ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 06-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #91
TouchToneDialing
Red Shirt
Re: Star Wars Bandai Kit Thread

Thanks!
TouchToneDialing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:12 PM   #92
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon

Love that weathering you did on 3P0 and the Astromechs. May I ask how you achieved it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my extra 3P0 kit.

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #93
TouchToneDialing
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Love that weathering you did on 3P0 and the Astromechs. May I ask how you achieved it? I'm thinking of doing the same thing with my extra 3P0 kit.
Thanks!

For C3PO, all the weathering is done with oil paints. Its the first time iv tried that and it was super easy. You just sort of thin the oil paint with turpenoid then work it in with more or less thinned paint. Its great to because if you mess up you can just wipe it away. Takes about 24 hours to dry but you can work with it for 1-2 hours which means its hard to mess up.

The others are a bit older and I didnt use oils for them.

For them its layering of weathering with a few very simple techniques.

First layer is chips using a silver paint with a brush on edges like around R2's eye. I also do a bit of general chiping with a sponge and silver paint like around R5's eye. Sponge is amazing for getting a natural look but its not precise.

Next I will go and hit certain areas with a subtle black wash. Most of the metal bits got a black wash but you notice it the most at the plugs on the ends of the tubes and dripping down.

Next is general dirt with a sponge like the more contrasting brown along the bottom of R2's body and the tops of their legs.

Last is a general wash of whatever colour fits your environment. I wanted these to be Tatooine dusty so I used a light brown wash I made.

Sometimes the order of the wash should change but to me it made sense that dust would be the final layer.
TouchToneDialing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #94
M4rtin
Red Shirt

What's a good place to buy R2D2, C3PO, and Millennium Falcon ?
I ordered from ebay but noticed seller was sending everything in paper bag with squashed box, so cancelled the order.
M4rtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:16 AM   #95
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4rtin View Post
What's a good place to buy R2D2, C3PO, and Millennium Falcon ?
I ordered from ebay but noticed seller was sending everything in paper bag with squashed box, so cancelled the order.
I had great experiences with this guy:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw...andai&_sacat=0

I did 2 orders from him, first 3 sets then another 5. Both shipped in boxes with a small amount of newspaper packing. All arrived in excellent condition and within a fairly short time period, about 2 weeks I think. His prices go up and down a bit, I'm not sure what's a good price for those sets right now.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #96
wedge1021
Mutant

Well, I finally got some free time, and finished up my first one of these: C-3PO.
Looks good, glad to have such an amazingly detailed figure for my 6" shelf (once I get around to setting that up, haha)
Old 07-21-2016, 12:49 AM   #97
MULTIPLEX
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Well, I finally got some free time, and finished up my first one of these: C-3PO.
Looks good, glad to have such an amazingly detailed figure for my 6" shelf (once I get around to setting that up, haha)
Yah he is great isn't he. Kills the Mafex C-3P0. I got one of those and it's garbage.

Let's see some pics, wedge. I haven't got around to posting new pics because I've been busy with some droid commissions.

MULTIPLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #98
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULTIPLEX View Post
Yah he is great isn't he. Kills the Mafex C-3P0. I got one of those and it's garbage.

Let's see some pics, wedge. I haven't got around to posting new pics because I've been busy with some droid commissions.
Here are some pics. Gonna give Phasma a shot next.