ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #211
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

098-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Star Wars: Yoda.

I'm torn on this version of Yoda. On one hand, he is based on his appearances in the Clone Wars cartoon (which is a fantastic series that honestly makes the prequels better) and features a nice action pose complete with his little green lightsaber, but in the other hand, the wise old master from the swamp will always be my default Yoda as this was the one I grew up with. I understand why they went with his younger, more capable look though, it is a Action-Adventure game, not a sit around in a dank hut game.

Pros:Bursting out of the Clone Wars: A little Yoda with a lightsaber!

Cons: Static figure from a cancelled game.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #212
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

099-2
Bandai- Thundercats: Tygra

Another 3.75 Thundercat figure and honestly is a bit of a mixed bag. I suppose he is a good example as to the limitations of this size class and further qualifies my preference to the 6” figures.

Pros: Nice sculpt, decent articulation and character specific accessories.

Cons: His gun is a bit on the large side making it look silly in hand and the belt is even worse.

Old 05-02-2018, 11:53 AM   #213
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

100-2
Hasbro- Transformers: Cosmos

Cosmos is an amazing character: Despite the fact that The Transformers were basically a thrown together hodgepodge of toys lines with a quickly written narrative to try and create a cohesive backstory, he certainly was one of the more excellent choices. Why? Well consider the following: The Transformers have the apparent ability to pick whatever alternate mode that they have, so it is interesting that Cosmos would take the fictional alt mode of a UFO; something that even as an intergalactic traveling alien race, the Transformers do not used, and somehow it still works for him? With that logic, why would the Autobots not just reformat themselves to a Cybertron jet to fly home? Or maybe have WheelJack design a perpetual energy machine and reformat himself to it and solve there Energon crisis? Or perhaps Megatron should have made Starscream reformat into a smaller version of Unicron and have him eat through all the Autobots? See, the fact that Cosmos is what he is makes almost anything possible, thereby making him one amazing character!

Pros: I love these G1 inspired, updated minibots because of the updated sculpting while keeping a G1 flair with a nice amount of usable articulation.

Cons: His vehicle mode doesn’t really tab very well together.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #214
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

101-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Sentry

So, I have no clue who Sentry is and after reading through his Wiki page (clearly written by his number one fan) I still have no idea, but I will say he, and his story within the Marvel Universe, seems pretty great and unique; quite a feat considering his character was unveiled less than 18 years ago. Sure, he is not exactly the most well known superhero, but given that new Marvel characters are now only slight amendments to existing, more successful characters (Miles Spider-Man, Ms Marvel, Hulk, Iron Heart, Facon Cap, etc, etc) it is pretty interesting that a character like Sentry can have a fairly decent impact on the Marvel Universe and have 2 Marvel Legend toys produced; clearly someone at Hasbro is a fan.

Pros: Nice head sculpt, big beefy character and the belt reminds me of Hercules’ belt from his 60’s cartoon appearances. (If you are not aware, I highly recommend checking it out on Youtube, it is one of those things from my childhood that I will never forget).

Cons: While I appreciate that they produced a relative unknown character for a mass release I feel that that could do a much better job in showcasing the history for the character. His cape is also a bit of a pain as it is made from a hard plastic making many “action’ poses difficult.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #215
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

102-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Marvel: Black Panther

The intention was to get this review out around the time that the Black Panther movie was released and boy-o-boy did I miss that mark. What can I say? I have been busy! However during the time (when I was presumably being lazy), the movie has delighted thousands of movie goers around the world and found some modest (re: ALL the monies) success at the same time once again proving that a well-made movie, with compelling characters and a decent story will find an audience. The fact that in 2018 that this was still somewhat of a question is a bit baffling, but never less I assume that times are a changing and I for one and looking forward to it. I will say that when I first heard Marvel’s plan for a Black Panther addition to the MCU I was less that enthused. I was not much of a BP comic fan and his appearances in the animated offerings were less than flattering, making him seem very unlikable as the King of Wakonda, so imagine my surprised at his amazing cameo in Captain America: Civil War in which he, along with Spider-Man, are my favorite parts of an already amazing movie; high praise indeed. There is just something about how he is portrayed in the MCU that makes him charming and likable, but also very serious and this was further developed in his standalone movie along with the further building out of his backstory and family who, in my opinion, are just as great. And don’t even get me started on Kilmonger’s story… that will have to wait until I review that series of Marvel legends (probably next year sometime at this rate)

Anyways, as with all Infinity figures, this one is great; certainly another that if was scaled up could be very popular with a lot of collectors, myself included.

