ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > International Action Figure News

Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
The End is Near for Toys R Us and That?s Bad News For The Entire Toy Industry

As the last toy-centric brick and mortar business from the booming toy era of the late 70’s to early 90’s, Toys R Us stood as a stubborn pillar of fun in a world quickly losing interest in everyday toys. After the closing of Lionel’s Kiddie City, the liquidation and sale of Kay-Bee Toys, not to mention Toys R Us’ own acquisition of FAO Schwartz, the toy retail industry was on borrowed time since the mid-2000’s. As a kid, and even now as an adult, I have always enjoyed trips to Toys R Us, preferring to spend my money there than » Continue Reading.

The post The End is Near for Toys R Us and That’s Bad News For The Entire Toy Industry appeared first on The Toyark - News.

More...
Old 03-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #2
cobralegion
Decepticon
Re: The End is Near for Toys R Us and That?s Bad News For The Entire Toy Industry

Sad. That will leave us with just Walmart for big toy sellers. I don't see how the 82 stores in Canada will continue on unless another buyer comes in and takes over. Their buying power would be a 10th of the company's now. Would someone come in and start a new smaller chain like we had with Toys and Wheels and Tops in Toys in the 80's?
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
Gphalen
Reviewer of Stuffs
Re: The End is Near for Toys R Us and That?s Bad News For The Entire Toy Industry

That would leave Canadians with online as our only viable source for new items. Wal-Mart Canada has to be the biggest waste of space calling itself a store. They haven't gotten a single star wars exclusive in the past 3 years. 50% of the 3.75 black series never made it to Walmart Scariff squad leader never made it to Walmart funko pop exclusives take 6 to 8 months to make it to Walmart. its just garbage. Thankfully Toys R Us Canada HAS NOT BEEN mentioned in the companies problems UK US both have been effected however its only a matter of time.

AT-ST $19 in The United States its been dropping for months
At-ST $79.99 same price as day 1 in Walmart Canada Its an Exclusive
Gphalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #4
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

I recall a Bloomberg article mentioning that TRU Canada filed for bankruptcy at the same time as TRU US, but they hadn’t made any new announcements when this latest announcement of a possible immediate shutdown for TRU US came out.
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Darth Cosmos
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkdog View Post
I recall a Bloomberg article mentioning that TRU Canada filed for bankruptcy at the same time as TRU US, but they hadn’t made any new announcements when this latest announcement of a possible immediate shutdown for TRU US came out.
First I've heard of that. But I don't see how the Canadian stores will survive if they're shutting down everywhere else.
Darth Cosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
cobralegion
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cosmos View Post
First I've heard of that. But I don't see how the Canadian stores will survive if they're shutting down everywhere else.
I agree. If they are closing all the US and UK stores and selling off the Asian branch it doesn't look good for us.Only way it could survive is if someone comes in and buys it.
cobralegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #7
Sharkdog
Premium Blend

Here's the Bloomberg article I was referring to: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...u-s-operations

The relevant paragraph being:

For Toys “R” Us, the situation has also deteriorated for many of the retailer’s overseas divisions, which weren’t part of the bankruptcy. Its U.K. unit put itself in the hands of a court administrator after discussions about selling the business fell apart. Its European arm is seeking takeover bids. And talks are being held to offload the growing Asian business, the company’s most profitable arm. It’s not yet clear what will happen to the Canadian unit, which filed at the same time as the U.S. division.

I bolded the relevant part
Sharkdog is offline   Reply With Quote