ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #141
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here

099 & 100
Disney Infinity: Joy & Anger

I guess you could say I was pretty JOY-full when I found this set at EB games, that is of course after the ANGER had subsided from the announcement that they cancelled the Infinity line.

Seriously though, great set from an awesome movie.

Pros: Nice sculpt and poses

Cons: Expensive and part of a cancelled series.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #142
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends: The Vision

Not really sure how, but I messed up on my numbering and totally passed over Vision. I picked him up prior to even deciding to get the entire Hulkbuster wave as I had always liked the character from the comics. Yes, I preferred the all white version from the nineties, but with an amazing raised, rose coloured, foil cover, like from Avengers 360, how could I not? For the most part I like the look of this figure, but it would have been nice to incorporate a large collar on his cape.

I was inspired by his cybernetic body for the stand I created. Colours could match better, but I like how it turned out.

Overall, nice looking figure with a solid paint scheme. Nice that a cape was included, but still missing old school look of the oversized collar

Pros: Nice look and metallic paint job.

Cons: Old school, oversized collar would have been a cool touch.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #143
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

102 & 103
Disney Infinity- Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano

When the Disney Infinity 3.0 was first announced I was pretty excited at the thought of introducing Star Wars to the mix, but was also a bit surprised when they launched the starter pack with Anakin and Ahsoka. It’s not that these are poor choices, given their popularty from Clone Wars, it’s just that outside the “cartoon demograpic” there would be only a handfull of casual fans who would know Ahsoka is and/or even like the prequel version of Anakin. I suppose this game is ultimately geared towards kids, but there are a good portion of fans who may have been more excited to jump on board if they pushed a classic Star Wars starter set in favour of these two. In any case, I am particularly fond of Ahsoka and have really appreciated her story unfold over the years, since that dreadful first Clone Wars movie, all the way to her amazing apperiance in Rebels and Anakin looks good too.

Pros: Nice pose and sculpting

Cons: Expensive and part of a cancelled series.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 AM   #144
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron- Onslaught

Did you know that there is such a thing called Gestalt Theory that basically states that a combined form is greater then the sum of its parts? Not sure why this is so surprising as it makes total sense, but it also gives me hope on the combined form of Bruticus as Onslaught kinda sucks. I do appreciate that there was an effort to bring in a Gestalt based on the Fall of Cybertron game, but i'm really hoping that the rest of the crew is better.

Pros: It's a combiner

Cons: Weak vehicle mode, odd arms in robot mode.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:16 AM   #145
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Combiner Wars: Blastoff

For the record this is not my first Combiner War figure, but rather the first one I decided to open. For that reason I'm not really sure who Blastoff is a repaint of? But I'm certain that this is not the first iteration of the mould. That said, based on the idea that the G1 version of Blastoff is a Space Shuttle, this guy is a complete zero. Yes the mould is good for a fighter jet, but it's unfortunate that Hasbro decided to cheap out with another repaint and its extremely frustrating when you consider that Tarkara actually released a G1 accurate version. I'm sure Blast Off makes a decent Arialbot, but he's no combaticon.

Pros: Nice paint scheme

Cons: Repaint of a fighter jet when he could have easily been a space shuttle.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #146
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends- Ben Riley Spiderman

Kudos to Hasbro for such an ingenious re-paint/repurpose. I was certainly aware of who Ben Rielly is, but I didn't know that he had his own unique Spider Costume or became infected by the Carnage symbiote. Providing hands and a head from the previous Carnage figure, along with hands of Spiderman is really a great example of how to do a line filler repaint, Very cool!

Pros: Excellent repaint as a line-filler

Cons: None

Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 AM   #147
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Marvel Legends- Venom

3rd time that Venom has been reviewed so far; he's probably tied with Batman at this point. This version of Venom is pretty dear to me as this is how I remember him; Eddie Brock with muscles in the black Spider-Man suit. No crazy proportions, no crazy black slime or crazy tooth filled smile and tongue; seriously almost perfect. I like that he comes with an alternate head and different hands, but some type of webbing accessory would go a long way with these "spider" figures.

I'm not sure that we will ever get an old school version of Venom in the comics again, so it's certainly nice to have this in the collection.

Pros: Old school look, great head sculpts

Cons: None.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:29 AM   #148
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron: Blast Off

Well, at least he is a space ship. I actually like the design of his robot mode as it looks very "Cybertrony"; a plus considering that Fall of Cybertron takes place pre-earth. His robot mode is decent, but like Onslaught, he has these odd arm joints that only provide diagonal movement. Probably needed for the combined ode, but again, on it's own does not help the figure whatsoever. I do really appreciate his due blasters, and think they look great as added wings when attached in vehicle mode.

Pros: Due blasters, Nice vehicle mode.

Cons: Odd arm articulation.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #149
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Transformers- Combiner Wars: Vortex

As far as repaints go, Vortex just kinda works. It helps that he's a helicopter though; I doubt I’ll be saying the same thing when I review the Aerialbots, but I digress; It's a nice mould that features a great vehicle mode, a decent Robot mode and good articulation. One minor issue is the bulk of stuff on his back, including his blades can get in the way a bit while in robot mode.

Overall a good figure for your CW Bruticus,

Pros: Helicopter with added military details, nice articulation.

Cons: 3rd repaint, backpack of junk.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:34 PM   #150
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Disney Vinylmation- Movieland Series No.1: 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Oooooohhh! New Vinylmation? For those keeping score, that means that I went to a Disney park; this time it was Disneyland in California. As mentioned previously the Vinylmation line seem to be dropping in popularity so I was happy when I found a new set that is not simply available at my local Disney Store. This line is based on some of the classic live action Disney movies like the Rocketeer (my first pick), The Shaggy Dog (my last pick) and a few in between that I was fine with. In true vacation tradition my son picked the box and opened it (after I payed for it of course) and I ended up with the diver from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which honestly looks super cool; probably my 2nd or 3rd choice. I have not see the movie, but I understand the appeal, especially considering it’s not only a classic old school Jules Verne movie, but there is some Disney Park history as well.

Everything is pretty standard except for his head that is made to look like a diving helmet; pretty cool!

Pros: Nice little details and touches to the source material

Cons: Decidedly not the Rocketeer…