Pros: Great cartoonish sculpt in a great pose of an awesome MCU character.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #216
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

103-2

Hasbro- G.I. Joe- The Pursuit of Cobra: Snow Job

Snow Job? What kind of name is that? It's so random hey? Somewhat on the nose but totally believable. I mean, he is clearly a winter type character that spends much of his time in the SNOW and has a JOB to do... so it seams reasonable? Anyways, as a kid I always liked Snow Job and certainly gravitated to him and the other arctic type characters; chalk that up to growing up in Canada as well as spending a good portion of the winter on skies. So the ability to roleplay as a character like Snow Job on the slopes was natural progression. As an adult, I don’t ski much at all, but certainly appreciate a figure like Snow Job due to all the great accessories that he comes with. Seriously there is nothing better than a guy who has a model of transportation and an entire campsite that basically fits on his back?!?! Those who are familiar with my reviews know that I give big marks to any action figure that has the ability to carry all their accessories.

Pros: Lots of cool accessories for hours of play value and can carry them all at the same time.

Cons: His overcoat limits articulation and poseability. Additionally it would be nice if there were some instructions as to what all his stuff does. Much like the Jungle Viper there is no insert explaining what to do with it all; thank goodness for the internet.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #217
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

104-2
Bandai- Thundercats: Mumm-Ra.

Ok, I don’t really know who Mumm-Ra is. Yes I realize that he is the main antagonist to the Thundercats and I believe that he is almost like an Egyption type God, but that doesn’t really make much sense as the Thundercats aren’t from earth and the Egyptians are not from Thundera… or are they?? Ok kids, get out your tinfoil hats, because I have a crazy theory:

So we’ll start with the basics, The world of the Thundercats was like Star Wars and the events of the cartoon took place a long time ago in a galaxy far away. When Lion-O and his Thundercat’s finally defeated Mumma Ra they were only able to kill his physical form. However, as he was a mystical type being, his spirit survived and eventually left their planet in search of an new body and world to rule.
Fast Forward milenia where a weary Mumm-Ra happened upon our blue and green planet around 4000 BC where the Egyptian civilization was rapidly growing and had a certain penchant for the feline species in their daily life. Mumm-Ra, being familiar with cats, given his lifelong battle with them, was able to bond with the ancient cities cat population and secretly implement his will over the people making them model their culture from his life on Thunera all those years ago. Examples included the practice of wrapping their dead in cloth to look like mummies, pyramid designs and paintings with different anthropomorphic animals painted as gods (not unlike all the various animal species from Thundera). Over time Mumm-Ra started to form a strong bond with the cats and even eventually appreciated them in a way that made him quite homesick for his life on Thundera therefore eventually showing his affections by ensuring that the Cats of Egypt were celebrated and revered for years thereafter.

Pros: Nice sized figure with some really cool accessories and add ons. Has a decent amount of articulated joints and the sculpt looks really imposing as the Thundercats main enemy.

Cons: The hands have a difficult time holding the weapons and his helmet has a tendency pop off. Also the poseability is somewhat limited despite the all the joints and articulation.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #218
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

105-2
Disney Store- Toy Box- Marvel: Hulk.

Not going to lie, the Mumm-Ra review took a lot out of me so I’ll just keep this short. Pound for pound (literally) this is the largest, most dense, heaviest action figure out there. And with that size, come a few setbacks. I will also say that Disney made a poor choice in swapping an angry Hulk face (as seen on the Infinity set and the back of the package) for a neutral Hulk face.

***boo, hiss, grrr***.

Pros: Nice sized, imposing figure with an ok amount of articulation and fun little accessory all for a low price.

Cons: Neutral looking face sculpt, in favor of advertised promotional picture found on back of package for Hulk make Team Jetfire ANGRY and you would not want to see him when he is ANGRY!!!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #219
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

106-2
Funko- Rick and Morty: Mr Meeseeks.

“Hey look at me, I’m Mr Meeseeks and I’m here because Team Jetfire needed another purchase to qualify for free shipping from EB games! Hey look at me!”

I was a little late to the party to the amazingly funny Rick and Morty series but I feel that as a Canadian I have a bit of a defence as I don't think that it was even available to us on TV until last year. At any rate I have been taking it real slow with my consumption of the series given that the season are so short and that it is supper enjoyable to watch and I want to savour it like a fine wine. Sure, I miss more memes this way (Pickle Rick) but at least I won't be waiting for years before the new seasons.

Pros: Figure captures the look from the cartoon well, which can't really be said about the other characters in the line and comes with nice accessories from the episode.

Cons: An angry or frustrated head sculpt would go along well with his gun accessory.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #220
SanMiguel
Agent of Shield
SanMiguel's Ebay Auctions

Cool, how much you got Mr Meeks? Is the gun scaled with ML 6"?
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote