ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 08-08-2022, 01:35 PM   #1351
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #1352
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

825-2
Mattel- He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Man At Arms.

It?s funny: I didn?t have that many MOTU figures a kid and is somewhat surprising given how much the Cartoon had an effect on me. I suppose some of it could be from the more recent series that came out in the 2000?s, but I still have good memories of the old Filmation show for sure. If I recall correctly, I had exactly 2 figures in my ?collection?: Skeletor and Jitsu who remain to be 2 of my favorite characters to this date, but I always liked Man-at-Arms too and was never able to get him as a kid, until now that is. I?m not sure why, but I loved his tech side, his mentorship to Adam and of course his badass mustache.

Pros: As with all the Origins figures, Man-At-Arms is pretty amazing: A solid sculpt that captures the overall old school look, a perfect amount of articulation to support a good amount of poses and some really cool accessories including removable armor and a mace. Love this figure.

Cons: Nothing except the piss poor availability of these figures. It?s a crime that Man-At-Arms is this rare release.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #1353
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

826-2
Jazwares- Fortnite Legendary Series: DeeJay

Anyone else wish that Fortnite / Jazwares partnered up with the Boys from Daft Punk to create playable ?robots? characters based on their specific brand? I?m not sure about their thoughts on violent games, but given how they have licensed their images before, I?m not certain that it wouldn?t be that much of a stretch. Maybe that is less of a Fortnite ask and more of an actual toy request, but given how DeeJay has a similar vibe, I think Jazwares can pull it off nicely. That said, given that the BST AXN figures from Loyal Subjects have delved into music acts with their latest releases, they may be the better fit for producing some kick ass Daft Punk figures.

Pros: DeeJay is another really fantastic figure produced by Jazwares that will never get the appreciation it deserves. Wonderfully unique sculpt with lots of detail, a solid articulation scheme that allows for a good amount of poses and a ton of accessories including legitimate looking weapons that we could only dream about from Hasbro in their Marvel Legends/Classified lines. To top it off, he even comes with a waste turntable set up that properly reminds me of a popular British Tiktoker who runs about with a full DJ set up playing dance music while evading the police.

Cons: Slight issue with limited ankle movement, but not really a huge deal. I?ve even been able to figure out the dreaded hand articulation which has been a point of contention since the start.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #1354
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

827-2
Hasbro: Marvel Legends: Magneto & Professor Charles Xavier

v

I don?t think that the X-Men get the credit that they deserve. Seems like a bold statement for those who grew up reading comics in the 90?s, but I assure you: there has been a sizable drop off in goodwill for the mutants and I can chalk it up to one single factor: Disney. See back in the day (the 90?s) Marvel had two massive bankable franchises: Spiderman and X-Men. Both had popular comic titles, both had toys galore and both had uber popular TV cartoons. Like clockwork, these franchises made their way to the big screen for live action treatment and both fared extremely well in the grand scheme of things. Throughout the years since, both franchises have seen peaks and valleys with live action movie releases, but I believe that Spiderman is poised for more success in the short term due to his direct involvement in the UBER popular MCU franchise, which is really weird to me considering Disney doesn?t even have the rights to the Spiderman movies, but would have full control over the X franchise. I?m guessing timing had a lot to do with it, but why is there no plans for the Mutants to be introduced with the likes of Thor and Captain Marvel? Like somehow we are getting a Fantastic Four film before X-Men? Ridiculous. I suppose the saving grace is that Proof X was featured in the latest Dr Strange movie, but was hardly an addition, but rather a subtraction (and if you have seen the movie, you know what I mean). Don?t get me wrong, as a fan of the X-Men, I want things to be done correctly and for things to not be rushed, but fans have rather short attention spans and if they wait too long they may miss the every important nostalgia train.

Pros: Magneto- Clearly based on the best X-Men prequel, this version of Magneto is based on the version that we saw in Days of Future Past. I love the overall design and how it turned out. I also appreciate how Hasbro included various head sculpts that match each actor who played the iconic part.

Professor X: Not sure if this is just another use of the ?suit? mould, but given that its Prof X, I?d say that it works well for the character. I also really appreciate how intricate the wheelchair accessory is. As with Magneto, Charles comes with a few different heads matching the actors that play him.

Cons: Magneto- A head sculpt does not a character make. What I mean by that is that the body is buff, like Luke Skywalker in the 90?s buff and is a stretch not just for Michael Fastbender, but hilariously so for the much older Sir Ian Mckellen. I mean, he?s a mutant who controls iron; he?s not spending all his time pumping it and being ripped should not be part of the equation.

Professor X: Kind of what you see is what you get, but if this figure is from the Day of Future Past, there is no reason to include a young bald head as he didn?t lose his hair until the third movie. Not a big deal as I prefer the Patrick Stewart look better.

Old 08-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #1355
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 08-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #1356
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

828-2
Hasbro: Star Wars Black Series: Jyn Erso

Hasbro gets a lot of heat for poor distribution, but it?s a title that they earn through and through and Jyn is a prime example. Around the time of Rogue Squadron release, Hasbro made and released a series of Black Series figures based on the main characters of the movie; pretty standard stuff. They started with Casion Andor, K2SO, A Death Trooper, a Scarif Storm Tooper, Director Krennic and of course Jyn Erso. The figures were in decent supply and given that the movie did fairly well, the figures sold reasonably well? for the most part. It seemed that for whatever reason Jyn Erso, the lead character of the film was warming shelves in every Toys R Us and Walmart across this great nation of ours and it?s a bit of a mystery as to why. Sure there are the whole ?girl figures don?t sell? argument, but I?m not sure that is the case for collector lines, so I can only assume that they produced double the amount of Jyn?s to every other figure and they just over did it with supply. To this day I can probably still find an original Jyn available for retail price at my local TRU, but that?s not even the end of it. In Hasbro?s infinite wisdom they decided it was time to re-release all the Rogue One figures once again in new packages including and you guessed it: the same Jyn Erso that is currently still on store shelves. Sure the uber popular Captain Rex and Commander Cody are in short supply, but Hasbro will not rest until every person has a Jyn Erso in their personal collection. Quick last minute disturbing thought: do you think it is possible that the general public passed on buying Jyn because she is wearing a head scarf, not unlike a Muslim women might? I would really hope not, but who even knows at this point?

