ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 07-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #3941
Primetyme
Cobra Trooper
Re: Marvel Legends discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
It's not just them, the other marketplace sellers are doing that too. The figures were there for the sale price for a few hours. Suddenly they're all gone and CMD Stores price shows up. Where did all the figures end up? The same nonsense happens on Amazon too. The figures are up for MSRP. They suddenly sell out and the Marketplace prices show up.

Not every store does this, but CMD always seems to be the one selling stuff as a 3P seller for ridiculous prices.

First of all the Cosmic Ghost Rider sale was notified to some collectors on some Facebook groups a full 15 hours before someone posted the links here. Looking at stocktrack there was only 49 of these in-stock. Some of my friends bought 2 each. Do you really that was enough quantity to last a full day at this price when links were targeted to collectors? Some wild and baseless accusations.

CMDStore didn't buy them all because the quantity was pretty low to begin with originally. If you go to the link they only have one Cosmic Ghost Rider in-stock anyway. Type qty 99, it shows they only have --- and if it goes up dramatically in a couple weeks then maybe there's a chance they bought off Walmart.

https://www.cmdstore.ca/products/mar...32574017339492

Anyways, Walmart re-stocked with 83 so better get going before "someone buys the whole inventory" LOL

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/marvel-...RD437XR3KPGJYP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cosmic_ghost_rider.jpg (20.8 KB, 17 views)
Primetyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:17 AM   #3942
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Yeah.. Collectors really need to get out of the mindset that everyone is a scalper buying all the stock and realize that they aren't the only collectors out there. Don't get me wrong scalpers are a very real thing but Cosmic Ghost Rider has been peg warming forever, Why would CMD buy all the stock to resell at a higher price when big box retailers have been trying to get rid of their stock forever now, even going as far as putting it on sale multiple times a year. It doesn't make a shred of sense for them to do that.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #3943
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Honestly I don't understand why CMD bothers with Walmart.

Are they making enough sales through the site to offset the "bad press" word of mouth that goes on online? Also do they think the "average" buyer distinguishes between them and Walmart when buying through Walmart.ca? Yes you get a much larger audience than just on your site, but people can also more easily see your pricing is higher than "retail". As I said I don't think the average buyer will make the connection to go further into checking your site for pricing differences. Who knows, I sure don't.

As well the more knowledgeable fanbase probably avoids them moreso because of this practice, at least outside of Quebec. Also as Lord Scareglow pointed out, they aren't above reselling exclusives, currently at retail, for a large mark up.

Now, personally, I am not bothered by their practices. I mean Amazon does this and they are arguably the largest retailer in the world. Small, independent retailers like comic shops have sold figures at different prices for years to cover the cost of the peg warmers they will be stuck with down the road.

I would definitely be interested to hear if they do enough business through Walmart to make it worthwhile, or is it a case of "set it and forget it".
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:58 AM   #3944
sixshot1981
Master of the Universe

That is a very real mindset too...been saying it for years. Scalpers do 100% exist...but the nonsense of if you don't get some so therefore it's a scalper is utter nonsense.

You got the item = Awesome you win the day
You don't have the item = Scalpers...always scalpers

Never once is the factor of how large is the collector community around us who are also all looking for the same items in most cases.

Scalpers are these mythical beasts under bridges in their parents basements we constantly blame for all our woes and lack of figures. Just stop it already...
sixshot1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #3945
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshot1981 View Post
That is a very real mindset too...been saying it for years. Scalpers do 100% exist...but the nonsense of if you don't get some so therefore it's a scalper is utter nonsense.

You got the item = Awesome you win the day
You don't have the item = Scalpers...always scalpers

Never once is the factor of how large is the collector community around us who are also all looking for the same items in most cases.

Scalpers are these mythical beasts under bridges in their parents basements we constantly blame for all our woes and lack of figures. Just stop it already...
Your parents have a bridge in their basement! Probably you’re rich from scalping.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:14 PM   #3946
Enforcer
Dark Knight

Does anyone know where the new Hercules will show up for Pre-Order in Canada?
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:20 PM   #3947
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Does anyone know where the new Hercules will show up for Pre-Order in Canada?
Probably EB or TRU.
Old 07-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #3948
ssjgoku22
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Honestly I don't understand why CMD bothers with Walmart.

Are they making enough sales through the site to offset the "bad press" word of mouth that goes on online? Also do they think the "average" buyer distinguishes between them and Walmart when buying through Walmart.ca? Yes you get a much larger audience than just on your site, but people can also more easily see your pricing is higher than "retail". As I said I don't think the average buyer will make the connection to go further into checking your site for pricing differences. Who knows, I sure don't.

As well the more knowledgeable fanbase probably avoids them moreso because of this practice, at least outside of Quebec. Also as Lord Scareglow pointed out, they aren't above reselling exclusives, currently at retail, for a large mark up.

Now, personally, I am not bothered by their practices. I mean Amazon does this and they are arguably the largest retailer in the world. Small, independent retailers like comic shops have sold figures at different prices for years to cover the cost of the peg warmers they will be stuck with down the road.

I would definitely be interested to hear if they do enough business through Walmart to make it worthwhile, or is it a case of "set it and forget it".
This is why I'm making the argument that they do try to overcharge on Walmart and other sites. The figure is going for $30, they're selling it for $86 plus shipping. Walmart gets like maybe $15 or so as a fee for that sale. The figure is still $70 at that point (more than double what it's going for). Maybe they aren't buying out all of the stock, but they're using this selling practice to basically get customers who aren't aware of the MSRP price to buy it at that price (e.g. parents that don't any better, etc.). If they don't want to seem like they are trying to rip people off, why even go the route of hiking up prices on third party websites?

Also, I get that not everyone is a scalper. I was specifically looking at one store here. Didn't mean to make it seem like every situation was a scalping situation. This scenario with marketplace sellers always bugged me though.

Last edited by ssjgoku22; 07-12-2021 at 01:51 PM.
ssjgoku22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #3949
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjgoku22 View Post
This is why I'm making the argument that they do try to overcharge on Walmart and other sites. The figure is going for $30, they're selling it for $86 plus shipping. Walmart gets like maybe $15 or so as a fee for that sale. The figure is still $70 at that point (more than double what it's going for). Maybe they aren't buying out all of the stock, but they're using this selling practice to basically get customers who aren't aware of the MSRP price to buy it at that price (e.g. parents that don't any better, etc.). If they don't want to seem like they are trying to rip people off, why even go the route of hiking up prices on third party websites?

Also, I get that not everyone is a scalper. I was specifically looking at one store here. Didn't mean to make it seem like every situation was a scalping situation. This scenario with marketplace sellers always bugged me though.
On another tangent, I really would love it if the government stepped in and investigated both Amazon and Walmart for their online practices.

Amazon's whole algorithm BS to justify hiking prices from day-to-day (hell hour-to-hour sometimes), just seems shady. I get that toys are not a necessity, but it seems like "surge" pricing (aka price gouging).

As for Walmart, I'm more interested in them investigating the BS claim that online is a separate company from the stores and as such they don't/won't price match sale items. That seems like a scam tactic to me. It would be nice if the government forced their hand to clarify publicly what they are doing.

Anyway, end of tangent rant against the big boys.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #3950
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

What Walmart is selling it for is not what it's going for. Retail price is separate from Aftermarket. Once a figure leaves retail the price either goes up or down. In this case CGR went up. Most 3rd party sellers use programs to price their products that adjust using algorithms to what the going price is in the secondary market at the moment.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote