ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-29-2024, 04:31 PM   #1791
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

991-2
Hasbro- Transformers Earthrise- War for Cybertron: Snapdragon.

Well this is a biggie for me given that G1 Snapdragon was one of my favorites and also possibly one of the last Transformers that I got as a kid (as I typed this, I remembered getting some ?Micro-Masters? sets, but I certainly didn?t get anything as impressive as Snapdragon [Ok, that was another lie as I recall getting the totally rad Power-Master Getaway a little later too, but that is totally it]). And while It?s completely unrelated, my enjoyment of the Transformers just happened to align with a fairly significant life change. It was 1987, we lived in Vancouver B.C. (Surrey to be exact, be we always said White Rock because it was a much better community) and life was pretty good. NES was all the rage, I had just got a few Headmasters Transformers for Christmas and the coveted Season 4 of the Transformers cartoon was being broadcast that showcased a brand new slough of characters, new sub-groups and of course TOYS! However we were about to embark on what seemed to be a bi-annual tradition and movie cities once again. This was a bit of a bummer given that we had just moved to Vancouver 2 years prior from Ottawa and 2 years prior from Calgary and 2 years prior from Edmonton and 2 years prior to that from Calgary (where I was born) just to land BACK in Calgary. This was a lot of travel for a kid of 10 years old. Anyways, I feel prior to the movie Transformers were a big part of my life, but after, I really had very little interest outside of a few Micr o-Master sets and the one PowerMaster named Getaway. And it?s not that I reached that age where toys were not cool anymore as I was still hardcore in to GI Joe, but I think I just changed what I was interested in. I guess I just didn?t love the ?Pretenders? and ?Action Masters? sublines, but it didn?t help that there was ZERO media to go along with it. That said, I didn?t stray that far given that I had religiously watched the ?updated? (?) Transformers Generation 2 showed as a teen and jumped right back into the fold during Beast Machines. And while it really does seem like a very long time between my last Transformer figure as a kid and my first Transformer as an adult collector, it was really only 10 years.

Pros: Overall SnapDragon is just a really solid figure and everything that I would want in an updated figure. Looks great in all modes, has a fun yet intuitive transformation scheme and makes use of the HeadMaster gimmick really well. I also STILL love the idea that heads can turn into little drivers for the vehicle.

Cons: I think the one thing that is NOT improved on from this updated Headmaster series is the little head figures. They are a lot smaller than the originals and have a lot less movement. The originals felt like an entirely separate add-on figure, while this feels like an attachment; I mean, these were fully fledged characters in G1.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 04:31 PM   #1792
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-30-2024, 03:33 PM   #1793
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

992-2
Mattel- Jurassic Park Amber Collection: Dr Ellie Sattler

Given the unbelievable demand for 24/7 content that will get clicks it has become the norm for writers to re-examine previous media under a current, more progressive lens and I‘m afraid even a beloved, sci-fi dinosaur adventure has somewhat come under fire and I’m not sure how I feel about it. If you are unaware, some people (probably one writer looking for buzz) pointed out the rather surprising age difference between two of the characters that are (potentially?) in a relationship. Dr Alan Grant (played by Sam Neil) and Dr Ellie Sattler (played by Laura Dern) are established as both experts in their respective fields and are also hinted to have some type of romantic entanglements (if not to stop Dr Ian Malcolm’s own advances) throughout the film. So what’s the big deal? Well, the actors playing this couple have a fairly large age gap and one that, while not uncharacteristic in real society, is not exactly appropriate. At the time of filming, Neil would be 45 and Dern would have been 25; that’s a 20 year age difference between love interests and one that I’m not sure I’d be comfortable with. As of this review I’m 44 and the thought of being with a person my kid’s age is nuts. That said, I don’t have any issue with this onscreen relationship for a few reasons: 1. It’s not even clear if there IS a formal relationship and is more of an assumption made by the viewer. In fact, Dr Sattler shows no romantic feelings for Dr Grant, so this could just be a crush that has formed on his part, but never reciprocated. This is further supported by the idea that in the sequels they don’t end up with one another. 2. While the actors are 20 years apart, the CHARACTERS don’t seem to have a sizable age difference. They are both Drs, they are both experts in their fields and they seem to be presented as colleagues. In fact, I didn’t realize there was even that much of an age gap when I watched it, but only learned about it later. Truly I think Hollywood male leads tend to “play” more youthful characters, while female leads “age up” to play older characters and thereby reduce the perception of an age gap and can be seen in a lot of very popular movies. In any case, despite the original writer's intent to shock readers with this new revelation, I’m unconvinced and don’t give it much weight. That said, I do have a number of Raiders of the Lost Ark reviews coming up that may be a bit more difficult to rationalize, if you know what I mean.

