ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 12-19-2021, 02:15 AM   #4731
philtastic
Master of the Universe
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Admittedly, finance is not my milieu, but from what I understood, they appear to have relatively low amounts of debt:

"Ended the period with cash and cash equivalents of $1.413 billion as well as no debt other than a $46.2 million low-interest, unsecured term loan associated with the French government’s response to COVID-19."

And although they're claiming operational losses, that's not the same as being a "bleeding" company. Not for nothing, but they did just rebrand all their stores in Canada, and that takes a bit of an investment. Similarly, Amazon rarely reports a profit, preferring to reinvest earnings (and avoid taxes).

Like I said, I'm hardly a financial expert, but that's my take on it.

But don't worry about Walmart being the only option. There's always Amazon… :/
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:59 AM   #4732
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Yeah the constant pricing changes is pretty much game over for me. After I get Classic Dr. Strange and 20th Anniversary Captain America, I think I'm done as I'll have everything I've ever wanted for my comic Avengers, Spider-Verse, F4, and X-Men displays.

Thank god I made the decision to go after X-Men on the aftermarket than the animated series set by the way Hasbro has been increasing the prices. A lot of them are quite reasonable to find still.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #4733
MC Culla
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Yep, I agree. $40 isn't that far off.

I can't wait to see the reactions online in the US when they finally hit $30 a figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
Aside from the 90-day return policy for R Club members, I see no reason to buy at Toys R Us.

Their prices have been above MSRP for a while now, it's basically impossible to pre-order anything, and they don't even price match anymore.

Unless they're having a particularly good sale (low enough to beat the Edge discount at GameStop), or it's an exclusive, I'm done with TRU, and have been for a while.

There are many better options.
Agreed.

I see this has now spread online at TRU and also to Star Wars Black Series. Interestingly enough WWE Elite figures remain at $29.99 and I would consider them comparable to all these lines.

I supported TRU for many years over Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc. but many recent changes have turned me off TRU.

The price increases, less frequent sales, high free shipping threshold compared to competitors, and they now are very sticky on price adjusting make me take my business elsewhere.

I am interested to see of if other retailers follow suit as when prices made their way to $33.99 the others seemed to follow. Having said that, Wal-Mart is just as bad charging $40 for their exclusives when last year they were $30.
MC Culla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #4734
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
Admittedly, finance is not my milieu, but from what I understood, they appear to have relatively low amounts of debt:

"Ended the period with cash and cash equivalents of $1.413 billion as well as no debt other than a $46.2 million low-interest, unsecured term loan associated with the French government?s response to COVID-19."

And although they're claiming operational losses, that's not the same as being a "bleeding" company. Not for nothing, but they did just rebrand all their stores in Canada, and that takes a bit of an investment. Similarly, Amazon rarely reports a profit, preferring to reinvest earnings (and avoid taxes).

Like I said, I'm hardly a financial expert, but that's my take on it.

But don't worry about Walmart being the only option. There's always Amazon? :/
Fair points.

I will say this for Amazon their storefront doesn't matter to them in the long run as their AWS is their bread and butter. Their online store is a small piece of their empire. Probably only pays for penis shaped rockets lol

But I shudder to think Walmart and Amazon as my only options in Canada besides the small online retailers.
sixshot1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #4735
MorphGrid
Cobra Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
Fair points.

I will say this for Amazon their storefront doesn't matter to them in the long run as their AWS is their bread and butter. Their online store is a small piece of their empire. Probably only pays for penis shaped rockets lol

But I shudder to think Walmart and Amazon as my only options in Canada besides the small online retailers.
I'm pretty sure it's the other way around considering the beginning of the pandemic is when Amazon saw an explosion in their profits. Based on recent information, Online stores account for 45-50% of Amazon's revenue (which is comparable to 2015-2020 numbers), compared to AWS accounting for 15%.
MorphGrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:45 PM   #4736
chaingunsofdoom
Master of the Universe

New doom to end 2021 for collectors at retail...

Solid cases of 8 figs are showing up at WM here. Villains Dormamu and Doom from months ago. Solid case of What If T'Challa, Spidey, Strange. Solid case of Spidey without BAF piece from NWH.

These are the same figs at 2 different WMs now.
chaingunsofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #4737
usernameprime
Cobra Commander

Collectors: Hasbro raised prices and I don't think if I can afford to pay.

Hasbro: I can do this all DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (87.8 KB, 38 views)
usernameprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #4738
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameprime View Post
Collectors: Hasbro raised prices and I don't think if I can afford to pay.

Hasbro: I can do this all DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

I NEED EACH, AND EVERY, ONE OF THESE VARIANTS HASBRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 04:22 PM   #4739
Ksteel
Mutant

I'm good with the price increase. Basically $40 a figure after Tax.

That's why I didn't bother with the "Infinity Saga" line.

Ideal time to end the Marvel collection, and the price hike is good enough incentive.

It was fun during the Endgame hype and the lockdown, but all good things.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 05:24 PM   #4740
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

I am less excited about Legends than previously, I have all the characters I need. I should change my name to Gi Joe guy
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote