ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 04:26 PM   #1821
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

1007-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Iron Man

I’m not going to lie here, I was very annoyed that I had to buy another Iron Man to complete a BAF for the wave, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got him out of the package. Is this my favorite Iron Man figure? No, far from it, but at least Hasbro gave us something that was a bit different than all the various MCU repaints. I also like how this version is a bit more cartoonish than others in the Marvel Legends line and I for one would love to see more like it. Almost like taking a cue from the figures released as part of the Spiderman Across the Spider-Verse waves: less realistic and more stylized. Incidentally, McFarlane does this very well on some of their DC Multiverse figures. Not saying that I want realism thrown out of the window, but taking some artistic license with figures that can be VERY stylized in the comic medium that they were first created in can’t be a bad thing right?

Pros: Pleasantly surprised with this figure from top to bottom. Has a nice sleek sculpt, a decent range of motion and I appreciate the extra hands and blast effects.

Cons: I assume the arm cannon was a weapon featured in the comic, but it’s just not doing anything for me.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #1822
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

1008-2
Diamond Select- Invincible: Omni-Man

For someone who apparently is a big fan of the Invincible cartoon, I’m doing a terrible job in showing it. Sure, I buy the toys and sing its praises, but as of this review I have not seen a second of the new season; a season that I was VERY MUCH looking forward to. Why do you ask? Well there are a number of reasons that one could chalk up to not watching a series that they like and I could likely make a case for each one of those reasons, but the long and short of it is that I have a bit of a mental issue when it comes to starting and finishing something that I was really looking forward to or excited about and would rather spend time on the stupid mundane stuff that doesn’t have the same anticipation factor attached to it. And it’s not just a TV show, but includes opening Toys and Playing Video Games. Confused? Let me give you another example. Last year, during their Boxing Day sale, I preordered a Mythic Legends Headless Horseman figure from Toysnowman and finally showed up in November. I have been looking forward to this figure for a long time and cannot wait to open it up, but I also know that once I open it up, I will no longer be looking forward to it and makes me rethink any plans to open it up and put it off for another figure that I’m less excited for. And while it seems still and funny, it's really almost debilitating given that I rarely enjoy the activity that I was putting so much stock into given that I know I’ll feel downhearted after. Same goes with a new TV show or series: once it is done, I know that it will be years until the next one and be sad that it is done. Sucks right? The problem is that it’s stupid. Why am I upset? I have hundreds of toys to look at and hours of TV/Movies to watch so there is quite literally no end to my potential anticipation. I guess it is something that I should work on and given that it's still close to the New Year, I can make it a resolution of sorts: Let yourself enjoy the stuff you enjoy without feeling bad that it’s happened. I’ll keep you all posted on how it is going.

Pros: I love the Invincible series and love Omni-Man as a villain. Firstly he is an absolute killer that really showcases how a being with absolute power would really act and secondly I love that he is voiced by JK Simmons. The figure is nice and looks as though he busted right out of the TV screen with a very accurate sculpt. It’s also funny to me that they included another set of baseball gear for him and Mark (Invincible) to play catch like they did in better times.

Cons: I know that this is Diamond Select, but on the whole the figure feels a bit dated with a fairly old style articulation scheme. I don’t hate it and it’s a solid release, but as compared to the other manufacturers it could certainly have been better.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote