ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 12-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #431
Napseeker
Dark Knight
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Ah that's a good point... I forgot the SA 3.75" would only be available through Walmart. Thanks!
Napseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 01:16 PM   #432
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
I have a feeling that WM bought the older $10 figures in from Hasbro Canada at a big discount specifically as a Black Friday promotion. I have seen it happen before. Hasbro Canada will bring a wave into the country, usually one of the later waves of the year, but because retailers are still clogged with pegwarmers, none of them put in orders. Then the line gets refreshed to next years packaging style, and HasCan gets stuck with the old stock in their warehouse. So they offer it to retailers at a big discount in order to get rid of them.
It's such a shame then they didn't get in the Bosssk wave too so we could get those at a discount. I said back when Hasbro were first showing off pics of the prototype 6" Greedo that they were CRAZY to put Greedo into the mix so soon, he was a pegwarmer during the VotC era and I had no doubt that he was going to pegwarm again... and sure enough, there's like 10 or 11 of him sitting at my TRU (whereas every other 6" figure has now sold off given the new $10 pricepoint). Greedo and the (unexpected, IMO) failure of Slave Leia, really tanked this line badly and caused us to miss out on future waves (well, unless you were lucky enough to snatch them up during Black Friday).

I got a bit nervous when I saw the 6" Zuvio in the line, but this time Hasbro seems to have kept his presence in the 6" line to a minimum. Whew.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #433
turtle power eh
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napseeker View Post
It's such a shame then they didn't get in the Bosssk wave too so we could get those at a discount. I said back when Hasbro were first showing off pics of the prototype 6" Greedo that they were CRAZY to put Greedo into the mix so soon, he was a pegwarmer during the VotC era and I had no doubt that he was going to pegwarm again... and sure enough, there's like 10 or 11 of him sitting at my TRU (whereas every other 6" figure has now sold off given the new $10 pricepoint). Greedo and the (unexpected, IMO) failure of Slave Leia, really tanked this line badly and caused us to miss out on future waves (well, unless you were lucky enough to snatch them up during Black Friday).

I got a bit nervous when I saw the 6" Zuvio in the line, but this time Hasbro seems to have kept his presence in the 6" line to a minimum. Whew.
Greedo and Leia absolutely killed the 6" black series at big box retial for a long time in Canada, and given that was only the 2nd wave it absolutely screwed us over for future waves. No one was ordering new cases when they had so many of those 2 figures warming pegs. Seems like Target was the only store that was steadily getting in the 3rd wave and since then BS 6" hasnt really seen much distro until recently.
turtle power eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #434
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon

Quote:
Here's a dumb question, but are those Amazon.ca links to 6" or SA 3.75" figures? Stupid, stupid Hasbro putting both scales in the same packaging and calling them both Black series, I can't honestly tell if these are 6 or 4 inchers. There's no price and nothing in the item's title...
The product dimensions listed seem consistent with current 6" Black Series packaging.

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #435
darthcyanide
Red Shirt

Damn I went down to check out the Star Wars Force Awakens Toronto Exhibit today, and I miss out on the Tie Pilot and Resistance Trooper on amazon. Ah well.

I did receive the last of my exclusives in the mail though. Got the Shock Trooper, the Poe/Riot Trooper pack, the Walgreens Vader, and the Imperial Forces 4 pack today.

I already had the Snowtrooper, the Stormtrooper 4 pack, and the Kylo Ren Starkiller.

Now all I need is that damn Phasma and I will be good to go.

Question for those who got the two wave 3 figures ordered from Amazon.ca - Were they 24.99? And are they shipping right away or not till a later date?
darthcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #436
wedge1021
Mutant

That TRU exclusive Han & Greedo deluxe set didn't help much either!

I would have liked to see Hasbro do the first 2 waves as:
1 - X-Wing Luke, R2-D2, Vader, Stormtrooper
2 - Boba Fett, Han Solo, Darth Maul, Yoda
Release them within a month of each other, and add a fill-in revision case another month later repacking:
Vader, Stormtrooper, Boba Fett, Yoda

This would have satisfied pretty much everyone, and kept what I think would have been the more in-demand of the 8 figures more abundant. It would have really helped to establish the line - they really had to convince some long-time 4" collectors to make the switch, and blowing them out of the water with all-time favourites would have done a better job at that than some of the figures they went with. Once collectors are board with the format, then is the time to introduce some of the lesser known and more niche characters.

Last edited by wedge1021; 12-08-2015 at 05:22 PM.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #437
Napseeker
Dark Knight

Yeah it's AMAZING that they didn't understand Boba Fett's appeal and should've triple-packed him (at least they did that with Phasma this time, not that it made it any easier to actually get her).

Vader I could understand they probably wanted to take more time to get him right (and yet... lol, they still churned out a rather bad figure). Stormtrooper definitely should've been in wave1, that again also should've been 2x or 3x in the case to meet demand.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #438
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Yeah it's AMAZING that they didn't understand Boba Fett's appeal and should've triple-packed him (at least they did that with Phasma this time, not that it made it any easier to actually get her).

Vader I could understand they probably wanted to take more time to get him right (and yet... lol, they still churned out a rather bad figure). Stormtrooper definitely should've been in wave1, that again also should've been 2x or 3x in the case to meet demand.
Is Phasma 3 per case? This JTA article notes otherwise: http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/co...icle&sid=16820
They list Phasma at 1-per in wave 2 and then again at 1-per in wave 5. But maybe the case assortments for Canada are different? I have no clue as I'm not collecting TFA stuff so haven't paid any attention. Never seen a 6" Phasma in the wild.

It helps that they went to 6 per case now, allowing more repacks to filter in as well as a few double-packed figures (though not many).
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #439
SanMiguel
Agent of Shield
SanMiguel's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
They were only old black series stock. In the black box with blue and orange stripe
Thanks I thought Hasbro suddenly re issued them for Walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
Yeah luck is the key. My best find at Winners was a 6" Slave Leia for $3!!!!! The box was not great, but for $3 it was still a steal.
Darn, I thought my $10 Slave Leia from Walmart was the bomb.Thou its still a nice catch but kudos for the $3 find, no one can beat that deal!
SanMiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #440
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Over on yakface.com a guy going by seamusgameus posted a pic from Facebook of him finding wave 3 of TFA figures (6 inch) at a local Walmart in the GTA. The pic only shows the Tie Pilot and Resistance Fighter.

Apparently he says he is about an hour outside Toronto, so who knows where exactly he is located.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote