ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Hasbro Toy Discussion

Old 09-22-2022, 01:25 AM   #4901
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight
Re: Star Wars Black Series discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMegatron View Post
Thanks, so same as that Purge Trooper I reported above then. That's good for troop building.

Also, it hasn't been front paged yet, but the Walmart exclusive Jedi Ruins Bobba Fett is appearing at all my local walmarts in the Montreal region.

I just saw this at Walmart, $50 forget it. This might start to bite Hasbro soon. They might have increased prices to the point they are losing volume of sales. We shall see.
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:09 AM   #4902
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvellegendsguy View Post
I just saw this at Walmart, $50 forget it. This might start to bite Hasbro soon. They might have increased prices to the point they are losing volume of sales. We shall see.
In most parts of Canada now figures aren't even moving anymore. In haul videos and in my area figures just sit and toy aisle seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
Zeroflamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:22 AM   #4903
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
In most parts of Canada now figures aren't even moving anymore. In haul videos and in my area figures just sit and toy aisle seem to be getting smaller and smaller.
I think we're seeing the same as what's happening in the guitar market. Guitar sales went through the roof during the pandemic, as people had more disposable income, and way more time at home for hobbies. Demand was so high that they it far outstripped available supplies, and prices went way up (sounds familiar?). But now large retailers are cancelling entire orders, and clearancing what inventory they have as sales have fallen off a cliff.

And I expect to see the same in the action figure market. The boom of the last few years is over (aside from Spider-Man figures, which always sell). Prices are through the roof, and people are gearing up for an impending recession, or just spending their money elsewhere, like on travel, which is finally a thing again.

Add to that Hasbro's new blind boxes, figure swaps, and general lack of interest in many properties (Doctor Strange, Thor, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk on the Marvel side), and it seems like the writing is on the wall. Shit, Hasbro had TWO failed Star Wars HasLab campaigns this year.

Of course, last time I made any predictions about the toy market, I was completely wrong, so take it for what it's worth (but to be fair that was at the beginning of the pandemic, and no one had any idea what was going tl happen with anything).
philtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #4904
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtastic View Post
I think we're seeing the same as what's happening in the guitar market. Guitar sales went through the roof during the pandemic, as people had more disposable income, and way more time at home for hobbies. Demand was so high that they it far outstripped available supplies, and prices went way up (sounds familiar?). But now large retailers are cancelling entire orders, and clearancing what inventory they have as sales have fallen off a cliff.

And I expect to see the same in the action figure market. The boom of the last few years is over (aside from Spider-Man figures, which always sell). Prices are through the roof, and people are gearing up for an impending recession, or just spending their money elsewhere, like on travel, which is finally a thing again.

Add to that Hasbro's new blind boxes, figure swaps, and general lack of interest in many properties (Doctor Strange, Thor, Ms. Marvel, She Hulk on the Marvel side), and it seems like the writing is on the wall. Shit, Hasbro had TWO failed Star Wars HasLab campaigns this year.

Of course, last time I made any predictions about the toy market, I was completely wrong, so take it for what it's worth (but to be fair that was at the beginning of the pandemic, and no one had any idea what was going tl happen with anything).
I think it's more the price than lack of interest. Cause I see plenty of people from canada on YouTube and other social platforms that are talking about getting out of Hasbro lines cause the prices are ridiculous and expressing interest in going to other toy lines or going the import route. People are still Willing to spend money if the value is there but it just isn't anymore. I just can't see how Hasbro can fix what they royally screwed up here in Canada, and not just them but retailers too. Collectors are feeling very trapped here which is a problem as well. With terrible distribution they are forced to preorder what they want at full price and they end up drowning in PO's that they may not even be able to afford comfortably. They can't even wait for the price to go down either cause it never does or its so insignificant that all you save on is tax.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #4905
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroflamez View Post
I think it's more the price than lack of interest. Cause I see plenty of people from canada on YouTube and other social platforms that are talking about getting out of Hasbro lines cause the prices are ridiculous and expressing interest in going to other toy lines or going the import route. People are still Willing to spend money if the value is there but it just isn't anymore. I just can't see how Hasbro can fix what they royally screwed up here in Canada, and not just them but retailers too. Collectors are feeling very trapped here which is a problem as well. With terrible distribution they are forced to preorder what they want at full price and they end up drowning in PO's that they may not even be able to afford comfortably. They can't even wait for the price to go down either cause it never does or its so insignificant that all you save on is tax.
Keep in mind also that the Canadian market is tiny compared to the US. We're just an afterthought to them, if they even think about us at all...
Old 09-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #4906
Zeroflamez
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Keep in mind also that the Canadian market is tiny compared to the US. We're just an afterthought to them, if they even think about us at all...
I don't think we affect their bottom line much, you're right. But I still wonder what would happen if big retailers just stopped carrying these collector lines altogether here and it was only fan channel like GS and other indie stores.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:25 PM   #4907
corecutter
Cobra Trooper

1. The price has doubled since the beginning
2. The archive line kills any sort of resell value.
3. Repacks, repaints and exclusives are rampant.
4. Where's all the cool aliens and droids from the OT?
corecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:45 PM   #4908
Robimus
Super Moderator

Small compared to the USA for sure. But keep in mind Canada is still a market comparable in size to California.

California should not be an afterthought

Quote:

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 10:51 PM   #4909
philtastic
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimus View Post
Small compared to the USA for sure. But keep in mind Canada is still a market comparable in size to California.

California should not be an afterthought
California alone is actually 20% - 25% bigger than all of Canada. Now think about how much physically bigger Canada is, and the logistics required to move stuff around.

Just Southern California is 24 Million people, and it's basically just Los Angeles and San Diego, their inland suburbs, and the coastal towns in between.

So where would you put your resources if you had to choose...?
Old 09-23-2022, 04:20 PM   #4910
Robimus
Super Moderator

It’s not an either/or situation. Hasbro doesn’t have to pick one market - they already do both.

I may be missing something in the conversation.

You’re saying Canada is an afterthought or not considered at all by Hasbro. Clearly they do consider Canada, have retailers here selling their products. US retailer exclusives often find their way to TRU or Game Stop in Canada.

There was a time, say the mid 2000s, where US retailer exclusives were simply unavailable in Canada, period.

Like I say, maybe I’m missing where you are coming from.

PS: I compare Canada and California due to the very similar population numbers. 39 million Californians, 38 million Canadians.

Quote:

So where would you put your resources if you had to choose...?

Visit the official TFcon Toronto Website for all the details!
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote