ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #1211
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

746-2
Hasbro- Transformers R.E.D.: Bumblebee

I read a rather funny post on one of the many Transformers Fan Facebook groups that I am a part of. The basic gist was given that Bumblebee is the current brand ambassador for the Transformers, why was he shut out of Beast Wars, Beast Machines and the Unicron Trilogy. I suppose this is a fair question given that BB is quite literally everywhere these days, but its funny given that a question like this could really only be asked by a newer fan given that us old fans remember a time when Bumblebee was A) a supporting character or B) not even part of the series. I mean sure, Beast Wars had their own version of Bumblebee in Cheetor and the Unicron Trilogy had Hot Shot, but these are both unique characters and actually had some decent character development over the course of their series. I think I?ve made mention of this in previous reviews, but I?m really getting bored with Hasbro?s direction for the Transformers and Bumblebee is a perfect example of the issue. I get that he?s appealing to kids, the target demographic, but he was never intended to be the main character or have the series revolve around his story. That said, it seems that they are pulling back a bit with the recent Netflix series and ?beast? based movie forthcoming.

Pros: A Transformer that doesn?t Transform should be a non-starter, but what can I say, I love action figures and that?s what these guys are. A good solid sculpt that matches the G1 model, a good amount of articulation that allows for a nice amount of poseability, a few extra hands, a blaster and two different blast effects.

Cons: I suppose this could be considered a PRO, but I also find it perplexing. The design includes a removable chest panel (the top of the vehicle) and the only reason why that I can see is to allow space for the ab crunch. Again, this is good to allow for the added poseability, but bad as the panel is floating and only attaches with a small peg. Also, the hands are somewhat loose in the arm.

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #1212
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Detachable Chest
Old 01-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #1213
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

747-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Red Ninja.

Anyone else think that it?s weird that a random character like the Red Ninja was the 3rd Cobra release in the Classified line? Sure, Destro and Cobra Commander should be first and second respectively, but when you think of Cobra what comes to mind. Soldiers? Vipers? Storm Shadow? Not that I?m complaining as I love me a ninja regardless of colour, but just find Hasbro?s choices for distribution extremely confusing. That said, as of this writing there is some news hopefully coming down the pike for Classified from Pulse Con and I REALLY hope it includes a long list of all my favorite characters and NO exclusives.

Pros: The Red Ninja is great, and I could not have asked for a better-looking figure that has an amazing arsenal or weapons with space to hold most of it and a solid amount of articulation that makes it super fun to pose. These Classified figures continue to blow me away and I really hope Hasbro has some long-term plans.

Cons: Unfortunately, my version has a really loose hip joint so it can be a bit fiddly which is, and has historically been, a huge pet peeve of mine.

Old 01-06-2022, 01:37 AM   #1214
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

DC MULTIVERSE Batman Beyond
https://youtu.be/Uj4o9IHshqQ
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #1215
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

748-2
DC Collectables- The New Batman Adventures: Fire Suit Batman

If you were a fan of Batman and a collector of the Batman the Animated Series action figure line released by Kenner in the 90?s you know that Batman has a WIDE selection of ?bat? suits for any occasion. It makes sense as they need to sell more toys and there is only so many heroes and villains you can make before innovation is required hence Bat-MEN for all occasions! Check it out for yourself:

Batman YTB - Fansite For Batman Comics, Toys, Figures, News and more!

Turbojet Batman
Knightstar Batman
Lightning Strike Batman
Anti-Freeze Batman
Ground Assault Batman
And maybe my personal favorite:
Radar Scope Batman.

And these are just the tip of the Iceberg given EVERY MOVIE and COMIC series had multiple different versions of Batman; it's actually fairly spectacular.

Pros: Kudos to DC Collectables for releasing two figures from the same episode and it?s very cool to see a ?new? version of Batman that was featured in the show. Outside of that, the sculpt is neat and I like his anti-heat gun.

Cons: Somewhere along the way DC Collectables forgot the action in their action figures and this is a far cry from the initial Batman release all those years ago: Limited articulation, one accessory (gun) and NO place to store it.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #1216
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

MARVEL LEGENDS WALMART EXCLUSIVE
John F. Walker (Captain America)
https://youtu.be/U96dLafRVnQ
Old 01-07-2022, 02:43 PM   #1217
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

DC MULTIVERSE
Justice League Unmasked Batman
https://youtu.be/B8Vpzbx4hzA
Old 01-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #1218
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

749-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Shocker

Rivalled only by the X-Men, I feel like Spiderman really had some of the best rouge?s gallery of villains. Perhaps this has more to do with the fact that I am just more familiar with them given the multiple cartoon iteration that I grew up with, but the point still stands most are actually pretty great. That said, some are not so great and I think Shocker might be a part of that crew. First off the name hasn?t held up all that well (if you, you know), the ?powers? are kind of lame and that suit is something else. I suppose it?s important for Spiderman to have some easy guys to web up and I appreciated that he was featured in the first MCU Spiderman movie, but I?m glad he was not the main bad.

I also want to include probably the craziest moment in 90?s cartoon history where Spiderman promises to chase down The Shocker in The Animated Series. Again, if you?ve seen this, you know how crazy it really is.

https://youtu.be/TWRjsqoSWTI

Pure art if you ask 14 year old me.

Pros: Surprisingly enough, Shocker is a pretty great figure. I?m particularly impressed with character extras on both the forearms and knees. Articulation is great that allows for a good amount of poses and I appreciate the included blast effects.

Cons: Outside of the extra details, the mold is a pretty standard repaint. Also, what part of SCHOCKER screams bubbly magic effects?

Old 01-10-2022, 04:19 AM   #1219
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

MARVEL LEGENDS NO WAY HOME
J Johan Jameson

https://youtu.be/m6IPCMfcMfM
Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #1220
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

750-2
Hasbro- Transformers Generations: Tankor

I love Beast Machines and while it hasn?t held up particularly well, I will give it credit for getting me back into Transformers. I mean, I assume that after seeing RID, I would eventually find my way given that it was the ?Machines? part of the show that did it for me and it has basically been ?machines? ever since, but I?m glad that I got into it when I did because it lead me to its predecessor, a series that I ineptly passed on because I was stupid, Beast Wars. That said, there were some high points. Firstly: it was different and seeing how everything is now the same (ie. Red Truck vs. Grey Tank) it was an early breath of fresh air. Secondly: I liked the characters and loved both their unique look and thirdly: I loved their mature characterizations. We saw character development from Cheetor, self doubt from Optimus, PTSD from Silverbolt and a crisis of conscience from Tankor, who was Rynox: pretty cool stuff.

Pros: Being a major Beast Machines fan I was extremely excited at the opportunity to pick up a much needed update of Tankor so full disclosure I?m not going to be very impartial. I loved the overall look and design of Tankor and appreciate that they captured the Beast Machines Aesthetic. Articulation works well enough and the transformation is simple, yet fun.

Cons: So here?s the thing: Hasbro had a great opportunity to make an incredible figure and if I?m being honest they kind of dropped the ball. There are a lot of good things, but it also feels extremely basic.