Pros: Regardless of her status as the longest running shelf warmer out there, Jyn Erso is a pretty great figure. Overall nice sculpt, good articulation that allows for nice poses, and even a really Woking holster. I also like that the head scarf is fully removable and doesn?t take anything away from the look of the figure.

Cons: I got nothing: this figure is great.

Old 08-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #1357
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

829-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Moon Knight

What are everyone's final thoughts on the recent Moon Knight Disney Plus series? It’s been done for a while, yet I have not finished (if that gives you any indication as to my overall thoughts about it), but will probably get to it eventually. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Oscar Isaac in the role(s) and the character of Moon Knight is intriguing, but it just feels a bit off, which in lies the problems with some of the Disney Plus series: Is episodic TV a good way to tell these stories? For example, Ironman continues to be one of the best MCU produced films today and set the stage for the entire MCU and it was a story told in under 2 hours, but why are we getting 6, 45 minute episodes about the introduction of Moon Knight to the MCU? Same could be said about the rest of the MCU series given that they all have a story to tell, but it's just spread out so much to fill airtime that it becomes boring. I mean consider this: Infinity War and Endgame have shorter run times than all of the D+ series and there is SO much that happens throughout those movies. I guess I should just be happy that a relatively obscure comic character has come to life in popular media, but I wish they would stop wasting my time with rooftop chase scenes used to fill time.

Pros: Released prior to the Moon Knight show, this version is based on his comic appearance look, which is very similar to what people would be used to at this point. Overall I think Hasbro did an amazing job on the sculpt with added details including armor plates throughout his costume. I also really appreciate the accessories including the batons, cape and little moon blades that can fit in his fist hand “batman” style. SO cool… (con’t)

Cons: …when they actually stay in place. It’s a miracle that I got all three in at once and would suggest anyone having issues to invest in some tweezers. I’m going to stop short from gluing them, but if there was ever a time for Hasbro to make something immovable, it would be with these blades.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #1358
Robimus
Super Moderator

I liked aspects of Moonknight. Issacs was good.

But kinda like Wandavision, I felt like it was experimental high school skit drama class at times.

And the cgi bosses in the end fight, uhgggggggg

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 01:27 PM   #1359
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

830-2
McFarlane Toys: DC Multiverse: Wonder Woman.

So, I can tell you the following about this version of Wonder Woman: She?s based on her look in the comic mini-series ?Last Knight on Earth? and she looks like a total badass. I tried to read the synopsis, and I probably will track down the Comic Historian telling of the story, but if I?m being honest I have no idea what happened or is going on with her. Like I said though: does look totally badass.

Pros: Wonder Women is a perfect example as to why McFarlane is so perfect to produce some of these DC toys. She has an amazing look captured in great detail throughout, a super cool sword with sheath to store it in and a good amount of articulation to capture a good amount of kick ass poses.

Cons: While I have to commend McFarlane for investing so much into a figure that was based on a comic storyline, I wish they would do better to connect the dots as to why this particular Wonder Woman is being produced. I know it?s the age of Google, but as with Marvel Legends figures, what is to stop them from providing a QR code to an online comic outlining what is going on here.

Old 08-18-2022, 02:09 PM   #1360
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

831-2
Hasbro- Transformers Kingdom: Megatron

Based on nothing but a concept and an idea, I have nothing but a bad feeling about the upcoming live action Transformers Beast Wars film. Sure, I?m a glutton for punishment who constantly watches all the previous 6 live action Transformers movies (even Revenge of the Fallen) but I?m not sure that the charm of Beast Wars is going to transfer to the live action big screen. I mean, let?s be honest: it hardly transferred to the small screen in a believable way, that is, realistic animals transforming into robots. To see how big of a challenge this is going to be have a look at the following clips:

Intro to the Japanese Beast Wars Neo cartoon:

https://youtu.be/e7nEtz8t0lc

Trailer for the live action Lion King movie:

https://youtu.be/7TavVZMewpY

The first example had an extremely cartoonish design look to the new Beast Wars Neo animal models with very traditional robot mode design: so much so its almost jarring to watch. The other is from the recent live action Lion King movie that had very realistic animal designs, but looked a bit off while speaking. So that begs the question, how are they going to handle the looks of the beasts from ?Beast Wars??

Whatever they end up doing, I just hope its not robotic looking beasts.

Pros: I?m not sure we really needed an updated Beast Wars Megatron, but in a world with fifty movie Bumblebee figures, I suppose there is always room for more of the same, besides I never had the original figure, but rather the red repainted re-releases (Alliteration!) T-Rex. In any case, this version of Megatron is fantastic. Looks solid in both modes, has surprisingly good articulation as a robot and beast and a fun transformation. And while I know it is a big part of his design, kudos to Hasbro for keeping the right ?dino head? arm.

Cons: Two minor things: 1. The left hand/arm is extremely bulk, but that is more of a design flaw and the panels throughout dino mode are somewhat maddening to line up.