ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-24-2021, 03:35 PM   #1011
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 07:28 PM   #1012
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

610-2
Disney Toybox- Star Wars: General Grievous.

This truly was a welcome surprise as I never thought in a million years that ToyBox would produce a figure like Grievous. Not because he is a Jedi killer, as these Toybox figures have never really shied away from producing more brutal characters, but because I would have thought their preference would have been to stick to sequel based figures, or ones that were featured on the Mandalorian/Clone Wars cartoon for synergy. Lucky for us they must have looked past it and gave us a really cool toy.

Pros: Lots to love on this now scarce figure including an Infinity style sculpt on one of the more unique looking Star Wars characters, a decent amount of articulation and moving parts to emulate the robotic body and four different hilted lightsabers that can be held in each of his bi-furcate arms.

Cons: As with every other unique Star Wars figure, General Grievous is a bit difficult to pose in a way that looks cool. Outside of that, he’s a phenomenal Toybox figure and I’m extremely glad that I was able to pick him up.

Old 06-28-2021, 01:03 PM   #1013
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

611-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Wonder Man

True story, I went through a Wonder Man phase in my comic collecting days. I can’t recall too much about it, but it was during the heyday of 90’s comic goodness and I was looking for a new book to collect. Back in those days I would be easily swayed by a first issue as an easy way into something new and exciting, however it was never really the case given that these titles were always short lived and never really that good. Looking back I should have been more selective like my brother given that he bet on some very long running titles (some that are still going to this day) and ultimately had better characters, but what can I say, I was an easily impressionable consumer.

Pros: Overall they captured Wonder Man very well, proving a solid design, a really great head sculpt and included more extras than I’m used to: spare set of translucent fists and some generic energy effects.

Cons: I got nothing; this is a solid all-around figure.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #1014
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

612-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Studio Series: Bonecrusher

Oh my word, I am such a sucker for these Studio Series figures; especially the ones from the first live action Transformers movies as they really hit from a nostalgic point of view. I mean, it came out 14 years ago and so much has changed for the brand and let’s face it, not really for the better. Sure if you love constant barrage of Optimus = Red truck and Megatron = Silver tank then I’m sure you really enjoyed the last 14 years given that’s all we have got, but even back then I was ready for something else, but alias, Hasbro isn’t in the business of taking chances anymore.

Pros: Much like the other Decepticons in the live action movies, Bonecrusher has an extremely unique looking robot mode that the designers were able to capture. This is quite the feat considering that I’m not sure that the character modes were originally designed with realism in transformation from robot to vehicle in mind. The transformation is fairly complex, as is the case with these Studio Series figures, but I was able to manage without Youtube assistance. Vehicle mode is solid and does a decent job in hiding the robot parts.

Cons: Overall bone crusher is a bit difficult to get decently posed, but I attribute that to the unique design. Also, I feel like he should be a bit larger given to scale better in vehicle mode with the other studio series figures.

Old 06-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #1015
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

613-2
Hasbro- G.I. Joe Classified: Duke.

Here’s a hot take that I’m sure that I shared before: I’ve never liked Duke and do not feel that he is on the same level as Optimus Prime, Matt Tracker or He-Man in terms of the various 80’s cartoon good guy leaders. I mean, he’s not even the top ranking member on the Joe team, but perhaps worse in my mind: he’s just an extremely boring character with blond hair, blue eyes and overall a generic look. Over time they have even worked to update the character in the movies and cartoon series, but to no avail for me anyways; there are just way better characters in the Joe lore that I’d rather see in action.

Pros: Despite my relative apathetic view on the character, Duke is another fantastic G.I. Joe Classified figure that I’m happy to have in my collection. Solid overall sculpt with lots of detail, exceptional articulation throughout, nice weapon selection with the ability to hold them all at one time and even an old school backpack that can be pegged into his back.

Cons: While not really a con per-se, Duke’s head sculpt looks EXACTLY like a guy I work with. Like it's seriously freaky. Outside of that I know that other collectors hate all the unnecessary details on his suit, but it doesn’t matter to me as I really do not view these as legit military figures.

Old 07-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #1016
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

614-2
DC Collectables- Batman: The Animated Series: Zatanna

So here is a fun fact: Zatanna was the first non Batman related Justice League member that appeared in the Timm verse DC Animated series. That said, she didn’t have the same magical powers that she is known for, but it still counts as an appearance. I suspect this early entry into the Animated Universe was the brainchild of series writer Paul Dini, whose affinity for the character can be seen in his personal life given that he married a real life magician who bears a striking resemblance to Zatanna.

Pros: Zatanna continues the trend of these Animated figures having really fantastic looking sculpts, however….

Cons: Everything else on her is completely lackluster. Overall the figure is tiny and really does not justify the price, she’s completely unstable with heels and no ankle articulation and only comes with a small assortment of extra hands that are meh, a cane that she can’t hold very well and a cardboard paper event poster. I’m not sure what else they could have included, but this is just poor value all around.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:22 PM   #1017
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

615-2
Hasbro- Marvel Legends: Spider-UK

I was all set to complain about once again not knowing who this character is, but turns out after a quick reminder, that I actually know exactly who this guy is as I read the entire Spider-verse mini-series. It’s not really difficult to piece his backstory together, but the coles notes include that he is the Spider-Man from a different universe who is also part of the Captain Britain Corps, who in their own right exist to protect other universes from other dimensional threats. And while I think it is cool that they included Spider-UK in Marvel Legends form given that he was one of the main characters of the mini-series, I really wish they would have picked one of the more unique characters that didn’t amount to a basic repaint.

Pros: Well, Spider-UK is another Spider for all the Spider-verse fans with an appropriate sized sculpt, a good amount of articulation and a nice character specific paint job.

Cons: Laziness, thy name is Hasbro. Let’s call this what it is: a lackluster line filler with the least amount of effort to count as a release. No spare hands, no different head sculpt, no web effects, nothing. I suppose if you are a fan of the character this is a win, but most people, like myself, the BAF piece is the real prize.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #1018
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

616-2
Hasbro- Transformers- Generations: Mini-Con Assault Team: Heavytread, Windshear & Runway.

I have always loved small Transformers, especially ones that are not just scaled down versions of bigger characters so when the MiniCons were first announced way back during Armada, I was excited to see what they would come up with and for the most part they were all really fun having all the benefits of the combination gimmick of the headmaster/targetmaster/powermasters and the team aspects of the MicroMasters. Infact, some of my favorite Mini0cons are the combining teams which is why this release was such a great addition to the Generations line up.

Pros: There is a lot of engineering and care that went into this set and I have to commend the designers for a job well done. Firstly there are 3 unique figures that each resemble a small vehicle mode, secondly each of those figures transform into a workable robot mode with some articulation and an included weapon, lastly, each figure transforms into a third combiner mode that connects into a fully articulated deluxe figure. I mean, this is genius level engineering all for the kids toy.

Cons: Not trying to nitpick an ambitious toy, but some of the robot modes are a bit meh and the combined figure is fairly limited in pose-ability and movement.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #1019
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Old 07-06-2021, 12:51 PM   #1020
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

617-2
Hasbro- Star Wars Black Series: Jawa

So here’s a fun thought: without the Jawa’s, the events of EP 4,5,6 as well as 7,8,9 do not happen. Think about it. If they did not pick up R2-D2 and C-3P0 in the desert they would have never found their way to Luke’s and Obi-Wan and certainly would have not have provided the Rebels the Death Star plans. Infact, if they were not captured when they were, the Storm Troopers would have most certainly found them roaming about thereby crushing the rebellion soon after. Perhaps that is why Obi-Wan and the droids show respect by burning their bodies after the Storm Troopers killed them all? Hard to say, but perhaps they are due a bit more credit for their small, but important part, of taking down the empire.

Pros: Overall I really like this look of this little guy. He has a decent sculpt and a decent amount of usable, upper body articulation. I also appreciate them including two different weapons.

Cons: As is typical at this point, the lower body artication is useless given the hard plastic skirt. Also, I’m not sure that this figure should cost the same as a typical black series figure.