ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #21
dinga
Agent of Shield
Re: Dark Times Ahead

Look at Sears. No reason for someone to stay there. No benefits. No retirement plan. Just waiting to fold.
dinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #22
Xtreme987
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Zellers was the bomb!
Ya I remember going to Zellers (to look for xmas gifts for my son, nieces & nephews) before I started collecting Transformers. Shelves & pegs were right full.
Xtreme987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #23
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Zellers was the bomb!

Sorry if you lost your job with the whole Target thing...my mom worked for the Bay for 30 plus years and was let go during that time due to "restructuring" aka "we only want to employ part time workers because its cheaper"
Thanks man..it was a sad day.Worked there for only 7 years but had a great time and made some great friends. It is a shame that it died for nothing. Worked there until the very end. Even sold the fixtures! Target should have just ran it as Zellers and they'd still be here. One of the best parts of working there was that unlike most retailers now they clearanced everything themselves. Loved January/February sales where it'd be 70-80% off and with my discount of 15%, it was 95% off! Got a lot of great items.
and yes as part of HBC, Zellers had started to hire only part time to. We went from 2 people (1 FT and 1 PT) in each department to some night you had 2 people covering the whole store. One in hardlines and one in fashion. Made for a lot of walking lol. Sorry your mom lost her job to. Wow 30 years...worked with a few ladies who were like that. One had 35 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zellers 014.jpg (101.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg zellers 035.jpg (98.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg zellers 058.jpg (100.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg zellers 008.jpg (98.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by cobralegion; 09-21-2017 at 03:02 PM.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

TRU will be fine...for now. Bankruptcy isn't a great precursor, but it also isn't necessarily a death knell.

As for the minimum wage, it's not a bad thing in and of itself, but the rapid implementation and large jump will generate a fair amount of issues.
Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 05:02 PM   #25
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

I actually liked going to Zellers.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #26
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Yeah I always liked Zellers, even though they sometimes sat on stuff for a long time. Their toy departments were always fairly well stocked though.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #27
Gphalen
Reviewer of Stuffs

[QUOTE=KylerGrn;92954]
Quote:
Been to a McDonalds lately? The days of 6 or 7 tills being open to take your order are gone and have almost all but been replaced with giant iPads where you pretty much serve yourself with little to no human interaction."

its actually a fact most stores have had to hire more staff when putting in self service systems - honestly look it up, Mcdonalds alone had to hire roughly 7500 employees canada wide

i can only imagine what it did to wal mart -
minimum wage beig 15$ makes sense since it hasnt increased with inflation for how long?
that mixed with higher business taxation will kill small business in Ontario, large companies are not going to pay you $15 when they can leave and pay $8 in another province, this is why the liberals need to go!
Gphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:21 AM   #28
Robimus
Super Moderator

Please try to steer this topic clear from political discussion, thanks.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #29
KylerGrn
Super Friend

[QUOTE=Gphalen;93054]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gphalen View Post

that mixed with higher business taxation will kill small business in Ontario, large companies are not going to pay you $15 when they can leave and pay $8 in another province, this is why the liberals need to go!
sure....
Toys r us is still open everyone.
KylerGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #30
Hoffman
Agent of Shield

Without wading too far into to political debate, the "higher business taxation" isn't really a thing. From what I've read, the biggest thing is the closure of loopholes whereby you can shift profits to low-income family members as a tax shelter.

It's unlikely that any companies that are scraping by are doing this anyway, since your profits would have to be fairly substantial for it to provide any benefit.

A $15 minimum wage will have substantial impact on small businesses. The proposed tax changes are essentially a non-issue outside of successful businesses reducing their payable taxes.

Not saying it's a good or bad plan, but it's nowhere near as significant as it has been made out I'm to be.

Last edited by Hoffman; 09-22-2017 at 03:10 PM.