ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #3021
Robimus
Super Moderator
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webs View Post
They can double pack the upcoming Mandalorian characters like Kuiil but not the titular character? Anyone remember when they shipped out full cases of popular characters like the movie Black Panther around the release of the Civil War movie? Why not do that again?
My thoughts on Kuill are, its a half size figure they will be selling presumably for full price.

I agree, there is a lack of logic in their approach. Repacking Yavin Ceremony Luke, while making it near impossible for folks to find Din.

At least they got Grogu’s distribution right.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #3022
Ksteel
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
To create artificial demand. By keeping the Mando scarce it makes people want him that much more, so any other variant or release they sell, people will buy it. If they double packed every Mando figure people would eventually get tired of seeing him and stop buying him, but since he is short packed any time people see a Mando figure they want it REALLY bad and are likely to buy it due to being so rare. It's also not uncommon for collectors to buy something just because it is sought after or rare even if they have no interest in the figure at hand.
Its a good tactic. Look at how the Baby Yoda crap is all over stores now. It cheapens the demand for it. Meanwhile Mando/Din merch is far more scarce.
Ksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:57 AM   #3023
Robimus
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
Its a good tactic. Look at how the Baby Yoda crap is all over stores now. It cheapens the demand for it. Meanwhile Mando/Din merch is far more scarce.

Having it available, more at least more available, allows kids to buy it, get it for Christmas or a birthday.

Mando merch is so scarce I’ve seen his black series figure on shelves once in the past year.

To me, kids not being able to get the cool figure just means those sales shift to Batman or Marvel or Pokemon or Transformers.

Might not mean a lot for collectors, or the secondary market - but Hasbro should care about selling toys, not if something has additional value on ebay.

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 04:56 AM   #3024
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Having it available, more at least more available, allows kids to buy it, get it for Christmas or a birthday.

Mando merch is so scarce I’ve seen his black series figure on shelves once in the past year.

To me, kids not being able to get the cool figure just means those sales shift to Batman or Marvel or Pokemon or Transformers.

Might not mean a lot for collectors, or the secondary market - but Hasbro should care about selling toys, not if something has additional value on ebay.
There are plenty of Mandalorian toys for kids. Figures for $30 and up, are primarily aimed at collectors. Just take a look at placements in stores like walmart, where the Black Series and Legends are usually up high on pegs, whereas kids toys are usually on lower shelves.

Do parents buy Black Series for their kids? Sure, but kids are just as happy with smaller, less expensive figures, or the cheap 12" figures. Detail and articulation are only important to adults who've lost their sense of imagination (speaking from personal experience). Kids can do a lot with very little.
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #3025
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
There are plenty of Mandalorian toys for kids. Figures for $30 and up, are primarily aimed at collectors. Just take a look at placements in stores like walmart, where the Black Series and Legends are usually up high on pegs, whereas kids toys are usually on lower shelves.

Do parents buy Black Series for their kids? Sure, but kids are just as happy with smaller, less expensive figures, or the cheap 12" figures. Detail and articulation are only important to adults who've lost their sense of imagination (speaking from personal experience). Kids can do a lot with very little.
My kids are disgusted by poorly articulated figures but that might be my influence.

But honestly as a kid I was flabbergasted by GI Joe and 1983s swivel arm battle grip. The Star Wars figures and their 5 POA were so disappointing by comparison. Many kids don’t want 5 POA junk. They recognize that they can’t hold weapons or even sit properly. They want Vintage collection type 3 3/4 figure quality, but $17.99 is a bit much. Several years ago a highly articulated Clone wars figure cost like $9. The move to cheap 5 POA I think helps explain in part why sales of mainstream Star Wars stuff has been poor. The rest is explained by the suckiness of the new trilogy and kids more interested in video games.

Last edited by Marvellegendsguy; 12-03-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #3026
Drewton
Cobra Trooper

Yeah, it’s pretty insane how it’s impossible for a kid to get a good Mandalorian figure in store. I’ve checked the stores a lot and I’ve only ever seen one Mando, the first one last year because I was lucky enough to come when they were stocking. And as a kid I definitely cared about detail and articulation, for a figure to be able to move more was an obvious benefit to me.
Drewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:36 PM   #3027
Ksteel
Mutant

The Black Series stuff seems more geared for adult collectors with disposable income than kids. That's why I believe their strategy of keeping Black Series Mando scarce is wise. Especially after all the sequel, rogue one and solo figures have been pegwarmers.

I'm sure the Disney Store will have Mandalorian figures for children specifically, including those Toybox figures and the big talking figures.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:21 PM   #3028
Stryfe2026
Cylon Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksteel View Post
The Black Series stuff seems more geared for adult collectors with disposable income than kids. That's why I believe their strategy of keeping Black Series Mando scarce is wise. Especially after all the sequel, rogue one and solo figures have been pegwarmers.

I'm sure the Disney Store will have Mandalorian figures for children specifically, including those Toybox figures and the big talking figures.
Exactly, they have the Mission Fleet stuff geared towards kids, The Child animatronic, 6”,3”, posed and stuffed figures. They have toy box figures for the Mandalorian. I think they realized with Solo that 5 POA did not sell, as that is when the line really died. The vintage collection still sells though, so maybe they’re noticing all that.
Stryfe2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 05:42 PM   #3029
Ksteel
Mutant

Yup. And the Mission Fleet packs are pretty easy to find if you're shopping for kids.
Found this pretty easily;
https://i.ibb.co/Dg4s4TY/20201204-145347.jpg
Kids would probably love this more than a lone Black Series figure. I'd say Mando merch for kids is really easy to come by. It's really just the Adult Collector market where Hasbro is strategically limiting availability.

Also, York Region EBs all seem to have the Credit IG-11.... but I don't see the appeal of that figure. The colors are so weird.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:21 PM   #3030
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon

The Mandalorian and The Child coming soon to Toysrus
SKN 501406