ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 07-20-2021, 07:11 AM   #1
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions
Haslab Projects General Discussion

Hey all.

I figured I would start a thread that covers a general discussion about the different Haslab projects since we seem to be entering a new, more rapid phase of projects.

So I guess this thread can be a catch all for discussion if you so choose.

So to start.....

What's your thoughts on Galactus? As of this post, the project is at 7905 backers with 41+ days to go. So well on pace to make the 14,000 threshold.

Personally I am a little pissed at the 14,000 threshold, because I want easy to reach stretch goals, and I don't know if they will set realistic goals with such a high starting number. However I get the logic since the last 3 projects all went well above expected numbers.

Both the Sentinel and the Razor Crest had targets of 6,000, but both ended up over 20,000!! The Heroquest project had a target of $1,000,000 and was over $3,500,000!!

So those are gangbuster numbers no matter how you look at them.

Back to Galactus, what do you want to see for unlockable goals? Obviously the trending ideas are Heralds, but what else would you like to see?

I also think the upcoming Retro FF waves will go well towards filling in some holes that won't be addressed with the Haslab Galactus. I could see Silver Surfer, and the Terrax BAF being released in the Retro line, either as Fan Channel exclusives, or part of a second wave.
canprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 01:46 PM   #2
cli1ck
Articulation Junkie
Re: Haslab Projects General Discussion

I personally definitely plan on backing Galactus. I can see how some people are content with the Marvel Universe one, though. I have both the old Toybiz BAF and the Marvel Universe and still plan on getting this new Haslab one.

I can't really see there being much in terms of stretch goals. Like you said, heralds would definitely be nice. Other than that, Galactus is a what you see is what you get kind of character. Maybe a damaged head? Maybe a scared face for facing Reed with the Ultimate Nullifier? Maybe some beam effects/attachments? Personally i'd like to see a moon/planet with a couple bite marks and an alt chewing face, though that'd probably never happen

The real question for me now is whether or not to order the Mezco f4 set. But that'll be ~$1k in Fantastic 4 products..

EDIT: Actually, you know what would be cool, a small 6"ish Galactus. I mean he can alter his size after all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210304_143918.jpg (86.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by cli1ck; 07-20-2021 at 01:55 PM.
cli1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli1ck View Post
I personally definitely plan on backing Galactus. I can see how some people are content with the Marvel Universe one, though. I have both the old Toybiz BAF and the Marvel Universe and still plan on getting this new Haslab one.

I can't really see there being much in terms of stretch goals. Like you said, heralds would definitely be nice. Other than that, Galactus is a what you see is what you get kind of character. Maybe a damaged head? Maybe a scared face for facing Reed with the Ultimate Nullifier? Maybe some beam effects/attachments? Personally i'd like to see a moon/planet with a couple bite marks and an alt chewing face, though that'd probably never happen

The real question for me now is whether or not to order the Mezco f4 set. But that'll be ~$1k in Fantastic 4 products..

EDIT: Actually, you know what would be cool, a small 6"ish Galactus. I mean he can alter his size after all

I am definitely in for a Galactus, but I'll wait closer to the end of the backing period. I want to see what they offer for unlockables, but honestly in the end it won't matter. I want this bad boy.

I know they already said the first unlockable is a 6" figure. I don't think they will do anything "battle damaged" as an unlockable. I wouldn't mind some "Kirby Crackle" effects, or some display pieces to allow for "flying" heralds. A planet that fits in his hand would be kind of fun, but also a bit disappointing as an unlockable. Personally I would be fine with a couple figures and effects like the Sentinel.

If you really like the Mezco stuff then do it, but Hasbro is doing a FF retro line, which will probably get announced sometime this month (they said there will be more news this month). That would be a good example of brand synergy. Start the Galactus project, and then halfway through bump up FOMO/desire by showing a line that is made to go with him.

I am personally going to wait until after Christmas, but I am going to start looking at getting some MU 3 3/4" figures. I had some, but got rid of them. Now they would be perfect to get as a way of making Galactus even more humongous. By using the 3 3/4" figures in a display, you are basically doubling the scale of Galactus. That could make for some truly epic looking shots.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:58 PM   #4
lifedragon99
Decepticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canprime View Post
I am personally going to wait until after Christmas, but I am going to start looking at getting some MU 3 3/4" figures. I had some, but got rid of them. Now they would be perfect to get as a way of making Galactus even more humongous. By using the 3 3/4" figures in a display, you are basically doubling the scale of Galactus. That could make for some truly epic looking shots.
That is such a great idea. I've still got all my 3 3/4 inch figures I'll definitely be displaying them all together.
lifedragon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Not to be a downer, but I really hate the Haslab projects. I just think catering to these massively expensive and exclusive projects leads to the deterioration of the overall accessibility to regular collectors. Is it really feasible to buy a single, albeit massive, figure for $700 that can barely fit into a collection every 6 months? Not to mention that $700 can buy around 20 regular 6” figures. Is a Galactus worth 20 regular figures?

One last point and I’ll get off my soapbox, but the success of those figures will all but kill any chance for a regular Galactus release at retail. Sure, it may have been a touch smaller, but even at the 32” it’s not the proper scale.
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 09:59 PM   #6
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Will Canadians be able to back this though? It's saying only US residents on the sale page.
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:19 PM   #7
wedge1021
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBeltJohnson View Post
Will Canadians be able to back this though? It's saying only US residents on the sale page.
Pretty sure the "Open only to US residents 18+" is only for the 70,000 Marvel Insider Points Redemption code. Their shipping policy states shipping to Canada.
wedge1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 11:36 PM   #8
BlackBeltJohnson
Galactian Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge1021 View Post
Pretty sure the "Open only to US residents 18+" is only for the 70,000 Marvel Insider Points Redemption code. Their shipping policy states shipping to Canada.
Ok, I see. Thanks dude!
BlackBeltJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
Marvellegendsguy
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Not to be a downer, but I really hate the Haslab projects. I just think catering to these massively expensive and exclusive projects leads to the deterioration of the overall accessibility to regular collectors. Is it really feasible to buy a single, albeit massive, figure for $700 that can barely fit into a collection every 6 months? Not to mention that $700 can buy around 20 regular 6” figures. Is a Galactus worth 20 regular figures?

One last point and I’ll get off my soapbox, but the success of those figures will all but kill any chance for a regular Galactus release at retail. Sure, it may have been a touch smaller, but even at the 32” it’s not the proper scale.
To get the proper scale I think you would have to dress as Galactus
Marvellegendsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:06 AM   #10
canprime
Master of the Universe
canprime's Ebay Auctions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifedragon99 View Post
That is such a great idea. I've still got all my 3 3/4 inch figures I'll definitely be displaying them all together.
I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I saw it on another site, and it immediately clicked. I was like "d'oh, of course!!!"