ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #201
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

090-2
Hasbro- Transformers Dark of the Moon- Human Alliance: Sandstorm and Private Dencliff

Whoa, two sand themed figures in a row, I must be so over winter that I’m subconsciously picking out beach themed figures from the pile to open. I’m close to being through with all the Human Alliance figures and as far as they go, Sandstorm is one of the better ones. I’m a fan because I like the dune buggy vehicle mode where Private Dencliff (who looks remarkably like Ted Danson and there is also “Cliff” right in the name) fits quite nicely into the driver's seat and reminds me of the original Headmasters concept. I also like his robot mode as it has a bit of a G1 feel what with his large feet made from hood of the car; makes me wonder if a little retooling could provide a movie-verse Beachcomber.

Pros: All around great figure with a fun transformation, great 3 modes and lots of play value. Bonus blonde Ted Danson human figure for all those Cheers fans out there!

Cons: Not a darn thing.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:55 AM   #202
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

091-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Power Core Combiners: Heavytread.

A nice bulky, stocky figure that has a fantastic transformation and great tank mode. There was very little media accompanying the Power Core Combiner releases so it is difficult to say how Heavytread fits into the Autobots, but given his stature and overall look, I would think he would fit the Bulkhead type role on the team. As an aside, I unless I did more googling, I would not be able to tell you who from the Powercore Combiners are Autobots or Decepticons as I don’t even think they have symbols, weird.

Heavytread comes with a Mincon named Groundspike who turns into a… blade for the tank? And a Claw as a melee weapon and is rather unique given that most of the Minicons are guns. I actually kind of like it as it reminds me of the Transformers Armada game where minicons had all sorts of fun uses. I may just need to revisit that game as I actually quite enjoyed it.

Pros: Cool bulky figure with two nice modes and unique Minicon partner.

Cons: The tank barrel does not move up and down.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #203
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

092-2
DC Collectibles- DC Icons: Black Adam

Let me pose this question: Of all the characters released in the DC Icons series, is any hero more powerful than Black Adam? Superman? No, he’s not effective against magic? Wonder Woman? Perhaps, but Black Adam’s limitless powers come from the Gods of Ancient Egypt and would far out power her over time. Aquaman? Oh please… Point is that DC Collectibles has basically doomed the entire Icons universe to be ruled by Black Adam because they did want to release the one character that is capable of stopping him… Captain Marvel! Thanks a lot DC Collectibles.

Pros: Amazing sculpt, nice extra hands and decent possibility. Really like the head sculpt as well.

Cons: Lacking a thigh swivel and does not have anyone to rival his powers thereby guaranteeing all humans a life of slavery and servitude under our one true ruler Black Adam. (Again, thanks A LOT DC Collectibles for domming us all…)

Old 04-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #204
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

093-2
Disney Infinity 3.0: Nick Fox.

Aside from a few hours of playtime on Infinity 1.0, I have not given much time to the franchise outside of collecting all the figures. That said, I am aware of the general concept and know that each character has some type of special ability in the game and it makes me wonder as to what Nick’s ability would be? He’s a bit of a grifter by trade so crafting money making schemes is a bit high level for Disney Infinity, but all the same the character is definitely sculpted like he is up to something shady so I suppose I’ll just have to check it out myself in the game at some point.

Pros: Excellent sculpt that captures his personality very well.

Cons: Part of a cancelled game series.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #205
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

094-2
DC Collectibles- Batman The Animated Series: Manbat.

I’m not going to bury the lead on this one, when I first saw Manbat I had some high hopes and was disappointed with the end product when in hand.
Let's start with the good. Manbat is a very ambitions figure with an impressive wingspan that gives the figure a lot of presence. I also appreciate the sculpt, as with the other DC Animated figures, looks like he came right out of the cartoon.

Now the not so good: Outside of a ball style shoulder joint there is really no articulation on either pairs of the wings/arms. This isn’t a huge deal on the extended wings, but would be nice if there was some available movement with the smaller wings. Also the rest of the articulation is basically limited to his hips, knees and a calve swivel which unfortunately is loose as hell on mine making any pose without a stand basically impossible. And don’t even get me started on the stand…. DC Collectibles, if you are reading (and I know you are not), while I appreciate that you included a stand, I just wish that you would make them better; not unlike Radioactive Man’s Goggles: these do nothing… Lastly the accessories are, how do I say this? Pointless. 3 pill bottles and a cassette tape. Can he hold the pill bottles? Nope! Is there some place to store them? Heck no! Are they ridiculously small and easy to lose? You betcha. Look, I love the show accurate accessories in this line, but I'm willing to bet that any fan of the character would much prefer a figure whose neck was articulated to allow him to look up while flying around using them huge wings then a few throw away accessories.

