ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-16-2022, 04:00 PM   #1301
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

789-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: Beefboss.

I may have said this with other Fortnite figures, but Beefboos was the figure that solidified the fact that I was going deep on this Fortnite series and it?s not for my love of Hamburgers (honestly more of a hotdog guy myself) No, it was purely based on how ridiculous he is. I mean sure, Marvel Legends has produced some heroic looking figures and Mcfarlane makes a very badass looking Batman in their DC line, but a fully posable hamburger headed man in a fast food uniform that is armed to the teeth? That's just good fun, and aren't? toys meant to be fun?

Pros: Everything! Beefboss is a great figure that toy collectors, or people who appreciate unique figures, should pick up. The sculpt, from the olive on the top of his head to the mustard and ketchup on his belt are amazing touches, the articulation is great and he comes with a great selection of weapons. I?m even getting used to the hand articulation.

Cons: I got nothing. I love this figure.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #1302
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

790-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Loki and Corvus Glavie

Given all the new releases in the MCU space it might be a good idea to review my past ranking and review some of the newer movies that have come out. That said, as to not bury the lead, it will take a lot to beat my current top 5, but given all the love that Spider-Man no way home received, it might be a contender. Full disclosure it?s late January at the time of this review and I have yet to see The Eternias and the aforementioned Spiderman and it?s not for lack of interest, but rather abundance of COVID. I will eventually see both sooner or later, but do wish that I could have seen them in the theater when they were released given the spectacle of seeing things in the theater and of course the spoilers that were impossible to keep free of this late into the run. I should say that I am up to date on all the Disney+ series and while I understand that some folks might be getting burned out, I still enjoy seeing everything that they want to throw at me.

Pros: Loki: I have to hand it to Hasbro on these MCU figures given that the detail is simply amazing. It almost makes up for the countless Spider-Man repaints that we have to deal with. The sculpt is amazing and the articulation is what you would expect on a top tier figure. For my first MCU Loki I am really impressed.

Corvus Glavie: While Loki is a solid figure, the real winner here is Corvus Glavie. Not the benefactor of a single released, Mr Glavie was only sold as part of a stuid exclusive that I was lucky enough to track down and for good reason, this figure is really quite exceptional. Sure there are faults, but the sculpt alone is enough for me to recommend it. I seriously got 90?s McFarlane vibes from this sculpt and for good measure: a lot of work went into it.

Cons: Loki: While Loki looks great, there isn?t much extra Loki stuff to complete the figure. Sure he looks cool and comes with the Tesseract, but where is his helmet and his daggers? I mean, I know where they are. (in an upcoming release) but it wouldn?t hurt to fill up the book with some cool stuff.

Corvus Glavie: Giving the McFarlane comparison that I did for my ?pros? is a double edged sword.Yes the sculpt is fantastic and he looks really amazing on the shelf, but it's nor really a ?fun? figure per se given that a good portion of the articulation is hindered by hard plastic add ons.

Old 06-17-2022, 11:19 AM   #1303
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-20-2022, 03:46 PM   #1304
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

791-2
Hasbro- Black Series: Kanan Jarrus

So how is everyone feeling about The Book of Boba Fett? At the time of this writing we are in the middle of the series and it has been a bit of a mixed bag, which as far as I am concerned is a win for Star Wars which brings me to my point: I’m tired of Star Wars fans turning on Star Wars the minute that they see something that they do not like. And while I totally support their opinions (not everyone is going to like everything) I have to laugh at where the line was for the high point of Star Wars. For some points it's the Empire and has been downhill from there. Some folks are all about the OG trilogy and checked out right after they saw The Phantom Menace and even some are fine with the prequels but draw a line in the coarse sand (that gets everywhere) at the Disney sequels. Point is that you can’t like everything, but you can like something and it’s important to find what that is. And please stop saying that <blank person> is ruining Star Wars. If you don’t like it, move on with your life.

Pros: Overall Kanan is a great figure that I’m happy to have in my Black Series. The realistic sculpt is a nice update to the animated look, the articulation provides enough movement for some decent poses and I really appreciate the blaster and 3 piece module lightsaber. Bonus points that they even molded a peg for the head of the lightsaber.

Cons: I’m not sure why this would be the case, but I can see why some folks would have liked a sculpt that was based on the animated model, but it certainly would not have fit with the Black Series line.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:36 PM   #1305
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

792-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Home Suit Spiderman

It’s been a while since I have done a review and rating on a MCU movie and given that this is a Spider-Man movie figure, why not start it up again with some thoughts on Spider-Man- Far From Home. I’m guessing you thought this was going to be for Spider-Man- No Way Home, but I pulled a sneaky on ya as I have yet to see it!

Anyways, I’ll be following my patent pending “good, bad, ugly” approach to reviewing all the MCU projects going forward to allow for a bit to write about on these reviews.

Spider-Man- Far From Home
Release Date: 2019

Opening Thoughts: FFH has a lot of heavy lifting to do given that it was the first major film to deal with the world of the MCU after the events of Endgame played out and if i’m being honest I’m not sure that it stuck the landing so to speak. Yes it’s fun (more on that later) and yes there are great characters in it (also more in that later), but as would be typical given that it is a SONY release, it feels like they were able to set the tone for the MCU before Disney was able to. And why you may wonder, who cares? It was pretty clear that Disney had a bit more depth to the return to normal in mind that was clear in some of the Disney Plus shows and movies that SONY just wrote off as a funny bit. I suppose that is kind of how comics are (world goes back to normal immediately after a massive threat) and these movies are just imitating that, but surely a bit more rebuilding could be done after 50% of all living things returned to the universe.

Pros: Despite being just another Spider-Man release I really like this homemade suit Spider-Man release as it is something different. The sculpt is nice and matches the look from the movie, the articulation is fine for a few poses and I've always loved that hood up/hood down trick Hasbro does.

Cons: As always, some type of web effects would go a really long way for these releases.

Old 06-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #1306
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

793-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Superman (The Infected)

Surprisingly there isn?t too much info on this version of Superman which is kind of funny considering that this isn?t the first time McFarlane released a somewhat random Superman, in the form of the Krypton Armor Superman. Both are cool in their own way and almost better than the OG Superman release, but I digress; for a figure that I had very low expectations I really like this version. I will say though that McFarlane has a similar issue to Hasbro in that these less notable releases could be supported by a digital comic download for people to see the character in action. It would cost nothing and would net DC some customer data and maybe even lead some new fans to comic books that really need the help.

Pros: I love this figure way more than I thought I would. Looks to be an updated superman sculpt with some infected type detail, a wider range of articulation with double jointed elbows and some spare fists.

Cons: The extra hands are fine, but I honestly would have liked a flight stand for this one.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:52 PM   #1307
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

794-2
Hasbro- Transformers Kingdom: Black Arachnia.

So I have not had a chance to check out Transformers Kingdon (or Earthrise for that matter) so this purchase was purley, 100% based on nostalgia alone. That said, can you blame me? BA was an extremely cool character back when she was first introduced and we never really got a toy that did her original form justice given that it was just a repaint of Tarantulus. After that there was a steady stream of figures for the character including a larger, updated Transmetals version, a super under-appreciated Beast Machines once, a totally awesome Transformers Animated one and of course, a super expensive Masterpiece version. I have all, except the MP version, but I?m actually happy that I didn?t spend the money given that this Kingdom version is really quite spectacular and checks most of the boxes for me. Makes me wonder if I should sell my MP Optimus and Cheetor.

Pros: Black Arachina is a phenomenal update and really is a solid figure all around. Great sculpt with nice details in both modes, challenging and unique transformation, solidly poseable and even comes with a weapon.

Cons: Overall she's a bit too expensive and small for the cost and continues to floor me with what toys like this used to cost.

Old 06-23-2022, 12:53 PM   #1308
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 06-24-2022, 03:45 PM   #1309
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

795-2
Bandai- Gundam Universe:RX-79(G)Ez-8

Yet Again my overall knowledge is tested with this Gundam Universe line, but I really do not mind given that these things are cool as hell and it gets me to learn a little bit for these reviews. Ez8 is actually the Gundam piloted by the main character of the highly acclaimed 08th MS team series which surprised me given how muted the colors are. I?ve heard that the MS Team series takes place in the primary Gundam Universe (Unlike Gundam Wing) a bit in the future and is certainly a bit more gritty than some of the other series. Unfortunately it?s not available to stream legally, but I'm sure if I did some digging I could find it in order to get the gist and feel of the show.

Pros: I really love the look of Ez-8 and think that, while somewhat basic, has an overall really great look, which Bandai captures perfectly. I love the sculpt from top to bottom, the articulation is great, the accessories are perfect and plentiful and there is just something about that shield.

Cons: As will all other of these Gundam figures, an included stand would have been awesome, but that might be asking too much for the price. Outside of that, this figure is amazing.

Old 06-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #1310
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

796-2
Bandai- The Wizarding World of Harry Potter: Ron Weasley

Continuing my look at all the Harry Potter Themed Rides and attractions at the various Universal Studios Parks around the world. Previous thoughts can be found at review 314-2 Dragon Challenge, 337-2 Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, 392-2 Flight of the Hippogriff, 448-2 The Hogwarts Express, 534-2 Butterbeer & 693-2 Escape From Gringotts.

Ollivander?s Wand Shop (Diagon Alley and Hogsmead)

Like Butterbeer, this is a bit of a stretch as an attraction, but the added pageantry to it certainly sets it apart from other retail locations. The shtick is true to the scene in the first movie in which Harry receives his first wand, something that is very important in the life of a young witch or wizard. During the show, one lucky person (kid or adult I assume) is picked to go through a series of tests to see if each wand is suitable for them. At the end the lucky person is invited to buy that particular wand (if they want) and is left with a nice little experience to go with their souvenir. Oh, did I mention that while the experience is free, the wands cost like $50 US. And while it seems silly to pay that much for a stick, they serve another purpose in being an interactive item to play around the two wizarding lands and by play, I mean swish the wand in a particular area, with a particular motion will cause something to happen within the land. Now, it?s not really my cup of tea, but I get the appeal, especially for younger fans of the series.

Pros: Bandai really knows how to make a collectable figure as these Wizarding World figures continue to impress. The likeness is great, the articulation and ability to pose is fantastic and accessories, including brome, books, wand and rat are great.

Cons: Two things come to mind. 1. I wish he was easier to pose on the broom and 2. I wish the joints and connection points were just a bit more sturdy.