Pros: Honestly great. As with all the other JP figures, Dr. Sattler is a great figure to have in the collection and I have to give Mattel some credit for a nice sculpt, decent articulation and some nice character specific accessories. Hell, they even pulled off a “glasses” head sculpt better than most other toy companies out there.

Cons: The belt is hilariously big and even though it may seem to be deeming, I think a bucket of ice cream and a spoon may have been a fun accessory.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:54 PM   #1794
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

993-2
Loyal Subjects- BST AXN- Avatar The Last Airbender: Zuko.

I?ve said it before, but I feel that we are on the precipice of what is going to be AVATAR palooka and I?m not sure how I feel about it. I suppose on one hand, more of something that I like should always be a good thing, but I?m just REALLY worried that the creators (or whoever has the rights) is going to focus on the wrong things that made the series great. I mean, doing yet another ?live action? re-telling of The Last Airbender is problematic, but to develop a slough of media with the intent on filling in the story gaps between TLAB and TLOK is a massive mistake. We don?t need new Aang adventures, but rather more new stories of the other Avatars. We?ve seen the best days of Aang and crew and more ?big adventures? will only degrade what made TLAB special? mark my words. That said, if it is indeed true that a new Avatar series with an EARTHBENDER Avatar, post Korra, is coming, then I do have some hope for the franchise.

Pros: I REALLY want to like these BST AXN figures, but they really are just ok. They do have a lot going for them in a good size, lots of neat accessories and decent articulation, but I have not had one that was not a loose, sloppy mess.

Cons: Loose joints are the biggest issue. If they can tighten these up I would have a much greater appreciation for them, but as is they continue to be a bit disappointing.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:54 PM   #1795
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-02-2024, 04:02 PM   #1796
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

88-S
NECA- Dungeons & Dragons: War Duke

If you asked me 2 years ago if I was gushing about a new Dungeons & Dragons figure from NECA in 2023 I would think you a fool, but here we are and I'm gushing about a new Dungeons & Dragons figure. The reality is that I am easily swayed, especially in the toy department, and my interests peaked when Dan Larson of the“Toy Galaxy” YouTube channel placed WD near the top of his best of list for 2023. Truth be told, I don't even understand this hodgepodge of a figure or have a clue of what the character is outside of an evil warrior, but I think he has a presence in the old school D&D cartoon and maybe some of the other media? In any case, first and foremost, I am a fan of cool toys and this fits the bill big time. Unfortunately I feel that the push of D&D to the mainstream will be short lived and likely only see a hand full of anything in the future which is a shame considering how robust the IP is, but if I'm being honest, if War Duke was it, I would consider myself lucky as a collector to have it on my shelf.

Pros: Everything. Everything is a PRO on this figure. The detail and sculpt is astounding, the articulation is perfect for what it needs to be and the accessories are just perfect and all have a place to be stored when not in use.

Cons: I got nothing. I love this figure.

Old 02-02-2024, 04:03 PM   #1797
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 02-02-2024, 04:43 PM   #1798
Robimus
Super Moderator

Whatta mean you don't know nothing about War Duke?!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, one word, Warduke!!!!!!

The 80s Dungeons & Dragons toyline was where he originated, kinda separate from the cartoon in a way. The D&D toyline was a full set of figures unto itself essentially. Yes, a handful of the characters get cameos in the cartoon iirc. Warduke is one of them, but to me it was a completely separate deal. Like none of the main cartoon characters got toys in the toy line iirc.

Basically Neca picked up on that vintage toy line and Hasbro made some really poor choices........

Easily one of my favorites for the year as well.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!

Last edited by Robimus; 02-02-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 05:10 PM   #1799
Eko123
Body without Organs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
The 80s Dungeons & Dragons toyline was where he originated, kinda separate from the cartoon in a way. The D&D toyline was a full set of figures unto itself essentially. Yes, a handful of the characters get cameos in the cartoon iirc. Warduke is one of them, but to me it was a completely separate deal. Like none of the main cartoon characters got toys in the toy line iirc.

Basically Neca picked up on that vintage toy line and Hasbro made some really poor choices........

On a related note, back in 2022 NECA released 4 unproduced figures from the LJN line as San Diego Comic Con exclusives.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 284184272_5345026315559710_1560501688433462138_n.jpg (96.3 KB, 7 views)
Eko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM   #1800
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Whatta mean you don't know nothing about War Duke?!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, one word, Warduke!!!!!!

Easily one of my favorites for the year as well.
That is wild. I never knew there was a robust line of D&D figures back in the day. I guess I was too ?into? Joe, MASK and Transformers at the time. Some very cool figures that NECA could run with for sure.

Also, ?War Duke? - what was I thinking!!