Pros: Really nice sculpt and ‘Impressive wingspan!’ - Ham from Toy Story

Cons: limited articulation, loose joints, terrible stand and pointless accessories.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #206
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

095-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends Series: Thor

Growing up I was never really a big fan of Thor. Sure I can see the appeal what with the cool cape and costume, awesome helmet and (impossible to pronounce correctly the first time) trusty hammer Mjolnir, but perhaps his background as a Norse God was a bit too much in this world of superheroes for me to properly get behind. Even in the MCU his first two movies were among my least favourites, not because they were bad per se, but just because I had no connection to the character.

“But, Team Jetfire?” You ask “If you hate this character so much, why on earth would you sink $75 bucks into him?!”

Well concerned reader, it's simple. Firstly, I got him on sale for around $45 on Amazon so it was well worth the price. Secondly, he is frickin AWESOME!

Pros: Great overall sculpt including detailed body, cloth cape, two amazing head sculpts that can be interchanged to have the helmet or flowing hair and a fully articulated body to achieve all the poses you would ever want.

Cons: If I'm being greedy I would have liked some open hands? Additionally I wish the strap on Mjolnir could have been made from cloth or leather so he could hold it by the wrist. I can also appreciate that not everyone is a 12” fan and would not have room in their collections.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #207
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-22-2018, 11:10 PM   #208
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #209
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

096-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Retaliation: Cobra Combat Ninja.

Isn’t the term “Combat Ninja” a bit of a overstatement to describe what they are. I mean, Ninja’s by definition are somewhat combat savey and you would expect any Ninja to be a combat Ninja right? That said, there is really not much to this figure that screams Ninja; He’s in head to toe combat fatigues, has a riot helmet and balaclava, comes with an arsenal of machine guns as well as a RPG mounted on a tripod, but does have that katana sword so he must be trained in the Ninjitsu arts? And why we are on the subject, where is Cobra getting all these Ninja’s? Do they train them in house? Are they considered less of a Ninja because they are trained by Cobra (kinda like a barista from Starbucks is looked down on from ones that train for years) and if it was this easy to fill up a brigade with Ninja’s why would they not just make EVERY Cobra soldier a Ninja?
Ok, perhaps I’m reading too far into it, but maybe Hasbro should stop slapping Ninja on everything just to make a figure sound cooler to someone who grew up in the 80’s is completely predisposed to love it, despite the fact that it is barely a Ninja.

Pros: Great arsenal full of different weapons, multiple hears and helmets, Nice touch of a Cobra Flag.

Cons: No storage for all the weapons and the stand for the RPG is super loose.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #210
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

097-2
Playmates- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- Nickelodeon Raphael

Whoa, Ninja theme, told you that as a kid from the 80’s I have a thing for Ninjas.

It is hard to believe that the “new” Nickelodeon TMNT series was first released in 2012 and we are now on the cusp of another animated series (that looks... interesting). I actually really enjoyed the Nick series and plan to eventually watch through all the seasons when it hits my streaming service of choice.
I’m not sure I mentioned this in an older TMNT review, but I’ll just say it again: growing up, I was never able to get a “normal” turtle figure back in the day. I either had to settle for a secondary character or one of the Turtles in a weird costume. Seeing as I was not interested in ‘Touchdown Tossing Leonardo” ( A real thing) I typically opted for the coolest secondary characters I could find. And while I do begrudge my Foot Solder, LeatherHead, or personal fav Yusagi Ugimbo, I would have really loved at least one of the main four as they were meant to be. Why do I bring this up? Well, last week while checking out my local Wal-Mart I was surprised to see 4 of the basic assortment of the turtles on the shelves; how great is that? Although I think the new releases are a big different (have pupils) but still think it is pretty cool. This set was purchased when they first came out, all those years ago.

Pros: Nice set of weapons reminiscent of the old school figures with the weapon pack, A sculpt and skin tone that is special to Raphael, including a little crack on his chest plate, and costs nder $10 which is great considering Hasbro’s new crazy prices.

Cons: Cool poses are somewhat limited due to sculpt and articulation.