ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Canadian Action Figure News

Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Toys"R"Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Groot Released in Canada

Thanks to a report from AFN members victory_saber & Tommy Barricade we now know that the Toys"R"Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Groot has been released in Canada.

The initial sightings have been made at Toys"R"Us stores in Manitoba and British Columbia.

Share what action figures are being sighted in your area in our Canadian Action Figure Sightings Forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Groot.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	9653  

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 04-15-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
SkitchDC
Clonetrooper
Re: Toys"R"Us Exclusive Marvel Legends Groot Released in Canada

Review for Figure is below you can still get this on shelves I got mine two days ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVXthVZzPwQ
SkitchDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
cloud
Master of the Universe

It is also available online
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #4
Darth Cosmos
Master of the Universe

My Toys R Us finally stocked these, they hadn't shown up yet and I missed him when it was available online. I noticed it came back online yesterday and checked my store for pick up and it was finally in stock!
Darth Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
SkitchDC
Clonetrooper

Such a solid figure for $25! or even $30 I wish they did this with more BAFS
SkitchDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 AM   #6
cloud
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkitchDC View Post
Such a solid figure for $25! or even $30 I wish they did this with more BAFS
I was kind of surprise to see this. But this is probably a one off thing and I certainly hope so.
I am not a fan of rereleases like this and how it hurt collecting.
In this case, a new headsculpt and new accessories sort of makes it worthwhile and completes the vol.2 team.
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Darth Cosmos
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I was kind of surprise to see this. But this is probably a one off thing and I certainly hope so.
I am not a fan of rereleases like this and how it hurt collecting.
In this case, a new headsculpt and new accessories sort of makes it worthwhile and completes the vol.2 team.
Huh? How does it hurt collecting?

If anything this re-release gives people who didn't get the BAF a chance to have a full Groot.

And it won't be ending. The Rhino BAF will be re-released as a Wal-Mart exclusive before the end of the year and I'm happy with that. Having these BAFs as exclusives to be re-released is perfect since then it's not taking up a spot in a new wave. Also Groot has a brand new paint job from head to toe, new head sculpt and two small Groots in his other forms. So it isn't just a simple rehash either. Sure for people who have the BAF already it isn't worth it but for those who never got or completed Groot they added more to it than just a simple re-pack.

I rarely ever buy full waves as there is usually only 3-4 characters I actually want in a wave, so releasing the BAFs later on is a wonderful idea.

Last edited by Darth Cosmos; 05-07-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #8
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

It hurts collecting in the sense that a BAF is the incentive to buy an entire wave, its Hasbro saying "you want this figure? the only way you can get it is to build it". I had to shell out like $180 to build the Rhino BAF (which was not a total loss as most of the figures in that wave were pretty good), to hear that figure will be available as a retail exclusive is a kick in the junk to people who shelled out the cash on a full wave. If the trend of re-issuing BAFs continues you will see 3 times as many peg warming figures on the shelves as there will be no reason to buy an entire wave...and the end result will be A) Stores wont restock Legends or B) Hurts Hasbro's sales and we wont see as many waves released per year.

If they are going to release BAFs individually, then why not just scrap the entire concept and release the what would be BAF figures at a higher premium?

While I understand that the figure has a new head, a couple cute Groot Jr figs and that Hasbro was trying to capitalize by pushing this Groot out to coincide with Guardians Vol.2's release, I just feel a little bitter about the whole situation.

I agree it is a good way to draw in new collectors or those who could or did not build the original (Rocket was pretty tough to come by)...but to start reissuing multiple BAFs will send long time Legends collectors into a frenzy.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Darth Cosmos
Master of the Universe

I don't see it being an issue when it's years and years after release. The original Groot is over 3 years old and the Rhino BAF is about 2. That's a decent waiting period. I can understand it being really poor for Hasbro to do it a few months after a BAF wave but 2-3 years seems a fair compromise.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Then why even have a BAF at all? Why not just sell the would be build a figures for $10 more than a standard Legends figure as a stand alone sku.

If they want to re-issue the BAF a year or two after the original release, they should just scrap the concept all together and add in extra heads/hands/accessories to every standard figure and create a "Legends Deluxe" line for the bigger characters...and if this ever happens you can pretty much kiss the chance of seeing any non popular character releases good bye because without the BAF piece only hard core collectors are going to buy characters like Jackal (great figure btw). Just my 2 cents, not at all trying to start controversy.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
groot, legends, marvel