely think "Too many accessories" is a legit complaint. I have baggies full of accessories I never use. What I love about POC, is that most of the characters can carry all their gear (which is why Snow Job is one of my favorites), so I was a bit disappointed when Destro couldn't carry all his stuff, but whatever. The extra bits just end up going into baggies and then into a bin in the closet.

I will always love the orignial 80's toys and the 25th line, but POC totally shits on everything before it. IMO, while 25th anniversary was a nice redo of the 80's toy, meant to make them modern-like but retain the odd 80's designs (eg: Alley Viper's Orange camo), POC is a true modernization of the toy line. POC is definitely my favorite Joe line, and possibly one of my favorite toy lines in general. I can't wait for 2011 Low Light.

EDIT: Also, how great is Destro's paint job? The subtle frosting on his mask, the snow on the jacket, etc. Awesome. Great review, man!

Last edited by pud333; 10-23-2010 at 12:06 PM.
pud333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
UltraPrimal
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy76 View Post
You know he kind of looks like Mr. Freeze. If Freeze was the supervillain for the next Batman movie, I imagine this is what he'd look like.
UltraPrimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
counteresperanto
Cobra Trooper

Very much looking forward to getting this guy. I hae 4 Ice Vipers, 4 Snow Serpents, 2 TRU exclusive Snow Serpents, and an arctic HISS just waiting for Destro to take command! I wish wave two would show up around here soon... And that Ice Cutter, as well.

Thanks for the review, by the way. Other reviewers seem to be in such a hurry to gush over Dusty and Jungle Viper that hardly a word is ever said about poor old Destro here.
counteresperanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Evan
Jedi Knight

Quote:
I notice the button on the backpack, but had no idea what it was. It's neat that it is a water gun. The snow pieces are just wierd. Same with the ice auger. Not gonna complain about getting too much tho. Not too big on the green eyes, but a decent figure for sure.
Yeah I was thinking instructions for the watergun would be helpful. I didn't clue in right away. It was sort of a "This is odd...hey, waitaminute!"
Quote:
I pulled mine over his eyes. It did feel like they were on the verge of snapping, but I think it's more of a rubber and it's just stretching.
Good to know. I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
I will always love the orignial 80's toys and the 25th line, but POC totally shits on everything before it. IMO, while 25th anniversary was a nice redo of the 80's toy, meant to make them modern-like but retain the odd 80's designs (eg: Alley Viper's Orange camo), POC is a true modernization of the toy line. POC is definitely my favorite Joe line, and possibly one of my favorite toy lines in general. I can't wait for 2011 Low Light.

EDIT: Also, how great is Destro's paint job? The subtle frosting on his mask, the snow on the jacket, etc. Awesome. Great review, man!
Well said! Low Light is on my wait list too. And yes, the snow paint job is great! And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraPrimal View Post
You know he kind of looks like Mr. Freeze. If Freeze was the supervillain for the next Batman movie, I imagine this is what he'd look like.
Custom anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by counteresperanto View Post
Thanks for the review, by the way. Other reviewers seem to be in such a hurry to gush over Dusty and Jungle Viper that hardly a word is ever said about poor old Destro here.
Thanks! Admittedly, I don't have Dusty or the Jungle Viper. I'll probably grab them at some point, but this figure really stands out to me as the highlight in the line (so far anyway!)