ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 01-10-2022, 07:27 PM   #1221
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:20 AM   #1222
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

MARVEL LEGENDS - SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME
DOCTOR STRANGE
https://youtu.be/VxbmJI_asCU
WhenGeeksCollide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:38 PM   #1223
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

NECA ULTIMATE GHOST FACE
https://youtu.be/vlfc_Ch7LxE
Old 01-12-2022, 02:46 PM   #1224
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

MARVEL LEGENDS RETRO CARDED SPIDER-MAN 2099
https://youtu.be/_GYA_-X6hSw
Old 01-12-2022, 04:01 PM   #1225
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

751-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Ello Asty

I?m sure this is common knowledge at this point, but did you know that Ello Asty?s name was derived from the famous Hip-Hop Group The Beastie Boys? album Hello Nasty? Apparently JJ Abrams is a massive Beastie fan and likes to include little nods to them in his films. My first knowledge of this comes from the Star Trek reboot that he directed where Sabotage played over the opening scene, with the two sequels having Beastie Boy ?oldies? included in other scenes of there own. Given that Star Wars doesn?t include contemporary music, I guess someone was being clever to hid this Beastie Boy reference into this Rebel pilot?s name with an inscription, presumably written in Aurebash ?Born To Ill? on his helmet. Now it WAS my understanding that all members of the species had a similar Beastie Boys name reference, but I?m not certain that this is still the case after reading more about it.

And while I?m a big Beastie Boys fan, I?m not sure how I feel about this inclusion. I mean, it?s a silly name for a background character that doesn?t survive until the end of the movie, but I also don?t love the cutesy wink to include something that isn?t Star Wars related and seems a bit narcissistic for JJ to include. I suppose there are much bigger issues in the Star Wars universe and this pales in comparison, so I?ll just put it out of my mind, but I just hope that it doesn?t become a normalized thing.

Pros: Now I didn?t bother with a side by side comparison with Poe, but I have to assume that the basic figure is the same with some minimal sculpt changes and obviously a new head sculpt and helmet. That said, Asty feels like a huge improvement given that the Poe figure was just all around terrible. Plus, I like weird aliens and different pilots so that?s a plus.

Cons: While this is not a slight against the figure per se, I?m not sure that I buy that Asty is basically a normal humanoid with just a real messed up horse face. I suppose this is really just a cheap way for Hasbro to repurpose a mold, but is it bad that I want a bit more originality with my Star Wars aliens?

Old 01-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #1226
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

752-2
Bandai ? Tamashii Nations: Movie Realization Star Wars: Darth Maul

Long time readers will recall that I?ve dabbled into the world of Movie Realization before, but it has been a long time since I picked up any of these high end collectables. Lucky for me, a fellow fan was selling off his collection and Darth Maul was available for pick up. As I mentioned, I had pumped the brakes on this line some time ago for a few reasons with the biggest being cost. These are not cheap and it is hard to rationalize one Realization figure for the cost of four Black Series figures. I mean, they are quality figures, but it IS still just plastic. My other reasons boiled down to style. Don?t get me wrong, I like most of the figures released to date, but the Drumming Storm Trooper and ridiculous looking C3PO were not my style. Plus it looked like they were focusing on Marvel characters that honestly just did not do it for me. That said, I LOVED the overall look of Darth Maul and while he doesn?t really fit in with the Samurai style of the other characters, the demonic look just fits the character so well that I had to make an exception to current collecting habits. Time will tell if they make another character cheap and cool enough for me to pick up, but that new Mando with Grogu is fairly tempting.

Pros: From top to bottom Movie Realization Darth Maul is stunning and really reflects the quality that is put into these figures. I mean, just look at that head sculpt: really amazingly detailed and kind of nightmarish if I?m being honest. Articulation is good, but takes some getting used to for posing with all the unique parts and panels and I appreciate the spare hands and LOVE the double ended lightsaber.

Cons: I alluded to it in the ?PROS? but articulation and poseability can be a bit finicky, but that is consistent throughout the line. He also feels fragile, but that could just be my personal issues in handling certain collectables.

Old 01-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #1227
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 01-17-2022, 06:27 PM   #1228
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

McFarlane Batman 66 Figures
https://youtu.be/ri00lMsGiGw
Old 01-19-2022, 12:56 PM   #1229
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

753-2
Mattel- Masters of the Universe Origins: Battle Cat

Ever since I can recall I have always loved the inclusion of animal sidekicks with my action figures. Generally speaking GI Joe was the toy line most known for it, with Snake Eyes and Timber being maybe the most popular, but there were a bunch of others that I loved too. There is just something really cool about a person and their animal companion fighting bad OR good guys. One of probably most iconic, outside of GI Joe, in 80’s cartoons pairings would be He-Man and Battle Cat and unlike most of those other pairings, Battle Cat has a real personality. Sure, most of the time it is as the overly freighted, scared cat: Cringer, but still a very cool and extremely powerful steed for He-Man as Battle Cat.

Pros: A nice updated version of previously static figure from the original series, Battle Cat has a nice all around sculpt, a decent amount of articulation, removable armour and He-Man looks great on the saddle. I also like that they gave him a movable jaw.

Cons: While I know it’s asking a lot for an updated retro figure, ball jointed hip joints would give him a lot more poseability. Also, and I’m not sure how this would be done, it would have been cool if out of the armor Battle Bat looked a bit more like Cringer.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:54 PM   #1230
WhenGeeksCollide
Cobra Trooper

TMNT Vs Cobra Kai 2-Packs
https://youtu.be/MozQRlKJjAI