ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Action Figure General Discussion

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
joshimus
Convention Exclusive
So, I just got the new Legacy Megazord and...

For an anniversary figure, it is quite the disappointment. I know it's a redo diecast parts version of a 2010 that I was never able to find and wish I had. Diecast can't be modified so I can't fiddle around and improve this one.

Now, as an owner of the first original one, this is where my disappointment comes from. For one, I don't get the knee nubs. If it isn't going to improve leg articulation, why have it. It just looks stupid and out of place. I get it, the parts are smaller so maybe this was the only way they could make it work. Then I think about the Masterpiece Voltron which I to own. They made that work for the legs, the black lions legs slide up the other two's asses and lock into place. No problem. Even gives MP Voltron knee articulation.

To be fair, I haven't watched Power Rangers for probably 15 years now. I barely remember the second crew post originals. I see the toys on shelves and I think of cheap KO knockoffs. I am so surprised that after 20 years Bandai still can't make truly awesome Zords. I remember many years ago the Train Megazord was a huge hit, but that's really that last bit I remember looking great.
I'm not saying this Legacy Megazord is crap, it is just that it had more potential to be greater than the original. Hell, for the 30th anniv. for Transformers, we are getting a 2ft Metroplex that looks DAMN good.
I guess comparing the Legacy to things like Voltron MP And Metroplex is unfair, but again as an owner of the original Megazord, I can tell you that the original stands above this one, not just literally in height but in overall design and aesthetics. It just looks better and that was 20 years ago.

Anyone else have thoughts on this or is it just me?
joshimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
StaticShin27
Agent of Shield
Re: So, I just got the new Legacy Megazord and...

Well one thing that's divided people recently on BOA's (Bandai of America) current toys is that in order to keep costs down, they've created their own molds.

Now the thing you have to remember about the 2010 mold is that it was made for the revamped MMPR season that aired that year. It was pretty much the only standard zord they released for that line so instead of making one stand alone robot, they tried finding ways of expanding playability to other figure sets. So the pegs and connectors have sorta become standardized like that for the "zord builder system". For example, you can interchange limbs between last year's Samurai Megazord and this year's Gosei Great Megazord if you'd like. I don't know if kids really dig this but BOA sure thinks they do.

On a personal note, I don't think the newer mold is bad but it's not anything exceptional either. Of all things to bother me about it, it's actually the shoulder pads and how high up they sit. The proportions are better I guess and doesn't have chunks for limbs but I mean if I want poseability, I'll buy the Super Robot Chogokin (I can live with 6" if it looks awesome )

Part of the problem really is the market and what BOA has to deal with (regarding Power Rangers). Now-a-days I don't know if parents are really convinced with spending even $60 for a megazord. Japan's kinda got it better since otakus are a given and they know there's a large enough market for them to cater stuff specifically to collectors. You also gotta consider how much longer and widespread the mecha and super robot genre has been around over there. BOA's starting to play around with the collectors recently but it's baby steps.
StaticShin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
joshimus
Convention Exclusive

Fair enough. Like I said, I haven't kept track of PR for some time now so it is understandable that I don't know the whole deal with it. From my perspective, the Legacy Zord feels inadequate compared to the original for an anniversary version. However, if BOA is just starting to play around with this stuff now for Americans, it is understandable they would keep it within scale and mixing with current Zords.
I just saw it as a lost opportunity for something special, like going from G1 Prime to MP-01 to MP-10. Now THOSE are certainly more improved versions of a classic. I guess I was expecting something a bit more special
oh well
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
JTCh
Toku

Hmm...I am probably going to pass on this then, thanks for the feedback!
JTCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
StaticShin27
Agent of Shield

BOA also has their fair share of laziness too though, so they probably didn't wanna make a new mold. The '93/'92 mold is probably long gone by now.
StaticShin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
solo0525
Undead

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshimus View Post
For an anniversary figure, it is quite the disappointment. I know it's a redo diecast parts version of a 2010 that I was never able to find and wish I had. Diecast can't be modified so I can't fiddle around and improve this one.

Now, as an owner of the first original one, this is where my disappointment comes from. For one, I don't get the knee nubs. If it isn't going to improve leg articulation, why have it. It just looks stupid and out of place. I get it, the parts are smaller so maybe this was the only way they could make it work. Then I think about the Masterpiece Voltron which I to own. They made that work for the legs, the black lions legs slide up the other two's asses and lock into place. No problem. Even gives MP Voltron knee articulation.

To be fair, I haven't watched Power Rangers for probably 15 years now. I barely remember the second crew post originals. I see the toys on shelves and I think of cheap KO knockoffs. I am so surprised that after 20 years Bandai still can't make truly awesome Zords. I remember many years ago the Train Megazord was a huge hit, but that's really that last bit I remember looking great.
I'm not saying this Legacy Megazord is crap, it is just that it had more potential to be greater than the original. Hell, for the 30th anniv. for Transformers, we are getting a 2ft Metroplex that looks DAMN good.
I guess comparing the Legacy to things like Voltron MP And Metroplex is unfair, but again as an owner of the original Megazord, I can tell you that the original stands above this one, not just literally in height but in overall design and aesthetics. It just looks better and that was 20 years ago.

Anyone else have thoughts on this or is it just me?
Could you take pics please .. Im curious of what that looks like .. I almost picked it up .. I noticed that the target version was way smaller the the original megazord.. Im curious if hes just as small or the same size .. I still liked it especially because they made a titanus that fit that zord ..
Old 03-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
JTCh
Toku

Well, I ended up grabbing one anyways since it's available on the toysrus.ca, just didn't want to drive around to hunt for it.
JTCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
joshimus
Convention Exclusive

I am pretty sure the Target version IS this version except this has unfortunetly die cast parts. I can take pics later tonight and post them tomorrow morning. Give people a better idea of the differences. It's still nice especially for those that never had it, but the original is much nicer.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
so556
Red Shirt

Mine just arrived today and I am contempt with it. I own the 93 version but it has been long lost, hence why I picked this one up. If I wanted to be nit-picky I would say they should have used die-cast for certain parts like sabertooth tiger's teeth and triceratops' horns but I understand that a majority of the die-cast going into the limbs is to make it have a good weight ratio so it can actually stand (and pose).

Anyway, I'm glad I picked this up as we dont know when we will see something like this again.
so556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
FreedomGundam
Red Shirt

For those interested, there were A LOT of pictures posted in a Cybertron.ca thread, including comparisons with the '93 Megazord:
http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=45927
FreedomGundam is offline   Reply With Quote