ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #1461
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #1462
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

872-2
McFarlane Toys- DC Multiverse: Batman

Ok, so I ripped into Hasbro a bit on my last review for once again being very lazy with their presentation of a rather unknown version of the Spider-Man character, so it would only be fair to do the same thing to McFarlane. I mean sure, this is Batman, but why is he in a straight jacket? Why is there a W on his chest? And for goodness sake, WHY is Joker's head in fishbowl? Well a bit of research shows (Spoilers I guess) that he, along with the rest of this wave are from the Last Knight on Earth mini-series where this particular Batman is a clone, raised by Alfred to take on the real Bruce Wayne who has basically destroyed Gotham for reasons unknown to me at this moment. Super cool right? I suppose what makes this Batman toy better than the Cosmic Spider-Man that I was complaining about is that this figure is completely unique and one of a kind to anything else that was produced before and is not just a basic repainted and overused mold. Anyways, enough with the comparisons and complaining. McFarlane produced a figure that was unknown, but well worth the price such that I’m happy to have it in my collection while also making the extra cost for the BAF piece worthwhile.

Pros: Amazing sculpt with a lot of detail, a cool inclusion of Joker's head in the jar, a decent amount of articulation that allows for some good poses and even a little billy club that can be stored on his belt.

Cons: No issues with the figures, but if McFarlane is going to produce figures from a small comic mini series a bit more context of the character might be nice.

Old 01-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #1463
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-27
Diamond Select- The Muppets: Gonzo and Fozzie

I friggin love Wikipedia. Odd start I know, but on a whim I clicked on the article for Gonzo and learned a bunch of new stuff and was reminded about lots that I forgot. But before I go down that rabbit hole, I will say that this two pack contains my two favorite Muppets in Fozzie Bear and Gonzo. I love Fozzie for being the most earnest guy, or bear, in the Muppets and someone that we can all relate to a bit. He?s constantly trying and while his jokes don?t always land, his antics always can make someone smile. Now my love of Gonzo comes from both their weirdness and the fact that I had a stuffed animal version of them as a kid that featured them in their Great Gonzo get up. I?m sure I still have them somewhere and I bet their nose is still smushed on the end where I used to chew on it.

But enough about that; on to Wikipedia facts that I thought were interesting:

Gonzo is classified as a ?whatever?. As in Kermit is a Frog, Fozzie is a bear and Gonzo is a whatever. Now there was a Muppets in Space movie that featured Gonzo?s alien family coming back for them and I can?t recall if they said they were known canonically as ?Whatevers?? or if it was just an Earth name for them. Either way I love that it was a running joke through The Muppets history.
Gonzo is in a relationship with Camilla the Chicken.
Gonzo is considered to be non-binary. Seriously. In one instance (back in 1984) they opt for a ?whatever? bathroom after passing both a Male and Female option and in another more recent example they put on a glass slipper and transformed into Gonzorella (Cinderella) noted that they did not want to conform to typical gender norms. I?m not really sure how FOX News has not picked up on this yet, but I?m sure it is just a matter of time.

Pros: My favorite Muppets in one 2-pack; how very lucky. And this set does not disappoint. Both Fozzie and Gonzo have great sculpts with lots of Muppet details, a good amount of usable articulation that you would expect from Diamond and a lot of cool accessories that seem to be building an entire Muppet Show set piece.

Cons: I?m not sure why a random horn included and I wish that Fozzie?s hat stayed on a bit better.

Old 01-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #1464
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-15-2023, 03:06 AM   #1465
DanM
Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post

Cons: I?m not sure why a random horn included and I wish that Fozzie?s hat stayed on a bit better.
Isn't the horn the one Gonzo plays (to various effects) after the theme song to open the show?
DanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #1466
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanM View Post
Isn't the horn the one Gonzo plays (to various effects) after the theme song to open the show?
Holy crap you are right. Apparently your memory is way better than mine!
Old 01-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #1467
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

S-28
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Galen Erso

Sometimes I buy a figure because I really love the character, but sometimes I buy a figure because I enjoy the piece of pop culture that it was based on and sometimes I?ll buy a figure because the toy itself looks really cool. However sometimes, just sometimes you need to add something that is heavily discounted to your cart to get free shipping. I mean, why else would I pick this guy up? On the surface he looks like a super boring figure, even by Imperial Officer standards, but here?s the thing: this figure actually rocks. I?m not even kidding, for what Hasbro missed in play value, they made up for it in crafting an amazing piece. Now I?m not saying that it?s a must buy, but if you need free shipping and the price is right, you can feel pretty good about adding him to your collection.

Pros: Galen Erso is a surprisingly great figure. He has a fantastically detailed sculpt and an extremely fun amount of articulation that allows for some solid poses. Now, I concede that he is a new figure and many figures before may share this articulation scheme, but I was still pretty impressed with how much movement this ?boring? character has.

Cons: Even if it was just an officer's pistol, I think a weapon of some sort would have elevated this figure in a big way. Unfortunately though he only comes with some type of data pad? cause all the kids love data pads right?

Old 01-15-2023, 10:49 PM   #1468
Robimus
Super Moderator

Galen Erso, ranked as one of the 10 most boring action figures of all time on some list, somewhere.

Well, he must be on thst list

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:29 PM   #1469
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Galen Erso, ranked as one of the 10 most boring action figures of all time on some list, somewhere.

Well, he must be on thst list
That?s what I was thinking, but I was pleasantly surprised with how good he was. Call it low expectations, but if he had some type of blaster I?d put him up there with one of my favs. So strange to say that too.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:30 PM   #1470
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

873-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Cobra Trooper

What are some goggles and a red arm band worth? Well, to a lot of G.I. Joe enthusiasts? Quite a bit. See for the unaware Hasbro decided to hedge the risks of releasing a new G.I. Joe series by sharing the costs of tooling with a major retailer (Target) and in return the retailer would get a handful of store exclusives early on in the run of the toy line. Exclusives are nothing new in the toy game, but they were typically reserved for repaints or one-offs that complimented, but never typically included as part of the mainline. The frustrations of collectors was palatable to say the least given that Target has a bad reputation for distribution and that people outside of the States were going to get screwed in typical fashion which led to many trying to figure out what the big deal was. I mean, yes this was the first Cobra trooper of likely many (the Infantry figure was announced soon after) and he did look cool, but did a set of goggles, a rifle and a red arm band REALLY make this figure a MUST HAVE? Of course it did? Are you crazy.; We are crazy toy collectors. Thankfully for me I didn?t have to go to any aftermarket sources and found this guy in stock at Toys R Us, but I would have easily pulled the trigger on a eBay auction if needed.

Pros: Hasbro is REALLY killing it with this Classified Series and I am consistently impressed with each figure I open up. Everything from the sculpt, the articulation and the accessories is fantastic and I?m so happy to have it in my collection.

Cons: Two minor issues: I would have liked him to be able to hold his rifle and aim across his body a bit better, but the vest gets in the way and I?m very worried about his goggles stretching and snapping. Also, the exclusive nature of the figure sucks so bad.