ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure Collections Spotlight

Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #31
Major Destruction
Super Friend
Re: My collection

Wow, those old catalog shots are awesome. They bring back so many memories. Thanks Cobralegion.
I remember when Zellers was near the end, and Target was coming to Canada, I had such high hopes for Target. But so far, looking back now, I think you're right that Zellers was better. C'mon Target, prove me wrong.
Major Destruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #32
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Destruction View Post
Wow, those old catalog shots are awesome. They bring back so many memories. Thanks Cobralegion.
I remember when Zellers was near the end, and Target was coming to Canada, I had such high hopes for Target. But so far, looking back now, I think you're right that Zellers was better. C'mon Target, prove me wrong.
Thanks! and yeah I'm still disappointed with Target..they just did the toy reset for Christmas and all they did was move things and its still bare shelves, nothing new out at all. Sad I remember at Zellers we'd be adding 3-4 more rows to the toy section and getting in truckloads of new toys. Nothing compared to the 80's and 90's of course but still better then it is now. Zellers may have been a mess but I'd rather dig through a mess and find something then walk by the same empty shelves.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #33
Major Destruction
Super Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobralegion View Post
Thanks! and yeah I'm still disappointed with Target..they just did the toy reset for Christmas and all they did was move things and its still bare shelves, nothing new out at all. Sad I remember at Zellers we'd be adding 3-4 more rows to the toy section and getting in truckloads of new toys. Nothing compared to the 80's and 90's of course but still better then it is now. Zellers may have been a mess but I'd rather dig through a mess and find something then walk by the same empty shelves.
From what I remember, Zellers was almost always a mess. But you're right in the fact that there were desirable items, you just had to dig for them(but I guess that was also part of the fun of the hunt).
And as for as the comparison of how much stock the two carried, Zellers seemed to have a hell of a lot more stock onhand than Target(but that might have been part of their downfall). I remember scoring a lot of G.I.Joe ROC & POC for dirt cheap sale prices(just as good, if not better than Target clearance pricing). Some of you may be thinking ROC? Big deal. And although there were a lot of bad figures, there were some really good ones aswell.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #34
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Destruction View Post
From what I remember, Zellers was almost always a mess. But you're right in the fact that there were desirable items, you just had to dig for them(but I guess that was also part of the fun of the hunt).
And as for as the comparison of how much stock the two carried, Zellers seemed to have a hell of a lot more stock onhand than Target(but that might have been part of their downfall). I remember scoring a lot of G.I.Joe ROC & POC for dirt cheap sale prices(just as good, if not better than Target clearance pricing). Some of you may be thinking ROC? Big deal. And although there were a lot of bad figures, there were some really good ones aswell.
At Zellers the management always pushed to get as much on the sales floor as possible( wish I'd taken photos of the back before 2011 as it was so jam packed you could barely walk through let alone get a skid through) ...and it looked bad but in the end at least people could buy stuff. You can't buy it if its in the back lol.

As for having too much stock..it was good as Zellers made money..a lot more then Target is now. People always think Zellers went out of business but it was just bought out. I think it was Targets strategy to get rid of one of their competitors much like Sobey's buying Safeway and then closing or changing the stores

I loved the POC and ROC sales to and agree some of the figures might have been bad but there were a lot of good figures to. Its sure better then what we have now. The Stars Wars exclusives were great to and I wish I hadn't sold mine as they go for crazy prices now.

On the plus side for Target..they at least got in Count Chocula! sadly Franken Berry was sold out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reddeerchockula 052.jpg (94.5 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by cobralegion; 09-21-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 AM   #35
Major Destruction
Super Friend

You know, when we didn't have Targets up here, they had all those G.I.Joe & Star Wars exclusives down south. Now that they're here, there's no more exclusives.
Oh well, like you said Christmas resets are starting, and surely there will be some good scores around the corner from all the different retailers.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #36
cobralegion
Decepticon

Yeah everyone was excited and thinking we'd get all these cool exclusives but we were already getting them with Zellers. As long as you waited for a sale as they were so overpriced. Now like you said we get nothing. Hopefully we get some new stuff soon for Xmas..Elite Force would be great as I wouldn't mind another Hind.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:18 AM   #37
cobralegion
Decepticon

More scans..not the best as they were done years ago. First is Sears from 1984 and 1991.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sears84cw 002.jpg (99.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg sears84cw 003.jpg (99.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sears84cw 004.jpg (99.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sears84wc 001.jpg (98.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sears91c 005.jpg (98.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sears91c 006.jpg (99.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg sears91c 007.jpg (98.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg sears91c 008.jpg (101.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:26 AM   #38
cobralegion
Decepticon

more..Eatons 1993 and TRU 1995. The Eatons flyer was too big to scan properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eatons 001.jpg (96.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg eatons 002.jpg (97.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg eatons 003.jpg (89.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg tru95 001.jpg (98.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg tru95 002.jpg (94.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg tru95 003.jpg (98.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg tru95 004.jpg (97.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 01:35 AM   #39
cobralegion
Decepticon

How about old school mail in offers...never sent this one in as the one I had sent before this came back with PAC RATS instead of Vamps. Wish I would have for the Steel Brigade figure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm 009.jpg (98.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg mm 010.jpg (95.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg mm 011.jpg (99.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg mm 012.jpg (97.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg mm 008a.jpg (98.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #40
Robot rabbit
Clonetrooper

Those old catalog scans are like priceless works of art to me as a kid I spent hours looking at those pix. Dreaming of those toys lol. It brings back some great memories
Robot rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote