ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #271
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys
Re: I open a toy & post it here... VOL 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle power eh View Post
Hellcat is actually Trish from the Netflix Jessica Jones series. The show probably premiered within the window in which the Thanos wave was released. Hasbro tends to sneak some lesser known characters into waves that are either supporting characters in their shows or comic events. They did this with Typhoid Mary who just made a debut in Iron Fist season 2.
Now that's some nice synergy! I've not explored the Netflix series' yet, but it's cool that they are adding some of these underused characters throughout the story's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Skyfire View Post
Huh. I was not aware of that. You're welcome? Or... I'm sorry??
Ladies and Gents, presenting my actual brother! However, I feel a more appropriate username would be Prowlfan85, or something like that.

Thankfully you never shared my collecting passion leading to me inherenting your Millennium Falcon!
Team Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #272
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

140-2
Hasbro- Star Wars- Black Series: Slave Leia

Ok let's just get this out of the way early on: How messed up is it that the first Leia to be released in a series that may or may not have success in the market, was the one where she was enslaved and made to wear a metal bikini? To make matters worse, she was the only female figure in a possible 28 releases before the Boshi Leia figure was released and then another 10 or so before her classic New Hope look. I’m not trying to be hyper PC, but this is a glaring omission for Hasbro and pretty tacky even for a line geared to predominantly male collectors. The truth is that female characters can thrive in the collector market without being hyper sexuallized, not only because us fellas are able to appreciate well written, diverse archetypes regardless of sex and gender, but also more girls are becoming collectors therefore we get more toys to collect and Hasbro sells more toys: it's a WIN-WIN!

Pros: Everything from the neck down looks good in as far as sculpt, articulation and a cloth skirt that does not hinder posability. Also has two key accessories/ weapons from the movie which is nice.

Cons: Another Leia another weird face sculpt. Sure it’s not terrible, but also looks a bit off. Her head also sits a bit funny on the ball joint so it looks like she is sticking her next out a bit.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #273
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

141-2
Hasbro- Transformers Prime- StarScream

I don’t think I gave Transformers Prime the credit it deserves and I promise that I will binge the series on Netflix soon, but you have to appreciate my point of view; this was the series that Hasbro cancelled the best Transformers Cartoon for. How could it even stand to compete with Transformers Animates? Short answer, it couldn’t, but that doesn’t mean that it was bad. Hell, It's probably a heck of a lot better than the stuff out now.

The Transformers Prime figures that I’m opening are part of a strange group of preview figure that were released before the series aired, with other completely different molds of the characters soon after. Not sure why Hasbro did this as it seemed like a really expensive thing to do, but perhaps these preview figures were simply to test the waters? In any case it will be interesting seeing the difference as I work my way through them all.

Pros: His robot mode really captures the spindly robot mode really nicely with a nice looking jet mode.

Cons: Unfortunately he’s a bit of a floppy mess requiring some work on his hips just to stand.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #274
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Whoopies! Forgot it was Thursday.

Last edited by Team Jetfire; 09-27-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #275
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

003-R
Playmates- World of Springfield- The Simpsons- Krusty the Clown
Release Date (approx): 2000
Current Price and availability: $17.99
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simpsons-pl...-/230846413236

I have mixed feelings about Krusty and this line in general. On one hand, I love(d) the Simpsons and feel that their super long running TV show, which has been a constant for most of my life, is a perfect muse for the collectible toy market what with literally hundreds of characters to choose, but on the other it represents what was at the time, one of the most frustrating and hard to find toys lines that I have ever had the displeasure of trying to collect. I suppose the popularity had something to do with it, but the collector market at that time was riled up into a bit of a frenzy with limited stock and terrible distribution in Canada, So much so that I’m not entirely sure how Playmates is STILL a profitable company. *cough-better-not-lose-that-TMNT-licence* cough. The line was pretty neat in that they all were microchipped to interact and “speak” when placed on one of the play sets. In some cases I think what they said was dependant on the environment that they were placed in? But I can’t really recall for sure. This was at that time when talking toys were all the rage, Star Wars EP 1 comes to mind, but unlike EP1, THe World of Springfield featured all the original voice overs so it actually a cool gimmick.

When all was said and done, I was able to pick up the entire first wave with the 2 playsets and a few of my other favorites Comic Book Guy and Groundskeeper Willie. I picked Krusty to review as I hold the episode where he was framed for holding up the Kwik-e-mart and subsequent trial as one of my favourite Simpson episodes. I will hand it to Playmates as the sculpting is pretty great and I do love all the character specific accessories that are included; I just wish he had somewhere to put them.

Pros: Nice cartoon looking sculpt that is right off the screen, nice accessoires with a neat interactive sound feature. I could see another toy company attempting another line in the future.

Cons: These were super difficult to collect at the time and the articulation is somewhat limited.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #276
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

142-2
DC Collectables- DC Icons- Green Lantern

Well, well, well DC. Yes you pissed me right off with no tight swivel, toys that break and cancelling entire lines, but I just can’t quit you… This Green Lantern is AMAZING. Sure there is some stuff that I could do without, but overall this figure is really quite remarkable.

Pros: The actual figure looks amazing and really captures Hal Jordan's likness really well, has lots of additional fists and forearms, a cool selection of GL constructs including the massive space suit that feels like a neat mech suit.

Cons: Everything feels so fragile and breakable. I should say that nothing broke, but the mech suit parts are just pressure-fit together and I was so nervous fiddling with them. The joints are also fairly loose on mine making posing a challenged when all suited up.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #277
Bludchylde
Red Shirt

How well do the DC Icons go with Marvel Legends? I've heard people say it works, but have never seen pictures of the 2 lines side by side.
Bludchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #278
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludchylde View Post
How well do the DC Icons go with Marvel Legends? I've heard people say it works, but have never seen pictures of the 2 lines side by side.
Not even close unfortunately. I'm not a big scale guy so it doesn't really matter to me, but the Icons are pretty short in comparison. Incidentally the new Essentials are too tall, so they only DC figures that scale are Mattel.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #279
Bludchylde
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Jetfire View Post
Not even close unfortunately. I'm not a big scale guy so it doesn't really matter to me, but the Icons are pretty short in comparison. Incidentally the new Essentials are too tall, so they only DC figures that scale are Mattel.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Bludchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM   #280
Team Jetfire
Probably old for toys

143-2
Disney Infinity 3.0- Inside Out: Fear.

If you have not seen Pixar’s Inside Out I highly recommend you check it out. I may have said it before, but I feel that it is a perfect example of how Pixar can take an original idea and create a beautiful movie with a narrative that most people can relate to in some way or another. It’s too bad that the company is now dealing with sequel-mania and allegedly unbecoming behaviour for creative execs, but I’m certain that if they are given the freedom we can expect more Inside out and less Cars 3, if you get my meaning.

Pros: A really nice sculpt that oozes personality.

Cons: Part of a cancelled video game.